HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
829 Posts
The "Fling" and any other sort of glider proclaiming to be some sort of majic bullet to get you soaring after the first few flights are just bogus. The Fling is what it is, and in the hands of a capable pilot you might be surprised.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
VFA-132 Privateer
upstate NY
Joined Dec 2003
733 Posts
Well, I got it together, it's actually not a bad look and noting what I had heard I didn't expect any impressive performance however a learning tool... stepping stone if you will. Some reading found that a smarter individual would give a couple javelin throws to trim. Sounds good....
Toss number one, very soft.... noses down..... add up trim
Toss number two, a little more effort..... too much up trim but she floated a long ways in my mind. I'm starting to feel better about this....
Toss number three, not violent but a good firm throw.... trim not bad, nice, floaty and smooth. This is going to be cool. Nice soft landing, wings level, slightly nose down....... and this.
Seems to me a weak spot created by the exit and given the nature of the build it seems the only part that might be saved is the wing itself.
I'm not thinking I'll have much luck with Great Planes on this however and if I get stuck with Hobby Services I'm totally screwed. I could, I suppose pay $50 plus shipping to have them tell me yeap, it broke but it's not our fault.
I must say I really used to be fond of GP built planes but this is now my second issue with them and as we know Hobby Services is as heartless as the day is long. I'm thinking I need to let them go.....
Oh well, back to the helis.
bri_877 is offline Find More Posts by bri_877
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,476 Posts
Your pictures define what the Fling is all about. JUNK. Sorry for your experience but you are not the first nor the last to learn the Fling's shortcomings.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
Don't throw it away, you could still make a decent sloper out of it.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,582 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info. I was seriously thinking of buying one. You have spared me the agony. Sorry about your bad experiences, sometimes Great Planes aren't so great.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Happy, lost in the wine cellar
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Jan 2005
109 Posts
It looks like the Gambler is back in production, with some improvements. I have an older version and have no complaints. The DL-50 looks interesting.
tippodriver is offline Find More Posts by tippodriver
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,193 Posts
To Anyone Interested in DLG:

I highly recommend the Gambler, the DL-50 or the QuikFlik II.

I have experinece with all three, and they are rugged, enjoyable airplanes and will long outlast your neophyte days as a DLGer.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,262 Posts
+1 I bought one, built it, tossed it a few times, and GAVE it away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Where are you reading these "good reviews"? The Fling really isn't a very popular DLG; the word is that it's too heavy. It should be good for launching practice though, and you'll have a chance to decide whether you want to buy something better and really get into it.

If it was me, I'd just whittle a little wood away so the elevator arm clears.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D