HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:20 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Plotting my next project, a little help?

I got a chance to fly my friends slow stick with floats last weekend and I loved flyin off the water so much my next project has to float. I like the looks of the Herr Aqua star and I was thinking about making it into a twin. It would end up looking similar to a Gumman Goose. I have been looking around for a suitable power system for a bit and I think I have found something but I would like a second opinion before diving in, so to speak. I would get two EM 300H motors from GWS Driving little 4.75x2 scale props sold by hobby lobby, they are about 3/4 down the page, GP04720. I would get a 1600mah 8.4v GWS Nimh pack. Aveox virtual test stand says that each motor would produce 11oz of thrust at a pitch speed of 45mph drawing 8.1amps. Would this setup work well, or even get off the water? I plan on adding chines as in Acer's Her Aqua-Star build thread to keep the spray off the props. Thanks for your time.
Aceshigh84 is offline Find More Posts by Aceshigh84
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:59 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
748 Posts
Forget Converting Herr Aqua Star To Twin

I built an Aqua Star and I'd have to say it's more trouble than it's worth. If it's not built light it will have trouble getting off water. It definitely needs spray rails /chines as it tends to submarine. In my opinion it's also too small as it does not handle mild chop well. And if you're thinking of converting it to a twin, my guess is that the design will not handle the extra weight.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:10 PM
Willis ISD 1937 SchoolBus
Would you believe Willis?
Joined Sep 2004
157 Posts
How about this from foamfly. Thread is here: Pelican link
WillisTx is offline Find More Posts by WillisTx
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:39 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
Yah, Aqua Star does not have enough hull volume to handle the weight of the batteries. Mine was almost a submarine, even with minimum-capacity 3S Lipo pack, and I built it as light as the kit wood would allow. Tissue & dope on the wings, 0.75 oz fibreglass on the hull with dope only. Pretty little thing, though, and it flew fine from handlaunch on nothing more than one of those "super 280" ballbearing motors and a 4:1 gearbox. If I were to build another, I'd widen the fuselage about an inch, and use a lightweight brushless outrunner capable of about 150 watts, or maybe an Astro 010 with their aluminum gearbox.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:56 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Sounds like my semi goose will just be a pipe dream. Thanks for the heads up. I try to pick my projects carefully, money is tight around the dorm.
Aceshigh84 is offline Find More Posts by Aceshigh84
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:37 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
748 Posts
Herr Aqua Star Update and Other

I forgot to mention that my Aqua Star is glow powered with a Norvel .74 and I still have trouble with it. Does not like to ROW very well.

My other seaplane is a Lanier Mariner 40 powered by an O.S. 46. It is a wonderful plane! I have been flying it heavily for the last 3 summers. I'm guessing it has between 175 and 200 flights! It is now starting to show wear and tear as water friction has made its mark. But it's such a great plane I might just buy another one!

On the electric side of things I have on the building board a K&A Mallard www.kamodels.com This is a twin engine with a light full fiberglass fuselage. Having flown the Mariner 40 for the last 3 years, a fiberglass fuselage sure seems the better way to go. Less maintenance! With plastic covering one is always checking the seams, gluing them back down, etc.

Later
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy