SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:30 AM
Canton Township, Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
135 Posts
Build Log
Saito "Chiba Star"

Now that I have overcome the problems of warping wood, Japanese language plans and unusually low shaft position (detailed on previouis threads) I think it's time to start the build.
As mentioned before this kit originally came with a steam plant, (T-2GR engine and B2G boiler). I have no intentions of running this boat on steam, but I have recently acquired the this same steam plant on ebay. For a lark I placed the engine in the decked over hull. WOW. The fit was eye popping. Either the kit was made for this plant or vise-versa. There is no room to spare nor none wasted. I hope to educate mlyself to steam and maybe some day make the conversion . LOL
Right out of the box this kit looked to be a joy to build and it surely is. Aside from the fact that it is old and may have been through several owners, there were very few pieces missing: none critical and most replacable. The attention to detail is amazing. The machining and quality of the hardware is top notch.
The first problem was making the port holes. Aligning, center marking and making holes in gel coat is scary to me. Pretty hard to undo an error. But as I examined the exterior of the hull, cool, there very faint indentations of circles and center punches. I hand drillied small center holes and hand reamed them to size. I did not use power because this old gel coat chips easily. All went well though I have 4 more to go. And they aren't marked.
While waiting for the motor from Don atLoyalhanna I decided to go ahead with the deck supports and install the deck. Because of the steam config there are large deck openings and lots of room to install things below decks.
MOTOR
I had taken the gamble when ordering this motor from Don that it would fit IF I mounted it directly to the keel. You can't see in the pic, but it DOES work within 1/16 of an inch. This morning I took wires to motor and battery and WHEW.
I am waiting for a bow-thruster but there will be mucho room to work even with the deck finished.
ajferkovich is offline Find More Posts by ajferkovich
Last edited by ajferkovich; Mar 29, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts