HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2012
209 Posts
Earl, It was meant as a compliment, your input is always top drawer. I would help if I could type input and use the word by correctly in a sentence. :-) Regards, Cliffc
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffc View Post
Earl, It was meant as a compliment, your input is always top drawer. I would help if I could type input and use the word by correctly in a sentence. :-) Regards, Cliffc
The "bragging" threw me off-it's none of that-I'm an old man, and I've made all the mistakes...If I can help someone enjoy the hobby without making as many,I have not suffered in vain...lol.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2012
209 Posts
Earl, I follow many of your threads there are enough that I am afraid to say all of them but the Fairchild, the Decathlon and Citibria and the jewel the Monocoupe. Monocoupes are one of my passions and one that I follow on all of the sites - Groups and Scale Builders. I am a retired Mechanical Engineer and was paid decently not to make mistakes but I've made my share and three other peoples shares. The only reason I wasn't fired out of hand was that I got things done and the net result was always forward.

Tonight I've got to make myself an alignment stick to the 1/6th scale motor and one for the 1/4 scale motor as I've got all of the pieces out of the sheets. Hopefully I catch up with you in person one of these days. Regards, Cliffc
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
Okay-listen, I'm working on some molds for the Cooling Air Ducts- I want to pull them with the hot plastic,over a form.

I made some out of Aluminum,but it was too thin,and developed stress cracks after a season of flying.

This PETG should be more tolerant, I believe...and definitely more scale-like.

If I get any I like,we'll see how they hold up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Apr 30, 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: add pics.
Old May 01, 2013, 09:33 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,419 Posts
I need the duct work as well. That is a cool idea, I think I will copy it.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old May 01, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc View Post
I need the duct work as well. That is a cool idea, I think I will copy it.
These aren't vacu-formed,just pulled manually over a wood mold...Very easily accomplished.

Just do it......
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 01, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old May 01, 2013, 11:04 AM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,419 Posts
I do that with lots of small parts, just didn't think of it for the shrouds.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old May 14, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined May 2012
209 Posts
Earl good business on the eyebrows for the Continental Engine.

I've got a question. I've got my 1/4 scale and 1/6 scale builds along to the point where I want to protect the rocker boxes from hanger rash. I've got a life time supply of micro spheres that I got as a door prize at a dinner at the Toledo show. I've never mixed it with anything but I can envision even mixing it with 30 minute epoxy having a pretty viscous mess to try and ladle into these very fragile plastic RB covers. I was thinking about using a soda straw and just filling each of the covers about level full and adding a few drops of CA. That said I know that I've read that folks use talc as a filler with CA but that the reaction actually smokes - I assume that means that the reaction gets hot - probably not a great idea for these very fragile pieces. Like wise I've got Duco and Formual 500. I'd like some thing that when stirred up about 50-50 would still pour and be self leveling and not shrink or distort the covers. Any tips? I've got a lot of micro spheres so doing an experiment wouldn't be too bad. Regards, Cliffc
Old May 14, 2013, 05:24 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
I messed up so many of those things,I had to order more......I can SHOW you what micro beads and CA do,when they "kick-off"-In one of my pics , the front left valve cover has wrinkled from the heat reaction....not one of my better moves !

In subsequent efforts,I started with 1/4" balsa blocks,cut to fit inside the valve covers, filed and sanded to conform to the angles and curves.

When the first one is done, the other three are easily sawn to rough shape,from the pattern.
I used clear silicone bathtub caulk as a 'bed' to settle the blocks into,and that filled all the open spaces around the block,solidifying the fragile covers.-"Fragile" is not a derogatory description,here..In order to get those fine curves reproduced,the plastic is necessarily thin.

I'd recommend a 'slurry' of white glue, epoxy, or such,if you use the micro beads. Heating the filler will help it 'flow', which is where I had the most problems-you can't smooth it out with a paddle,it just 'pulls' it along.

Any added weight is negligible, for the longevity of the covers.

I still haven't found the 'best' easy way.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2012
209 Posts
When I earned a living as Mechanical Engineer, I worked for a firm that made equipment for nuclear power applications. It was pretty good equipment with generally a good reputation for reliability. We were famous for using a belt and suspenders approach to solving problems. In that vein, I sent an email to John Valentine at Top Notch Products along with posting to this thread. Here's his take on the objectives of the mission and a nod to how customer responsive he is.

"Hi Cliff, I am glad you contacted me. Do not use CA, way too much heat. Both Epoxy and CA are exothermic and will produce heat when they trip.. If Epoxy is allowed to pool, it to will likely produce to much heat and destroy the parts. Your 30 minute Epoxy should work but don't allow it to pool in the part, just apply a thin layer and let it cure, about 1/16" of the mixture should do. You don't really want the rocker covers to be filled, just hardened.

Best Regards,
John Valentine
Top Notch Products Company
Phone 615-866-4327
www.topnotchkits.com"

It just reminds me that because a part looks like a cup doesn't make it a cup. I do like the balsa and RTV approach. RTV is a little like duct tape as it has a thousand uses and aside from the nasty smell it's a good filler. I am finishing up the cylinders and going to give them another coat of CA followed by paint and then I am going to take on shaping the item 31 cylinder head and the Rocker Boxes. One thing for sure is that I've got a lot of little bits of balsa around. Regards, Cliffc
Last edited by Cliffc; May 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: missing quotation mark
Old May 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
"Top Notch Products"

Mr. Valentine is top drawer-both in the quality of his work, and customer service, -second to none.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,355 Posts
Cheaper plastic dummy Cub engine. Cylinders only $1 each

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...c1b9045a24bfa5
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 24, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Cheaper plastic dummy Cub engine. Cylinders only $1 each

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...c1b9045a24bfa5
Thanks for the link.-There's a good cross section of engines and parts there.
RCG Plus Member