Old Dec 04, 2013, 06:34 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Discussion
Transport cases?

Hi guys,

I am looking to make myself some airplane safe(or mail safe) transport cases for my indoor freestyle and pattern aircraft.
I am not exactly sure how to go about this. I have seen a few photos of other peoples cases, but I was wondering if anyone had insight about the finer points of building transport cases for 34" foamies?(pics would be great!)

Thank you!!

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2013, 06:49 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
It will end up way bigger than you thought it would

Here is a shot of mine, 3/16" ply with poplar wood in all the corners. Lots of funny angle cuts in the poplar !.
The lid is taped on.
The alternating tabs between the lid and the box hold the two in alignment so the sides can't bend in or out.
The blue insulation foam blocks take any "crush" loads for the large span of the top and bottom. Sides are sort enough that they don;t need anything.

The plane is suspended by the motor at the front in a block of soft foam, and the fuse in the rear.
You can see the strings pulling the plane forward in the front and down at the back .

Some soft foam blocks locate it in "roll". Other than that it is just floating in the box.

If the box is just to use in the car and get it in/out of the building safely in bad weather then 1" foam would be much simpler.

This box worked fine on a plane, but not sure I would trust it to send through the mail.
(When they x-rayed it at the airport they asked me if it was empty, it is very light and almost nothing showed up on the screen)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
780 Posts
We built a box from cardboard for Aaron's new Spies. We went to the depot to check out the insulation foam because we have seen it used successfully for F3P planes. We went next door to Costco and got a bunch of cardboard boxes for free and it took a few hours to get a really huge ugly box built to hold the plane. It works but we need another solution. Way better than getting your plane folded in pieces by the wind though. The wind blows in the winter and you can't even think about taking one of these planes outside, ever, without a box. We definitely see the same concern as you. Our box is a rectangle just bigger than the plane by about 6 inches each direction which makes it HUGE. It's about 4 foot x 4 foot x 16" deep.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
My problem is I have a contra in the plane now , and it won't fit in the box anymore
Already could not get the plane from the car to the gym because it was too windy.
So I need to either make a new box or modify this one.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
60 Posts
Would be nice to see additional photos, especially of boxes made from the insulating foam. Photos of the insides of the boxes would be real nice. I have heard from other sources that the insulating foam is the best way to get the job done.

How do you support and capture the plane top and bottom without damaging all of the carbon stiffening rods on the F3P planes? When I try to visualize what the inside of the box might look like it seems like a lot of little pieces might be required, but I will admit that as usual I might be over thinking the problem.

The Horizon Ultra Micro boxes work great. Too bad I don't have a foam injection molding machine and a tool and die shop in my basement. Wonder whether Santa could slip that by the wife?
DaveWhitt is offline Find More Posts by DaveWhitt
Last edited by DaveWhitt; Dec 04, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Left out a word.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
FWIW,packaging foam is not injection moulded.
The simply pour the raw beads into the mould and inject steam to cause them to expand and bind together. You can see all the little steam vents on most parts.
The tools are often sand cast from aluminum, using simple wooden forms to create the sand moulds.

But not something you could do in your basement

I will try to take some pictures of how my model is supported in the box. The idea was that it does not sit on anything hard, just sort of floats in there. Since it only weighs about 100 grams you don't need to hold it with a lot of force. I did actually compress the LG a bit, just to make the box a bit less tall.
Cutting off all the corners and keeping it small and light was to try to make it look smaller, in hopes that I could sneak by the oversize fees on the airlines.
Worked both ways, only had to pay for it as an extra piece of checked luggage.

Also helps when you have to get it in the car and through doors.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
780 Posts
It would be embarassing to show you guys the cardboard job... but it works. Design wise, lattitude-wise, we had a cross member the entire width in front of the wing spar but behind the LG and in front of the elevator. The height of these allows it to barely hold the LG off the "floor" of the box but keeps the plane within about 1/8 inch from the top of the box being careful that the "roof" of the box can't crush anything. The pieces from side to side should be placed where they do not hit the LG or any ladder bracing. We put longitude-wise pieces that match the ends of the wings and the elevator stabs. That keeps the plane from being able to move from side to side during transport. Then take a couple pieces of foam of some sort and build a little pillar bor beneath each wing tip and for the tips of the elevator stabs as well. That's just what seemed like it needed to happen this time. There are probably a lot more ingenious ways of doing this but unfortunately none are small when it's done... I felt bad about how much time went into it as well but in the end it was about flying or not being able to fly... we'll do it over and post the next version once this one is in the fireplace... lol...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ROLLING CIRCLE; Dec 07, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:56 AM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2013
726 Posts
Subbed
akfreak is online now Find More Posts by akfreak
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
59 Posts
To make it cheap, you can use foam board from doller tree. That's what im building mine out of.
Joseph
JosephSzczur101 is offline Find More Posts by JosephSzczur101
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:55 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Oh, ok, I was thinking about using plywood for the case, but foam could work.

Do you have any pictures?

Free
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:38 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Nice!! Thanks. Do you put these cases one an airplane, or do you drive?

Free
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:38 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Do you have more pics of your thunder?

Free
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
59 Posts
This is the new one im building, the last picture is the one I flew at ETOC last year and E-Fest this year. More pictures to come this week-end of both thunders due to broken camera.
Joseph
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
59 Posts
we drive, but can still be used for flight, just needs a lock, hinges, and a top. To protect the airplane in the box, you can do what Pat did. the nice thing about foam board is that its light (it will come in hand for weight on for airline= cheaper cost) and very cheap for materials to make the box.
Joseph