HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:24 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
Question
Balancing a 550e Century Jet Ranger

I recently completed my Century Jet Ranger on my Align T-Rex 550e, and it's flying great.

In pod and boom form I used to fly the 550 using two 6S 2600mAh packs (that I use in my 500e) in parallel, but with the extra tail weight of the scale fuselage I need two 6S 3900mAh packs in parallel instead, to balance it.

I would really like to use the 2600mAh packs with the scale fuselage, since I have fixed-wing models which need the 3900mAh packs. I know I can add lead, but I'd much rather find a way of moving the batteries as far forward as possible into the nose of the fuselage. Does anyone know of a battery tray mod that will achieve this please?

Or what other methods do you use to balance your scale fuselages?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:19 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
Hi

I have a T-rex 600 in a Funkey Jet ranger here's what I did

Two 4S 4000mah's and a 2s life rx battery are held on with velcro straps. This makes my Jet Ranger balance slightly nose down.

I made an extended battery tray for AS 350 which works well.

Hope this helps
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:50 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
Your 600 solution looks neat. I can make one similar from aluminium angle from my local model shop.

What's the "base" part of your AS350 solution -- is it carbon fibre plate?

For either of those solutions have you had to drill extra bolt holes in the original frames, or have you been able to use existing holes?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
For the AS350 I used T-rex 600 base plate.

I cut it to length required and then used lite ply and gorilla glue to join the two halves together and aluminum was used for the supports. I had to drill two small holes for the lower self tappers, the top ones already mount on the existing plate. It's a very easy mod and has been trouble free since the start (fifty odd, 10 minute flights).

The Jet Ranger is mounted to the fuselage using aluminum angles, so I just bolted the battery mount to the angles.

As I didn't need cockpit details it served my needs.
Last edited by justy g; Mar 10, 2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
OK, I've just had a good look at my present setup, and it seems like a solution similar to your AS350 will be simple for my situation. There's a pair of holes in the side frames about 3/4" below the front of the stock battery tray which I can bolt the back end to, and then the supporting stays (aluminium angle or flat bar) can be suspended from the bolts which hold the stock canopy spacers.

Thanks for the ideas
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
Should work well.. Let us know how it goes
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
854 Posts
HI all a little question for MR abenn , hi sir what is the control board in front of the battery tray is it for scale lights , also what is a 30 to 60 size scale heli ? i ask as your know the answer
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:50 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,624 Posts
neil,
A 30 size heli is equivalent to a 550. A 60 size would be a little bigger than a 600 (50). The numbers are glow engine sizes, a 0.30 and a 0.60 CID displacement. I believe 700 helis are equivalent to the 90's or 0.90 CID.

HTH
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtneil View Post
HI all a little question for MR abenn , hi sir what is the control board in front of the battery tray is it for scale lights , also what is a 30 to 60 size scale heli ? i ask as your know the answer
The control board is indeed for my lights. It's home-made and strobes the red top, tail, and belly lights, and it starts flashing the red/green/white solid navigation lights at 6 minutes 40 seconds after the throttle was first set to 50% (i.e. lift-off), and switches them off completely at 7 minutes so I know it's time to land

The Century Jet Ranger is designed for a .30 size heli, but they give instructions for slight mods needed to fit an Align T-Rex 550, which has almost exactly the same main shaft to tail shaft distance. Unfortunately the instructions were not quite correct dimension-wise, but since it was an unpainted shell I'd bought ($100 or so cheaper than the painted one), altering the incorrect cutouts I initially made was not a big deal.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justy g View Post
Should work well.. Let us know how it goes
Well, first thing I realised was I needed to cut the projecting front bit off my stock battery tray -- didn't want to remove the whole thing because it's part of the structure. So I ordered a replacement aluminium tray for when I want to fly the model pod-and-boom. Then I realised I could use the new tray as my extension, instead of having to make one out of aluminium angle. The hangers are (or will be; I only had enough for one at the moment!) a couple of K&S 7/32 aluminium tubing flattened at the ends. I filled the two spare holes in the side frames with epoxy, and then drilled them out for M3 bolts -- they were 4 or 5mm diameter. Extended M3 bolts with aluminium spacers hold everything together. The aluminium hanger tubes will be painted matt black.

My two 2600 batteries sit on top of each other on the extended tray, and the heli balances nicely. Thank you for the ideas
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:57 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
Looks nice, strong and lightweight. Have you flown it since the mod?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:02 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
Not flown yet. Just picked up another piece of tubing for the second hanger, so will install that this afternoon. As I say, it balances just right with the batteries there, so my only question is how much flight duration I'll lose with the extra weight of the fuselage -- with my twin 3900mAh packs I was able to maintain my usual 7-minutes flying time, but I'm guessing it's likely to be around 5 minutes with twin 2600mAh.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
Enjoy your flights..don't forget to post some pics.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,119 Posts
A bit breezy this afternoon, but I had one flight with the smaller batteries on the extended tray. It flew just fine, and only took 49% out of the battery in 4m 40sec so I reckon I should be good for my regular 7-minute flights.

No flying pictures, but here it is on the ground.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
593 Posts
Nice bright colour scheme..nice and visible.

What' s the setup? Head speed etc?