Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
You glass em; I'll bash em!
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jul 2010
160 Posts
Discussion
0.020 in. dia. steel wire

Greetings again! :-)

My rudder control wire broke at the servo and I need to run a new one through the teflon sleeve. It's 0.020 in. diameter (24 AWG?) and I'd like to know if it's a high carbon steel wire. I would think so, and would like to know where to buy some without having to fly to China..... :-o Is this stuff typical piano wire? Fishing leader? or what? I assume that it's not stainless steel as I used magnets to hold it to the inside of the pod while gluing during installation.

Thanks.
rifme is offline Find More Posts by rifme
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
FWIW, it might have been stainless.
There are two types: Martensitic and Austenitic. One is magnetic, the other not. No real indication of the quality, just different types.

http://www.micometals.co.nz/PDF/stai...&Corrosion.pdf

You can get all kinds of steel wire at mcmaster.com, but it might be easier to get guitar strings at a music store.
(Or from rcbuilder.com)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
Guitar strings are pretty tough. I recommend them. I've used them for prop shafts on indoor ff rubber powered models.

Another source for small steel wire of various kinds is Small Parts. (smallparts.com, I think)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:22 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jul 2010
160 Posts
Thanks Pat. I don't have time to wait for an order from Mcmaster's; and so if the music store isn't open tomorrow, guess I'll have to rob a string from my Alvarez! :-o

mike
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Jul 2010
160 Posts
And thanks to you Lincoln. Appreciate the input.
mike
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
Don't be too sure about McMaster. They have a distribution center in Atlanta.

I live about 5 hours drive from their New Jersey facility, and if I order by some reasonable time in the afternoon (4? 5? 6?) I get stuff the next day, even with regular UPS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
Another possibility?

http://www.basspro.com/Malin-HardWir...t/8581/-170586

Pat MacKenzie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Don't be too sure about McMaster. They have a distribution center in Atlanta.

I live about 5 hours drive from their New Jersey facility, and if I order by some reasonable time in the afternoon (4? 5? 6?) I get stuff the next day, even with regular UPS.
Same thing here in Canada. If it is in the Ohio warehouse I get it by noon the next day at work. And most stuff is in stock.
(However they seem to be reluctant to take on new Canadian customers, so I order through work)

Pat MacKenzie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:52 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
this is the way to go. get a spool of this and go to www.tailboom.com and get some properly sized teflon tubing and you can make pushrods all day long.

this is the method i use.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:49 PM
USA, FL, Panama City
Joined Dec 2009
49 Posts
Mike,
I use .018 stainless wire fishing leader (Malin #7 80 lb test hard-wire) on my planes. While it may not be as stiff as carbon steel wire, it has worked fine for me. It should do OK in your sleeve with little play. I'll get you a piece so you can be back flying soon.

Fred
fredinpc is offline Find More Posts by fredinpc
Old May 01, 2011, 12:13 AM
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
AAAARRGH! I should put it in my signature line. All steel has about the same elastic modulus, in other words, it's equally as stiff. Now, if you push it into the plastic range, i.e. where it doesn't spring back, now you see a difference. But that's not stiffness! When you're bending it with pliers, it may FEEL like stiffness, but it isn't. If you make two otherwise identical springs with piano wire and the cheapest steel wire of the same diameter that you can find, they will both have the same spring constant until they reach plastic deformation. Pull an ounce on one spring and it will stretch the same as the other one does with the same load.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 08:23 AM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
0.018" to 0.022" SS fishing leader works fine. I prefer the 0.022" because the larger diameter wire does not have a tendancy to slip thru the horns or arms at the ends, is easier to work with, and usually doesn't kink if you hit your rudder on something.

But the heavier wire may add to any tail heavy problems, just depends on your model design etc.

I think most would agree that you really don't need music wire here. Although I do insert music wire when glueing the teflon tubing to the fuselage, to keep things as straight as possible and to use magnets for some glueing.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH