HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:05 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Carbon Fiber Cloth AND Polyurethane

Need some advice. I was going to cover the Mini speedwing with Fiberglass cloth and Waterbased Polyurethane. I was just thinking that it may look really cool to cover it in a black carbon fiber weave cloth with the same method.

First of all would this work just like Fiberglass cloth does. Second would it turn out even close to the look of carbon fiber parts?

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:24 PM
Crashez-vous sans stress!
Chicago
Joined Nov 2001
374 Posts
I would think that you wouldn't get that slick shimmery look that shows off the CF weave because you have to sand the PU and that glazes it over (and it would be glazed over to start with if it's Satin-finish poly). I've never glassed CF cloth but I would guess that the really high-gloss sailplane canopies and other carbon-epoxy parts I've seen are laid up with buffed mold-release and finish resin so all they need is trimming and edge sanding when they come out of the mold; i.e. no sanding of the carbon/epoxy surface because it would scratch the finish.

Just my .02
Dan H. is offline Find More Posts by Dan H.
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:34 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,343 Posts
Go for the glass and paint!

Light cloth, dont think you'll need CF, but what do I know

If you do use CF, brush it on, add the cloth, and finish by spraying the PU on top.

I'd go for several coats of say, Minwax Polycrylic, under, and above the glass, But definitely paint it!

You will have to sand a bit, but a shot of primer, a nice light coat of paint, and I'd say it would be awesome!

It couldnt be too much heavier than several layers of Zagi tape, at least I dont think it would....

Dont forget to add some pinstriping! (or maybe flames or a lightning bolt)

Just an opinion, I'd experiment first, I want one too!
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Last edited by FANMAN; Jun 03, 2002 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2002, 05:55 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I have heard that for plane fuselages/wings cf is used as a tension support, that fiberglass is stronger for the weight in compression. if this is true, you'd be better off with fiberglass. also, I think the point for kenny is the look, so painting/priming defeats the point...

I think you'd have to vacuum bag it to make it look any good.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jun 03, 2002, 06:16 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
if its the look that you are after .....ultracote sells some iron on cover that looks just like carbon fiber...... I saw some at my LHS....pretty pricey at $18.95 a roll!.... I will be picking some up for a wingwarrior zipper project that I'll be starting.....
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152