HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:55 AM
Lake Country.British Columbia,Canada
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
What a huge difference in how the foil feels........................

Just swinging it in the living room and it feels like it is straight, and will kite upright.

The resistance to kiting upright as described in the ealier post is completely gone.
canada_jim is offline Find More Posts by canada_jim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
To be clear, the string diagram I used was not the one posted ealier, but one provided by Popad that he modeled in surfplan.

This modeling was for a slightly different airfoil, more like a Clark "D", but it seems to work a ton better than any of the HK set-ups so far for me atleast.

The diagrams are attached...........
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
I flew this re-strung HK foil yesterday and it performed fabulous. Ended up corkscrewing in due to a unrelated radio lockout, but prior to that it was awesome. What was really cool is; it's been along time since I could run as fast as one of my models in lock-out.

Thank-you Popad, for sharing your schematic................

Sorry, nobody to shoot video................
Last edited by canada_jim; Feb 04, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:54 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_jim View Post
I flew this re-strung HK foil yesterday and it performed fabulous. Ended up corkscrewing in due to a unrelated radio lockout, but prior to that it was awesome. What was really cool is; it's been along time since I could run as fast as one of my models in lock-out.

Thank-you Popad, for sharing your schematic................

Sorry, nobody to shoot video................
Anxious to seen some video!....I will restring one parachute from HK,soon,after the scheme of popado!..Cheers
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
I'll do some re-building this week, but the status of my electronics.............will dictate when it flies again.

I'll try for some video next time for sure Nadine..............

The Popado measurements are definately the charm for the Hobbyking parafoil. I think the foil is still a great value based on where I'm at now with it. I don't mind the bench time to get something that flies as nice as this.

I'm suprised Hobbyking doesn't just throw a roll of braided line in the bag with foil, and a similar calc. sheet, and say fill your boots.................that is what the pricepoint would dictate.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
RC Paramotor Pilot
Brasov, ROMANIA
Joined Aug 2008
195 Posts
Good job !

Hi all,

I'm glad and feel good reading your posts.

@canada_jim: Very good job ! Thanks.

@nadine: Thanks.

Finally, my work is useful. I feel wonderful.

Name: restringHKParaglider215m1.JPG
Views: 223
Size: 50.5 KB
Description:

Happy landings,

PopaD
popad is offline Find More Posts by popad
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_jim View Post
Okay, re-string is complete using Popado's diagram. I did not use knot's to landmark the measurements, instead I used a black felt to make marks. I also did not bind with zip-ties as he did, rather I went with thread tie's much like tieing a fishing fly, the when done I put shrink tube over it all to prevent fraying...........

See pics attached for clarity.......................................
Hei canada_jim,nice work!....what size of wire and from where did you buy it!?
Cheers
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply Nadine...........................I used fly fishing backer line for the re-stringing. It is very tangle resistant and strong for it's size. I have attached a picture below.

I also had good luck with the curved upolstery needles in the picture, they made the re-stringing much easier.

I am stepping away from the flight testing of this parawing, and will resume after obtaining a new radio set. Probaly about 5 weeks from now, others will have to jump on this one for a spring project also. I am standing by with assistance if needed.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:13 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
..Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Good news, bad news, good news..........

Alright, good news..............................I've recieved my new radio system, and this project was ready to go again today.

The 30km per hour winds did not deter me in the least and off to the field I went. I did fly the parafoil again, in spite of the crappy gusty wind, but the top spar of my gondola flexed and stopped the prop, and a crash resulted. Not before some serious piloting skill was displayed though...he....he.

The dammage is minor, and I will gusset the spar to handle the extra forces from the weight shift configuration.................and there is some good news...

THERE'S SOME VIDEO............................Enjoy.....

parafoilinwind.mp4 (1 min 43 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Alright! That was some pretty crappy air Jim . Good job!
Your going to have loads of fun in better air.
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:12 AM
RC Paramotor Pilot
Brasov, ROMANIA
Joined Aug 2008
195 Posts
Congratulation @canada_jim !

I don't fly if wind is over 20 Km/h.

Good job ! Now, wait some wind under 18-20 Km/h, and you will see the difference.

Try to learn launch from hand, will be very useful.

Happy landings !

PopaD
popad is offline Find More Posts by popad
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Canada Jim
In wind like that you were immediately going to have a problem! How you managed to stay in the air was really skilful. Here's to some calmer weather!
Ted (UK)
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Feb 2004
111 Posts
Inventing_Man, you bet, it's gonna be loads of fun and it's really a good flying parafoil now. You can see by the even inflation that it's a changed wing.

PopaD, you are wise, but as a seasoned heli-flyer I am alway interested in pushing the edge(safely, without endangering others).........keeps the blood flowing, you know? I am also left-handed, and this make hand launching feel dorky due to mode2 TX configuration. I am still going to attempt to add the "A" assist system to the model to allow launch from layflat.

tedrobphoto, ya your right, but it was invigorating to try. I see you limey's have been hit hard this winter..................cheers to better flying weather.

I have spent alot of time re-building my large gas helicopter, and the test flight is today. Thankfully the forcast is for calm/clear conditions, I'll let you know how it goes...............

I will also update this thread when the Parawing flies again. Probably on the weekend....................
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2005
38 Posts
I've been reading this thread with interest, as I recently purchased the belatrike and HK 2.15m foil. A couple days ago, I checked the line length on my canopy and discovered that it's utterly inconsistent, both with the line dimensions suggested on HK's website and even side to side. It's as if somebody just tied them randomly. Some distances are off by more than 10cm from the lengths they should be.

From reading this thread, I'm guessing that there's no point in even trying to fly this, that the only thing to do right now is start restringing the foil, right?
kubark42 is offline Find More Posts by kubark42