HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:27 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Video
Horten XII video

I cut this one out a while back. It looks like he did a good job with it.

Horten style flying wing with rudders or airbreak (5 min 27 sec)
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:19 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
Nice Model!
Bit of interesting Luft Art 'Decoration' on that I've considered it too
Although in fairness. All that I could see.. was a good launch... lots of frilly clouds... and a landing.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:45 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
732 Posts
Never use swasticas
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: design phase
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined May 2013
198 Posts
Cool video Brian. Thanks for posting. I fear the landing! They all look fast and sloppy. No offense to the pilot.
Cable is offline Find More Posts by Cable
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:42 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Nice clouds, but I thought this was an RC plane forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
Never use swasticas
Not that I'm in any way approving fascism, but what would you put on a scale Nazi plane, the USAF star and stripes, perhaps?

And BTW the correct spelling (at least in English) is 'swastika'.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:36 AM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
732 Posts
You can use the luftwaffe symbol:
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: design phase
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:56 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
nothing...?

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/7c591a05...7d/Horten-HXII
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:53 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable View Post
I fear the landing! They all look fast and sloppy.
All of them Cable ?
This landing didn't even touch the ground !
Of course it took my 3 months to do it.

Kent

Horti catch (0 min 51 sec)
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:05 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
Holy Moly! We're not giving this builder enough credit. He's built split rudders on this ship.

Kent

Horten style flying wing with ruddle mixing with elevon (1 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:12 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Holy Moly! We're not giving this builder enough credit. He's built split rudders on this ship.

Kent

http://youtu.be/hStZ3PWnPW0
Darn good catch Kent! I didn't notice that. I'm going to shoot him an email to see if I can get some details.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:39 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined May 2013
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
All of them Cable ?
This landing didn't even touch the ground !
Of course it took my 3 months to do it.

Kent
Nice Kent! That's the lightest Horten though. Not fair.
Cable is offline Find More Posts by Cable
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:39 AM
DownUnder SYD
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
My Horten Fleet

Hi, Thanks to Brian bring me to this forum. I have been thinking of sharing my Horten flying wings with you guys long time ago but not having enough results to share. Now since Brian bring me to here I think perhaps it is the right time to share. I am from Taiwan and now is living in Sydney, Australia.

The video Horten XII was originally from Knoll 53 "The Manatee". I have scale done this one into 2 meter size as I think this size is the best size to make and transport. In order to make Horten wings, I learn 2D Autocad by myself from seeing youtube. Knoll's basic drawing give me a good start to develop Ho-XII. I have two Ho-XII at the moment. One is for FPV with landing gears (maiden flight)
Horten style flying wing maiden in 3rd person view (1) (6 min 29 sec)

and another one is on report 1(maiden flight). My current project is doing a 90mm ducted fans. I will post the picture later. I also have a finished Horten IX V3 but have not flown it yet. It also has air-break on both ends of the wings. Another Horten IX V3 project is half done. This one I have installed a spoiler on its body and also have air break on each wing. The flaps on each wings will have 2 functions. One is like the normal flaps and the other one will be slipped air-breaks.

Thanks Knoll, Lothar, Andress , Brian and all others dedicated in this forum. Your guys are really experts.

Augusto Chang
Gus5610 is offline Find More Posts by Gus5610
Last edited by Gus5610; Mar 26, 2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:34 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus5610 View Post
I also have a finished Horten IX V3 but have not flown it yet. It also has air-break on both ends of the wings. Another Horten IX V3 project is half done. This one I have installed a spoiler on its body and also have air break on each wing. The flaps on each wings will have 2 functions. One is like the normal flaps and the other one will be slipped air-breaks.
Augusto Chang
Wow ! Nice work Augusto. These are great projects. You are welcomed to press the "New Thread" button any time you like here on the Nurflügel forum. You may have noticed that I treat this forum like my personal blog and will open a new thread for any idea that may cross my mind. The more the merrier I say. I would like to learn more about your use of spoilers and air breaks.

thanks for posting,
Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:53 AM
DownUnder SYD
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Ok, I will not disappoint you. I attached photos which are the method of using the air break. You can see it is using cable with pull-push method and with 2 small springs.

Theory:
When the servo pull, the air-break opens. When the servo push, the air-break acts nothing as the cables on the servo end are still loose. At the meantime, 2 tiny springs are pulling the air-break back to its natural position.
Aileron Aux with air-break: see attached photo. When Aileron move up, one of the air-break move up and v.v.

Methods:
Linkage stopper D1.8mm
On the server end, I use two piece of linkage stopper D1,8mm as when I put it into servo arm, on the back of servo arm I found I do not need a nut to fasten it. I can use another linkage stopper to connect the other linkage stopper.
Cabel stopper:
Put cables through each linkage stopper and try to make the cable ends can be pull the cables. You can use a tiny metal tube as a stopper by using plier.

Guiding tubes:
Use the plastic tubes to guide the cables and make sure it is free and smooth movement. I use hot glue to position the turning point and make sure it is stiff enough so will not to compromise the pulling strength and effect the air-break opening angles.

Springs:
I hook one end of spring inside the wing and the other end with fine fishing steel cable extend to the very end of the air-break. By using instant glue and shorten the cable to adjust the strength of the springs.

Aileron Aux with air-break:
Put a metal pin on the Aileron end so the air-break can aux with Aileron movement.

Transmitter programming:
Left air-break and right air-break occupy one channel each. Both of them Aux to Rudder. When turn to left rudder, the left air-break opens. When turn to right rudder, the right air-break opens.
I also use Landing switch to open both left & right air-break.

I think that's all my methods.
If you have any further question regarding this method, welcome to ask me.
Gus5610 is offline Find More Posts by Gus5610
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:20 AM
wood basher
nailsea, N.somerset
Joined Feb 2001
243 Posts
Having studied your design for abit, that is a very clever piece of design
i like how the cable is free to move in the stopper when the aileron pushes on it but also the rudder servo can still pull on it to open both sides
nhoj62 is offline Find More Posts by nhoj62