SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2010, 11:40 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Dec 2006
31 Posts
Question
Next Parkflyer Sport plane?

I am about to buy my next plane! I am looking for a small (<40in) plane that is sport and is quick and can do some good aerobatics. Rudder is not totally necessary (like a lot of smaller warbirds). I am looking for something that can be hand launched easily. I have had experience with a small cub, a Nexstar mini, a small corsair, the PZ T-28 and a couple of assorted gliders. I am wondering if moving to maybe a jet would be good but I am looking for a solid and fast sport model. Unfortunately, I don't have time to build a kit for this one otherwise I would look at a switchback (it seems like I could toss it if I had to). Any input would be awesome!
mdickey is offline Find More Posts by mdickey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:08 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Parkzone P-51 BL. It'll do around 80mph max downwind
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:22 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Small is not 40", that's more medium. What size area will it fly in?? The faster it is, the slower it won't go. A Stryker is a fun RTF!
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Or a habu wich is easily handlaunched and does 85 mph made by parkezone
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
GWS Formosa. It never ceases to please.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:53 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Dec 2006
31 Posts
The size is because I have to be able to store it in a fairly small area. I don't have any room restrictions on where I am flying. I am working at a summer camp this year and I was looking for something small, fast and portable to take with me.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
358 Posts
Check out the parkzone Extra 300.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...180#quickSpecs

Lance
LanceMc is offline Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:55 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Dec 2006
31 Posts
Could I throw the Extra if I had to? It's a bit bigger than I want but is there a good smaller sized one?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:34 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
You could always get a mid size EPP 3D plane, like Hacker or MSComposit and set it up for pattern flying. There simple to assemble and come in 20-60"s. Plus they hand launch easily and take a beating.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
You might try a Mountain Models EZ-Sport. They build really fast, are small, and can really zip around. They have a foam wing and simple balsa fuse. They build about as fast as an ARF.
www.mountainmodels.com
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
GWS Formosa. It never ceases to please.
Agreed. If you power it properly, it will take off from your hand without any motion at all on your part. You can just point it toward the sky and let it go. I have the Formosa II which is larger but either one will amaze you with its performance at an incredibly low price. The Formosa is $42 and the II is $65.

fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
The faster it is, the slower it won't go.
Not necessarily. One of my fastest planes (110mph+ flat foamie jet) weighed 17oz and had around 245 square inches of wing area. It would slow to a durn putter if I told it to and just float around the field. It would fly like a trainer, then jump up and rip. Much fun.

The OP seems to want something like a Formosa, as has already been mentioned. Of course, if delta wings aren't out of the question... They fly just as well as, or better than, conventional-style planes and I've always thought they feel more locked-in while flying. Just my opinion, though. They can also look pretty darn awesome
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:02 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,117 Posts
I recommend taking a look at the warbirds at: http://www.hacker-model.com/uk/index.html A couple of my kids have them, and they fly them like they are indestructable.... and they just about are. They are very good flyers, and can tolerate being tossed around.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Dec 2006
31 Posts
Would an Alfa be too fragile for what I'm looking for? I like the idea of like a P-51 but the size that Alfa models are is what I'm looking for.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP15 View Post
Not necessarily. One of my fastest planes (110mph+ flat foamie jet) weighed 17oz and had around 245 square inches of wing area. It would slow to a durn putter if I told it to and just float around the field. It would fly like a trainer, then jump up and rip. Much fun.

The OP seems to want something like a Formosa, as has already been mentioned. Of course, if delta wings aren't out of the question... They fly just as well as, or better than, conventional-style planes and I've always thought they feel more locked-in while flying. Just my opinion, though. They can also look pretty darn awesome

Any plane you make go faster means more power, more esc and batts, so more weight, which increases the wing loading/stall speed.
Like wise, if you lighten the plane, it will fly slower.
I had a real aerobatic plane and could tell the difference in slow flight without a passenger!