HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
K&B 1.0 cu Outboard

Been thinking building a big gnarly boat that would handle the K&B 16.4cc outboard. Anybody have any ideas? Plans? Anybody have any xp with this monster? I used to build and race onroad indoor cars but live on the water now so I am thinking big fat deep vee or a cat. What sez you?
scarymonster is offline Find More Posts by scarymonster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:02 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
K&B only built a very limited number of those engines so finding someone who has one will be a good search. If you have one, it'd be a rare collectable.
If you have one and want to run it, a .90 to gas powered hull would be the ticket.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
Hi Scary,
I have and couple of the 16cc K&B outboards.
I would recommend a tunnel such as the HTB360.
Yes these hulls were designed around a 7.5/11cc K&B, but they are very capable of handleing the power of a 16cc.
The weak point with these engines is the flex shaft(same size as a 7.5cc outboard), trying to push a larger hull will just cause it to eat flex shafts(been there, done that).
Prop is the most important factor on these engines. No bigger than 55mm in diamater with a little slip. Google "707 specialties" if you need to get a prop, just let Joe know what hull and if your will be running a tuned pipe or not.
ace16 is offline Find More Posts by ace16
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
Joe Monohan's site has been down for a while so you might have to try elsewhere.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Was thinking of a deep v and being brave and running it in the Gulf of Mexico or maybe the intercoastal waterways to start off with. The tunnel hull is cool but don't you need pretty flat water to run that? Since the flex shaft is the same as the 7.5, it seems to me that that giant engine is more of a show piece than a real performer. Please straighten me on this! I love the idea of a giant outboard but if I'm limited to a smaller hull because of a design whoops, then what is the point? What about a big v hull and dual 7.5's? What about a triple setup? I know I'm thinking like a wombat, but I like to be out there ya know?!?!
scarymonster is offline Find More Posts by scarymonster
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:26 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,952 Posts
Twin engines are 3 times the trouble so I'd hate to think of what 3 or 4 would be!
I don't know what your coastal waters are like in the Gulf but have seen what Lake Michigan is like on even calm days, I wouldn't run anything of mine out there! My insanity only goes so far.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
And Rons' insanity goes pretty far folks. I have seen it first hand!
Crewdogg998 is offline Find More Posts by Crewdogg998
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Why not run an inboard on a bigger cat or mono? That'll handle more chop and you don't have to worry about breaking the smaller flex shafts.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i've got plans on my computer that i found online for a cool mono if you're interested. they'd have to be scaled down though because they're for a 6ft boat. let me know if i should try and upload the plans
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob