SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2010
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
I know the new US market R5 will do PPM out, will the R6 do PPM out as well? Better still, to provide enough info for all of us heli flyers that use FBL controllers, which of the US market Jeti receivers are capable of single line PPM out to feed an FBL controller?

Also, does the US market R5 have 5 servo ports and a separate telemetry port? On my 3D foamie I need ports for 5 channels (throttle, L aileron, R aileron, elevator, and rudder) plus one port for telemetry (MUI 30A voltage & current.) If one of the servo ports on the R5 is shared with the telemetry port I suppose I'll need to change that receiver from an R5 to an R6.
Actually we have very elegant solution. Our Duplex R11-R9-R7-R6-R5 receivers can switch to standard channel servo output mode or to PPM and Telemetry out using JetiBox Programmer.

R5 has 6x connectors out, 5x Channels + 1x Telemetry

Zb/Esprit Model

Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,075 Posts
Can someone explain the difference between standard output mode and PPM. I'm confused!

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Actually we have very elegant solution. Our Duplex R11-R9-R7-R6-R5 receivers can switch to standard channel servo output mode or to PPM and Telemetry out using JetiBox Programmer.

R5 has 6x connectors out, 5x Channels + 1x Telemetry

Zb/Esprit Model
Thanks Zb, that's perfect! Looks like I'll stick to the plan of using the 2x R9 in PPM out mode for my helis and the R5 on my Foamie. That means my order will work as-is and I don't have to call and bother you anymore.

The reason I was concerned that the R9's wouldn't work is that the users manual for the international market R9 lists that it has 1 PPM in port (for an RSAT connection) and no PPM out capability; according to the international users manual the only international receivers that offer PPM out are the RSAT2, R10, R14, or R18.

A good deal of my confusion is caused by a lack of published detailed information and specs on the US market receivers. Right now I'm reading the users manuals for the international receivers to get detailed information and it's very apparent there are several differences between the US/Canadian market receivers and the International market receivers. I'm sure this will be cleared up as Jeti USA releases more information on the US-market receivers.

Again, thanks for the additional info! Now I can sit back and wait without worry until my TX arrives next Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Can someone explain the difference between standard output mode and PPM. I'm confused!

Steve
Steve,

standard output is for directly connecting servos to the receiver; each connector is a discrete output for a single channel.

PPM output is a single cable "summed" output that combines and forwards the data from all RX channels to a single cable for output; this is used for feeding all the RX data to another unit such as a flybarless controller for helis using only a single cable. The FBL controller needs to know the positions of all channels; while this can be accomplished via individual patch cables for each channel from the receiver to the FBL controller if you use PPM mode the RX can send the FBL controller the information for all channels using only a single cable.

This cleans up the wiring substantially and also eliminates failure points; with individual patch cables you have say 5 cables each with 3 conductors and a total of 30 connectors between the RX and the FBL controller, any of which if they fail could down the heli. With PPM you only need 1 cable with 3 conductors and 6 connectors linking the RX and FBL controller; that's far less wire and connector crimps that could fail.

Jeti also uses PPM for a single cable link between receivers in a multi-receiver installation. This way two receivers can split the servo loads and also provide signal redundancy from the TX. You could say have one receiver up front in a large plane for the throttle and aileron servos linked via a single PPM cable to a second receiver in back that not only acts like a satellite receiver (for signal redundancy) but then you could plug all the elevator & rudder servos into that second receiver in the rear of the plane and avoid having to run long servo extension leads from the elevator & rudder servos up to the front receiver.
Kiba is offline Find More Posts by Kiba
Last edited by Kiba; Dec 05, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,075 Posts
Thanks Kiba, I think I sorta get it...but the big take-away for me is to stick with sail and power planes and don't mess with them whirlly things! But seriously, in the large airplane example you mentioned, if the front RX failed, would the rear RX then drive the servos connected to the front RX?

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Last edited by SteveR; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2008
204 Posts
Based on the manuals, if only the RF portion of the front receiver failed, yes; the PPM link would keep providing signal from the rear receiver to the front receiver to drive the servos connected to the front receiver. If the entire front receiver failed (RF section and output section) then you would lose control of all the servos connected to the now-dead receiver.

You don't have to wire it this way... you can still connect all servos to a single receiver and connect a second receiver in another location in the fuselage via PPM link to the first receiver for signal redundancy in case of obstruction/signal fades/etc. In that case if the signal quality going to the front receiver is somehow degraded the second receiver can still provide control.

From the manuals it looks like you can also "clone" receivers and run two or more separate receivers simultaneously to control one model without any connection between the receivers.
Last edited by Kiba; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
548 Posts
What will happen to people who ordered the Jeti Profibox with Rsat2?

Regards,

PAT
PAT-T is online now Find More Posts by PAT-T
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT-T View Post

Regards,

PAT
Pat, after speaking with Esprit it's my understanding that the R5 is going to be shipped as an RSAT2 replacement for all US & Canadian customers as it's the smallest/lightest receiver that will do the job of the RSAT2. Hopefully Esprit will confirm shortly.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:33 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Pat, after speaking with Esprit it's my understanding that the R5 is going to be shipped as an RSAT2 replacement for all US & Canadian customers as it's the smallest/lightest receiver that will do the job of the RSAT2. Hopefully Esprit will confirm shortly.
Thanks for that info. I was hoping for something like that, sounds perfect to me.

Regards,

PAT
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:40 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,072 Posts
So are these receivers with PPM Out functionality a special firmware version for North America only, or is it an upgrade in functionality that all new receivers worldwide will include ? If the latter, are current receivers upgradeable via a firmware update ???
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:56 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
731 Posts
Any pics of the new/revised DS 16 since antenna-gate?
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2010
1,667 Posts
Quote:

Regards,

PAT
We sell our ProfiBox without the receiver. No need to spend more money.

The US version of the profibox is also FCC certified. We disabled the RF module, no need to act as RF module for the radio, this configuration is obsolete.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined May 2010
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
So are these receivers with PPM Out functionality a special firmware version for North America only, or is it an upgrade in functionality that all new receivers worldwide will include ? If the latter, are current receivers upgradeable via a firmware update ???
My guess is that this will be standard feature, but I am not sure if the older Jeti Duplex receivers are hardware capable. All ours will be leaving already with new software. We will do “In House” software upgrade for PPM out.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2010
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
Any pics of the new/revised DS 16 since antenna-gate?
UPS will deliver one Monday. Pictures and video will follow right away.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
We sell our ProfiBox without the receiver. No need to spend more money.

The US version of the profibox is also FCC certified. We disabled the RF module, no need to act as RF module for the radio, this configuration is obsolete.

Zb/Esprit Model
Okay, but I actually ordered the Profibox with the Rsat2, and paid for it. See my order 94891. So, what will happen now, do I cancel that item or do you send me a replacement for the Rsat2 with the Profibox?

Regards,

PAT.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:35 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Okay, but I actually ordered the Profibox with the Rsat2, and paid for it. See my order 94891. So, what will happen now, do I cancel that item or do you send me a replacement for the Rsat2 with the Profibox?

Regards,

PAT.
Main reason I ordered the Profibox + Rsat2, was to program the sensors, AND have the ability to use the telemetry with other radio equipment also.
Any suggestions for another solution?

Regards,

PAT