HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Yeah, I saw the split elevator idea. Very good idea. ... How did you ensure that the incidence of the elevator was correct when you glued it in place?

I thought I also read that you were doing a 6s setup. No?
The incidence is close, I used the existing (FF) mounts so that kept them in place while the epoxy was drying. I then looked at the Hawk very carefully from the front, making sure the alignment was good. They are strong and straight now.

The full flying elevator is nice, no question about it, but in a foamie the mount has to be VERY strong and VERY rigid (flutter). Even on composite planes there is a real danger of flutter. My Tam F-16 (160+mph) has a FF elevator (actually tailerons) and the mounts are massive all metal with massive ball bearings and ultrarigid linkages and massive twin JR digital servos.

No I have an 8S setup (motor kv=1250) that is good to 9S (at least).
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 01:10 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
There's these Tacon and Leopard motors, look around at what people use in the CS 12bl fan on 6S, maybe there's one that holds up.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m812-3674-1700kv.html

I prefer to spend a bit more on motors and ESC's as they tend to outlast the aiframe quite a bit. And, there's the reliability issue, if the motor melts it is a real pain to get it out of there.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
There's these Tacon and Leopard motors, look around at what people use in the CS 12bl fan on 6S, maybe there's one that holds up.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m812-3674-1700kv.html

I prefer to spend a bit more on motors and ESC's as they tend to outlast the aiframe quite a bit. And, there's the reliability issue, if the motor melts it is a real pain to get it out of there.
I'll go ask the guys over there if they've tested this motor out. Thanks for the link.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
You guys will not be dissapointed with the flight on this model. I also fixed the elevators to have some peace of mind. The first two flights were with full moving and then I just glued them in the neuteral position. The back of the elavator was slightly higher than the line of the fuselage.
Enjoy the build.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old May 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Thanks for the info, that helps. My elevators are aligned so that the back top is flush with the fuse top. We shall see ...

I suspect many Hawks have been lost (and as a result are not flying any more) because of the full flying stabs getting ripped out eventually. Cool looking but in the long run a recipe for disaster imo.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Thanks for the info, that helps. My elevators are aligned so that the back top is flush with the fuse top. We shall see ...

I suspect many Hawks have been lost (and as a result are not flying any more) because of the full flying stabs getting ripped out eventually. Cool looking but in the long run a recipe for disaster imo.
With you on that.
Problem ist that these kits were made for maybe 1200w setups. Now days we are flying them on 2000+. Unles you glass and strengthen them you will be picking up a lot of foam.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
With you on that.
Problem ist that these kits were made for maybe 1200w setups. Now days we are flying them on 2000+. Unles you glass and strengthen them you will be picking up a lot of foam.
Maybe the older FlyFly planes, but their Hawker Hunter was built strong. I was able to push 3kw and over 125mph out of the plane with minimal reinforcement. No glassing was needed. Granted it was EPO foam and not the EPS foam here which is more delicate, but still not bad for a foamie.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Maybe the older FlyFly planes, but their Hawker Hunter was built strong. I was able to push 3kw and over 125mph out of the plane with minimal reinforcement. No glassing was needed. Granted it was EPO foam and not the EPS foam here which is more delicate, but still not bad for a foamie.
Yip - and it flies with authority too. I actually think that it has some good potential comparing to the Mirage in terms of speed - not a lot of drag with huge intakes and a slick fuse......

Back to the Hawk
Old May 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
I almost picked up the Hunter . Yes they were meant for less power but that FF tail is just a disaster waiting to happen. I agree EPO must be a bit stronger.

On the Hawk it feels like the wing is plenty strong (thick).
Old May 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Supplied canopy lock at the back, ply tongue at the front.

Scoops installed and later touched up with red paint.

Old May 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
For some reason my metric (3mm) wing bolts were too short ... Had to find some longer ones.

Old May 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
I secured the battery tray, after gluing in plenty of velcro straps.

There is plenty of space for batteries, which is good I tested the CG and it seems to work with either 8S, or 9S 3300's Gens Ace

Old May 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,009 Posts
Weight ready to fly is :

Fuse : 67.8 oz

Wing : 23.2 oz

Battery 9S : 30.6 oz

--------------------------

Weight rtf = 121.2 oz = 7.6 lbs = 3.4 kg
Old May 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,687 Posts
Herb, as usual a superb build log. I plan on doing this same jet in the Fall so this build log will be my reference. I may use the JetFan-90. I may have missed the post but could you post a photo of your elevator servos and where they were mounted. The fixed stab with elevators is definitely the way to go.
Thanks,
-dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,310 Posts
I agree with Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, great build log. Keep them coming. Do the MB339 next.