HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Talked to Atlanta Hobby today and he suggested that I don't upgrade to 3.14 until a update is made. Im assuming that means to stay at 3.12? Also, Im reading that the prop nuts can loosen. Are you all loctiting or using nylon lock nuts?
There is no need to upgrade the firmware unless you're adding a gimbal. 3.12 has had very few reports of problems.

Do not use loctite on your Phantom.

Prop nuts, just check them prior to flying and you should be fine. Mine haven't moved since I installed them.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the craft. Play around with CL & HL so you know how they function. Homelock can save your craft.

Oh yea, practice in a wide open field.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,193 Posts
@hidaven

Quote:
Talked to Atlanta Hobby today and he suggested that I don't upgrade to 3.14 until a update is made. Im assuming that means to stay at 3.12? Also, Im reading that the prop nuts can loosen. Are you all loctiting or using nylon lock nuts?
Good advice for now on v3.14.
I've not updated anything.
I'd stay away from loctite unless you are careful not to get any on the plastic prop.
Loctite degrades plastic over a period of time...
Some pilots feel the need to use the nyloc nuts.
If you use non-DJI props, you have to be able to grasp the motor bell well to tighten the nut...
FWIW, I've been flying several DJI airframes for a few years now with various props.
I've never used loctite or the nyloc nuts, and I've never had a prop loosen.
You're no newbie, so I won't give you a lecture on how tight a prop nut should be torqued.
What you do on the other props you fly with will work fine on the DJI stuff...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,204 Posts
Yes after loosing a 18x18 prop soon after THIS flight, I check the props ever couple of flights. : )
This prop was a GM, collet carbon fiber prop at 155.00

160 MPH Enigma climbout (8 min 8 sec)
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
Yesterday I flew FPV via the Fatshark stock antennas over 1300 yards and when I turned, I lost the signal for a few seconds.

Yesterday afternoon the 3 lobe Bluebeam replacement arrive and I wanted to compare it against the Fatshark's antennas.

You'll see in the following video that I backed up instead of turning to maintain the signal, which worked great. Around the 2:34 mark in the video, the quad is 1332 yards away. This video was via GPS/ATTI mode.

On my next flight, I did the same test but this time I yaw/turned back home and I did not lose the signal. I did lose some signal as I was coming back, but I just released the stick and the signal was good again. I flew via ATTI and the video was really shaky(8mph wind), so I posted the other. Oh yea, the voltage reading was 11.15V's when I turned for home. This was the same battery I was using when I had to land inside the fenced area the other day. So I flew back parallel to the road so if I did run low and had to land, I'd be on the correct side of the fence In the end, I was at 10.95V's when I arrived home.
I'm also including a Google Earth image showing where I flew to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG5HR5o962Q
There must have something wrong with my gear. I barely reach 300 mts of range

I'm using FS Attitude 5.8GHz + Spironet antennas + ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter.

Here's my practice spot:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=-22.8...=h&dg=opt&z=16
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Cardiff
Joined May 2013
100 Posts
Went to the beach the other day and filmed this...

I wanted to challenge myself, so kept it to one location, 90% in manual mode, using stock Phantom and controller, and a GoPro, with NO gimbal and NO FPV.

DJI Phantom Video Contest - A Day At The Beach (1 min 57 sec)

Please hit "like" if you like it, since the competition is an unfair one, based on the number of "likes" (hmmm :/ )
domkane is offline Find More Posts by domkane
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domkane View Post
Please hit "like" if you like it, since the competition is an unfair one, based on the number of "likes" (hmmm :/ )
Good idea to place that here, will sure get you some extra votes.

But I regret, not mine.

I think, that this thread is no We love these kids helping DJI sales by spamming within technical issues thread . Sorry
gervais is offline Find More Posts by gervais
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac D View Post
If they aren't searching through one long thread for answers, why would they bother to do so with 100 similarly-named threads?
If you look in the main directory, there are already what seems like quite a lot of DJI and Phantom threads here.
I would much rather search through one SECTION for an answer, than one therad, that has ALL answers to ALL questions. Does that make sense?

So if i was having gimbal problems - I could check or search the gimbal section...

That's how most forums are organized. IE: A phone forum. Could have ALL android stuff in ONE thread. How insane would that be, given the different number of phones (samsung, HTC, etc) and types of issues/questions.
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Cardiff
Joined May 2013
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post
Good idea to place that here, will sure get you some extra votes.

But I regret, not mine.

I think, that this thread is no We love these kids helping DJI sales by spamming within technical issues thread . Sorry
Sorry guys, didn't realise this was a technical issues thread, I thought it was just a generic Phantom one.

Apologies... Unfortunately the way the competition works, forces entrees to basically spam people.
domkane is offline Find More Posts by domkane
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,193 Posts
Specific Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
I would much rather search through one SECTION for an answer, than one therad, that has ALL answers to ALL questions. Does that make sense?
So if i was having gimbal problems - I could check or search the gimbal section...
That's how most forums are organized. IE: A phone forum. Could have ALL android stuff in ONE thread. How insane would that be, given the different number of phones (samsung, HTC, etc) and types of issues/questions.
I've been on the DJI threads for a good while.
I've seen attempts to sort the threads out into more specific topics.
It has not been successful because the various posters won't keep their posts topic specific.
Most posters here are having trouble and want help ASAP.
That's why you'll find the same post on several threads.
That's why you'll find Phantom posts on the Naza GPS thread.
Most of us "helpers" keep half a dozen threads up on their computer and answer questions regardless of where they appear.
I guarantee you that if I told a poster he was on the wrong thread, he'd bite my head off...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I've been on the DJI threads for a good while.
Most posters here are having trouble and want help ASAP.
I can't argue with that. I think this problem exists for all forums, however, I think having the right structure and moderators that move topics around to their appropriate spot, could make it much easier for those users that stick around and are continual users of the forum. The way it's structured now, (1) I think we lose alot of information as it's difficult to search one thread - it's much easier to search a section of the forum, and (2), we lose alot of efficiency and add clutter because we have to repeat the same information multiple times as the same questions arise.

Of the 10 forums I am on (phone, computer, car, etc), this is by far the most unorganized. I mean, one thread for a major multirotor product?

Not a big deal - from my experience, I just find the structure of this forum to be very abnormal from other enthusiast forums.
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2013
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
There must have something wrong with my gear. I barely reach 300 mts of range

I'm using FS Attitude 5.8GHz + Spironet antennas + ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter.

Here's my practice spot:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=-22.8...=h&dg=opt&z=16
I'm no expert, but I'll try

Is the Vtx antenna pointing straight down? And is the goggle antenna pointing up?

I sit in a chair when flying FPV and I fly straight out w/o any obstruction between the antennas.

I looked at your Google Earth image and I don't see any radio towers or such in your area. I have no idea why you're not getting more distance????????
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined May 2013
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUESTPACT View Post
Hey guys after months of tweaking I finally achieved some good footage with our DJI Phantom

Check out the vid! and like you youtube!
Great video! Are you a professional photographer? Editing was excellent.

I can't believe you got 4 dislikes. Must be other contestants.

Best of luck!!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2013
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Yes after loosing a 18x18 prop soon after THIS flight, I check the props ever couple of flights. : )
This prop was a GM, collet carbon fiber prop at 155.00
That thing hauls butt!!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
159 Posts
Flyboy... I'm following your FPV trials with great interest -- and flying FPV myself very cautiously, as I am still learning the ropes.

I have two antennas, one 3-lobe, one 4-lobe. I presume they are Blue Beam or similar (the base is blue). Am I correct that the 4 lobe goes on the Phantom/Fatshark TX?
saskwatch is offline Find More Posts by saskwatch
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2009
159 Posts
Wangta... there is a very ancient and helpful Eastern tradition that goes like this: Once you've raised an objection or made a suggestion three times and it has not been accepted, that is enough. Time to drop it and move on to another idea. I think you're up to about five or six....

also... if you learn the advanced search techniques available with Google, I think you could quickly ferret out all the information you can possibly need. Just a suggestion (which leaves me with two more to go).
saskwatch is offline Find More Posts by saskwatch