HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,413 Posts
Well.... a simple all sheet wing that is this thin on a model of this size is always going to be subject to damage in any sort of crash that might cause it to twist. Likely you didn't examine it closely enough to find the crack which formed from the previous mishap.

We all will see our reflexes and skills degrade from old age or some form of medical issues. If you're in that boat I'd suggest you strongly consider a nice standard planform with a low wing loading and good power to weight ratio that will fly itself when needed. Namely an old timer cabin style design that has smallish control surfaces so the radio "interference" to the model's self flying ability becomes less of a risk.

Such a model won't need any sort of autopilot either. It comes with built in stability courtesy of the original design's free flight roots.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
It's not a hotliner, promise. With my confidence so low, I thought the autopilot might help and it did on the first true flight. I'm gonna try to pull myself out of this ditch.

Right now I'm eyeing the scrap balsa from the first attempt and I have enough to graft a new section. I just cleaned up the last of the balsa dust too.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
I fixed the original Aerobird wing with a piece of carbon cloth and some 30 minute epoxy. This gave me a chance to note any difference in flight qualities. The Aerobird wing is amazing, really is. I might just make a mold of it, before I completely smash it up. It's got a lot of camber, recovers from stall quickly, and glides great.

Anyway, I used the same motor mount and the thrust angle looks like it is maybe a hair more downward(toward front) than with my balsa wing. This is due to the shape of the top of the wing being different, just sits different. When I added power, it climbed but it wasnt excessive.

I can still fly and autopilot behaved itself when I used it.

As for an old timer style free flight wing, I have some plans for one that uses an E387 foil. It would need to be slightly enlarged, but I built that one as a kid and it was simple and flew great. It would match the looks of my tail design better too.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Here's a shot of the original plans with the FF wing I need to adapt. You can see the tip is rounder and the tail is also round. When I started playing with this design years ago, I used the original FF wing until I smashed it up and put the aerobird wing on, so I guess maybe my design has finally come full circle.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
I managed 3 good flights in a row, and confidence improved. Got rid of that monkey for now.

The high camber of the aerobird wing shows up as slightly slower flight than the sand it round solid balsa wing. They both flew nice, but the aerobird wing is good enough to deserve a mold.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
The crash monkey is back. I folded the aerobird wing again. My fix didnt go far enough and I was flying in wind. The ESC servo connector was loose(found out too late) and the connection would go in and out. I knew something was wrong as I could hear the motor pulsing and hesitating and tried to bring it in for landing, the connection went out and it went into a dive. That folded the wing and as it was fluttering down, I could hear the ESC beeping....beep...........beep.........beep.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
I fixed it, found where the crash monkey was hiding. The servo wire from the ESC wasnt making good contact on the input side of the autopilot/stabilizer board and was cutting in and out.

I took it out yesterday and it flew fine. Now, I can get back to refining this design.

Sorry for the lack of science.