HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:47 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Ballymoney
Joined Oct 2013
177 Posts
Am happy to supply details of position of cut out on bottom of fuse for anyone who wants to install this type of gear. The wheel is scale diameter and as per full size there is more door area aft of the wheel when gear down.
senntinel45 is offline Find More Posts by senntinel45
Last edited by senntinel45; Mar 02, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:49 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21flyer View Post
those that are in australia, where did you purchase the 808 from ?
I bought mine direct from Hobby88 along with a couple of power pods, all went smoothly
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:47 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsailer View Post
The Eagle has landed, Received my DG-808 yesterday in the mail. Package appeared in good shape, no damage or scuffs. Opened it up last nite and no damage to the contents. Decal sheet was packed in the bottom of the box. Will shortly do a thorough inspection of wings for twists/bows. Also will check fus and fin for alignment. Will probably be a few months in the "assembly" process. Have lots of questions regarding some stuff that's been covered in previous postings on this thread. Just need a refresher. Thanks to all for your contributions re: DG-808.
Jim
Hi Jim,
How's that extra item you purchased... the retractable wheel unit? Is it decent? Can/will you craft bay doors too?

I've been waiting about 6 weeks now and fear my wheel unit is lost in shipping
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:25 PM
United States, KY, Glasgow
Joined Jan 2014
21 Posts
Good luck with any FLYFLY. They should be call RTRB"s (ready to rebuild).
gocary50 is offline Find More Posts by gocary50
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:25 PM
United States, MO, Dexter
Joined Dec 2013
35 Posts
TT…..They forgot to include it with the 808 box, am waiting to see if I got charged for it on my credit card. Hope not!! Question: did you use steel cable for your rudder pull-pull, if so what did you use and your source. I'm thinking stainless steel fishing leader from WallyWorld!! Also what bellcrank did you use? Regarding the retract wheel, I may check-out Mr. Senntinel45's design.
oldsailer is offline Find More Posts by oldsailer
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:46 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
For the pull-pull I used Berklee Fireline with 65lb test. I also widened the exit holes at the back.

Just grab a solid type of fishing line that does not stretch.

Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Jim- I used the fishing string and did the pull pull system too- as Charles spec'd @ the Quebec Aerotow site. It was easy and wish I had done other ships that way.

In fact, Charles's build on the aerotow site is so nice, I sought of used it as the build manuel. Can't get any better than having pictures and complete descriptions of the final assemblies.
http://www.quebecaerotowassociation.com

Thanks again Charles!!!
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:38 AM
United States, MO, Dexter
Joined Dec 2013
35 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Berkley fishing line, who woulda thunk it. I am really having a tough time "catching-up" after being absent for 25 yrs. So much info on this site and others, Thanks to all. Not sure if Senntinel45 is going to eventually end-up with total retract via servo or not, maybe he can chime in here and tell us. I do like the design he has so far and it looks like he's headed toward full retractable gear. Winter continues to drag on, am totally tired of it!!
Jim
oldsailer is offline Find More Posts by oldsailer
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Oct 2013
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsailer View Post
Thanks for the info on the Berkley fishing line, who woulda thunk it. I am really having a tough time "catching-up" after being absent for 25 yrs. So much info on this site and others, Thanks to all. Not sure if Senntinel45 is going to eventually end-up with total retract via servo or not, maybe he can chime in here and tell us. I do like the design he has so far and it looks like he's headed toward full retractable gear. Winter continues to drag on, am totally tired of it!!
Jim
Jim am more than happy to post more details of the landing gear, am afraid it is a bit of a 'make it up as u go along'. I know that there are some superb retract units out there, however my intention was to make a very simple and robust system that would be structural and load the paper thin fuse through its formers and a carbon fibre crush tube (also tied to the front vertical former). I've attached a couple of hand sketches. I'm in bed at mo but will post position of cut out for wheel tomorrow night if you want to go down this route. Although I made the retract from a laser cut profile folded, it doesn't need to be that complex. Could be made from 2 flat profiles with cross joiner tubes and bolts and nuts.

Can post a dxf file of the flat pattern of the retract if you can get local access to a friendly fabrication outfit who might be willing to laser and fold it for you. The hinge is just a little mild steel one which I mig welded to the retract (just two spot welds)

As for making it servo operated, I guess the strut could be pushed fore and aft by a servo which would in turn lift the gear, but this would require the end of the strut to travel within the confines of a slotted runner attached to the top of the gear. Given the geometry of the way ive done this I think the servo might be under a bit of pressure, but will have a look at this in solidworks. I myself dont intend to make the retract come up again after comitting to a landing. im going to have the retract released to 'drop' by a small servo wired to the flaps which will release the catch only on full deflection of the flaps. This way I wont forget to lower the gear (and yes the answer is yes I belong to that exclusive club) on the bloody thing.Its just one less thing to think of I guess. After landing I will simply pop the canopy and re engage the lowered gear back up into its up n locked postion. thats the theory anyway. Hope this is of some help..
Ian
Last edited by senntinel45; Mar 04, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2013
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocary50 View Post
Good luck with any FLYFLY. They should be call RTRB"s (ready to rebuild).
True very true but im a sucker for them.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:03 PM
flying at SCMAC
Australia, SA, Hindmarsh Island
Joined Apr 2013
651 Posts
any one bought or know exactly how much has been assembled on the hobby 88 PNP version http://www.hobby88.com/shop/product_...ywdouohwhxfbla
ask21flyer is offline Find More Posts by ask21flyer
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:08 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,510 Posts
Have. Been looking at these dont look to bad at all
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:33 PM
Joined Oct 2013
177 Posts
Cut out detail.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Oct 2013
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
Nice work !!!
Hey Charles thanks. Just looked up your build thread its really great. Love that flying site. ive done the tailplane mod and increased (by 13") and tapered my ailerons. I was lucky enough to get a fairly straight fuselage, but like u had a willy wonka wheel . Im a design engineer by trade so couldnt help footering with a retract system that dosent retract LOL. But if its of benifit to some folks then thats all the better. Im interested that your covering was bubbling like that, I recovered completley as was doing the ailerons again.

Ian
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:56 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,099 Posts
My FlyFly DG is nearly finished, just got to balance it and double check the throws and mixes. Will post some pics.

The 3m moulded DG 808 is up on the Hobby King website. Available in the UK, USA, Europe and Aussie. No international sales o/a wing span. If FlyFly can ship a 4m glider, why can't HK manage a 3m one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra