HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
What is Carbon-Z technology? (12 min 46 sec)

this looks way better than your average foam plane to me, very cool

lets hope the wings arent on upside down ;-)
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
I think it would be super nice and would have made this plane lighter and stronger if they have used the same technique in the fuse and the stabs as they have used it in the wings. Just a thought......
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:35 AM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2006
1,262 Posts
I saw a few notes on people wishing for an ARF version of this plane. I suggest you wait for the spares to be posted and see if you can put together an ARF out of the spare parts list and save a $100. I saw a thread on the little Champ where a guy listed all the parts to make up a BNF version of the Champ. He saved about $25 dollars off the total price not needing the TX or charger, those ugly/terrible wing decals and so on. Some may say its not worth the hassle but other people like saving $25 bucks.

I have recently moved from EPP 3D planes to balsa and found the leap of faith to be more than I bargained for. Flying EPP is like working on the simulator. No worries about crashing = great close in flying. Flying balsa now has you up about 3 mistake high. My light weight balsa has me fearful of a minor bang putting me into a major rebuild.

I'm wondering if this plane is a 1/2 step from foam to balsa. The floaty easy to fly foam with the ability to take a small hit and ding rather than crack, over the precise balsa with its superior lighter weight/size but at the expense of fragility.

It certainly looks like the best foam 3D model I have ever seen. True Horizon solution. From the box to the field in record time while containing the best mass production components.

Project triangle in Horizon's view - Fast is from the box to the air and also from design to delivery of product.

FAST - GOOD - CHEAP = Pick two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_triangle
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
75 Posts
The strength of this plane is the ability to handle light to moderate crashes. Balsa planes are like eggshells and will "send you home". This plane will be a good alternative to intermediate flyers that are more prone to a light to moderate crash here and there. $299.00 for the PNP is spot-on for what you get. Good job E-flite.
Turbofans is offline Find More Posts by Turbofans
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:13 AM
Joined Nov 2009
75 Posts
I also have the Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP. The airplane+speed controller+motor+servos was $429.00, i.e. PNP. $129.00 more than the Carbon-Z. It will not perform as good as the Extreme Flight, and believe me, I love my Extreme Flight (thanks Chris). However, it is less expensive, more durable and less work to put together.
Turbofans is offline Find More Posts by Turbofans
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I'm wondering if this plane is a 1/2 step from foam to balsa. The floaty easy to fly foam with the ability to take a small hit and ding rather than crack, over the precise balsa with its superior lighter weight/size but at the expense of fragility.
This plane has a much higher wing loading than similar size balsa planes, so going by that it seems like it will be LESS floaty and easy to fly than say a 3DHS 47" SHP. This plane's ready-to-fly weight is 60 oz vs the SHP at around 40 oz, with similar wing area. It's certainly not going to fly anything like a flat foamie.

However the other advantages you stated -- durability and ease of repair -- probably do go to this plane.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:11 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I saw a few notes on people wishing for an ARF version of this plane. I suggest you wait for the spares to be posted and see if you can put together an ARF out of the spare parts list and save a $100.
"ARF" price... $180.27

Wing Panel, Right: Yak 54 C-Z 18.99
Wing Panel, Left: Yak 54 C-Z 18.99
Fuselage: Yak 54 C-Z 34.99
Stab, Right: Yak 54 C-Z 6.99
Stab, Left: Yak 54 C-Z 6.99
Rudder: Yak 54 C-Z 8.99
Battery Hatch: Yak 54 C-Z 6.99
Radio Hatch: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Canopy: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Wheel Pants: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Pushrods w/Clevis: Yak 54 C-Z 7.49
Wing Tube: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Stab Tube: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Pilot: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Landing Gear Plates: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Main Landing Gear Wire: Yak 54 C-Z 2.99
Landing Gear Fairing: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Main Wheels: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Tail Wheel Set: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Spinner: Yak 54 C-Z 5.99
Decal Sheet: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Motor Mount w/Screws: Yak 54 C-Z 3.99
Screw Set: Yak 54 C-Z 2.99
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:40 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
This plane has a much higher wing loading than similar size balsa planes, so going by that it seems like it will be LESS floaty and easy to fly than say a 3DHS 47" SHP. This plane's ready-to-fly weight is 60 oz vs the SHP at around 40 oz, with similar wing area. It's certainly not going to fly anything like a flat foamie.

However the other advantages you stated -- durability and ease of repair -- probably do go to this plane.
I agree. My Extreme flight 48" Yak is very floaty but would be much more involved to repair. Also, the Yak is now out of production so whole parts would be hard if not impossible to obtain while Parkzone/E-filite planes seem to have a longer lifespan making replacement parts more available for a longer time. This one is tempting but I'll still probably pass on it until I see someone selling it used locally for a good deal.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
The components and size look good for a RTF airplane. When I first read "patent pending Carbon-Z construction", I thought it was going to be something much cooler than a foam plane with a carbon rod in the wing though. Is that really a new technology? Good work by the marketing dept I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Hi, You are well understating the facts! It is much more than that....
There are carbon spar caps near the skin for the entire panel length.
There are plywood spars to help in bending and torsion.
There are carbon hinges for much freer, further ranging and solidd control.
This is offset by lightening via removal of foam where it has little benefit.
The result is a plane that is stiff and precise beyond any foam expectation at a great weight! (That is technical fact, not marketing).

Have Fun,
David
Excellent...good to hear!

I guess the marketing dept hasn't done a good enough job then!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Excellent...good to hear!

I guess the marketing dept hasn't done a good enough job then!
No worries....
You can get the story straight from the project lead.... as linked elswhere in this thread I believe.... The video has animations (from the marketing dept) that do a pretty good job of explaining the wing construction.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Airplanes/Carbon-Z/
Click on the various tabs here....

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFL10080
And here

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...CABRZ-WING.jpg
and here

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:38 AM
3D crazy
Australia, QLD, Warwick
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
David,

I downloaded the manual and see that the horizontal stabilizers also slide onto
stabilizer tubes which looks very strong. Is the tube made of carbon and do the stabilizers have any internal strengthening like the wings.

I have balsa and multiplex foam planes and love them both for their different qualities. I think this plane will be a grate addition to my hanger.
dukeofearl is offline Find More Posts by dukeofearl
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:58 PM
WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
got one ordered

backordered bnf at my local hobby shop.... i need one. thanks eflite for another winner. just release sooner than december lol
srowe is offline Find More Posts by srowe
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:46 PM
United States, VT, Berlin
Joined Jul 2009
69 Posts
I likes it.... the 60 amp esc's go for $90 bucks alone... the 25 size motor aint cheap either... I agree with some negatives here... I have quite a few 3d planes of this size including a PA extra 260.... the PA is an awesome plane... I have the recommended power setup (torque motor,etc.) it doesn't fly at speed like this plane...my PA probably flies a little truer.... but hey foam or not it looks like a hot setup....and looks very stable.. funny thing is I like a nice plane that has good 3d ability... but I also like a fast plane... this bugger looks like it may have both...... looks like its a great plane... and I'm sure alot of folks talking about price already have a dx6 or dx7 like I do sitting around and about 7 or so receivers as well... I got a ar6200 with this planes number written all over it.... now its all about waiting til december....
jmscard is offline Find More Posts by jmscard
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
830 Posts
I am glad to see this plane has some weight to it. The trend with balsa is lighter is better, with flight physics like a flat foamie. I have the popular planes in this size and are kites in 15 mph wind. You can see some of the mass effect in the video. And the wing is stalling at the root, instead of tip stalling first. I think that's what they are showing in the mini replay in the video.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Money and the RC hobby.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 07:12 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,474 Posts
This plane is going to ROCK.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1