HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
901 Posts
Discussion
Flipped Tail?

I acquired some tail drive bits that may have solved the speed issue so the 450 size MD-500 may be back on the build table soon.

In the meantime I have been looking at what else I need to do to flip the tail rotor shaft over to place it true scale on the left and have fabbed a mirrored tail pitch arm to retain it on the bottom out of view.

My question is if anyone else has done this and, if so, were there any control issues. On the full size the main rotor spins opposite, so the aerodynamics are also completely different. With stock main rotor direction, there is the possibility the vertical fin could blank the tail rotor.

Just wondered if I'm wasting my time. "Lipstick on a Pig" as we used to say.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:31 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
nah !!! i did it and fliped blades and direction of spin and worked perfect. im working on a 600 size md500 now and fortunatly for me the esp tail can be fliped with minimal efort since the tail was built semetrical . go for it !!!
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:33 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
I acquired some tail drive bits that may have solved the speed issue so the 450 size MD-500 may be back on the build table soon.

In the meantime I have been looking at what else I need to do to flip the tail rotor shaft over to place it true scale on the left and have fabbed a mirrored tail pitch arm to retain it on the bottom out of view.

My question is if anyone else has done this and, if so, were there any control issues. On the full size the main rotor spins opposite, so the aerodynamics are also completely different. With stock main rotor direction, there is the possibility the vertical fin could blank the tail rotor.

Just wondered if I'm wasting my time. "Lipstick on a Pig" as we used to say.
Hi,

I have done it with my 600 size Apache and a Apache has a huge tail area and its no problem.

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman