HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2015, 11:18 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,784 Posts
Still puttering. All the primary flight controls are in and working. RDF gear and Swastika sorted. Spent some time puttering with the bomb drop. I think I have a working plan. Cut some parts last night, letting it gel to make sure I haven't overlooked something simple.

It'll be ready, C

regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2015, 01:03 PM
The Balsa Farmer
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Jul 2005
639 Posts
JH what are you using for your clear coat over your Behr paint? I went to ACE hardware yesterday and got a couple .99 cent pints of Valspar - cant go wrong with a pint of paint for a buck
bassfisher is offline Find More Posts by bassfisher
Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:23 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
JH what are you using for your clear coat over your Behr paint? I went to ACE hardware yesterday and got a couple .99 cent pints of Valspar - cant go wrong with a pint of paint for a buck
No clearcoat. The plane won't last long enough for it to matter once my brother gets his mitts on it.

I put a clear cover over the RDF apparatus on the aft deck. Cut a circular piece of plastic from some saved epoxy packaging, glued it in place with canopy glue. Ironically, you can barely see it, I think I am the only one who knows that it is there.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:07 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,784 Posts
Ready for maiden

Okay with my brother coming in Friday and me out of town most of this week, I had to cut a few corners. Bomb drop is on hold. Cannons are still in the bag, as are many of the detail pieces. Too easy to wipe out in the first mishap. Got the exhausts painted, but not the canopy and haven't done the rest of the panel lines.

I had an issue with my wheels. As installed there is a larger spacer on one side than the other and they were binding on the narrow side. Took them apart, put a thin nylon washer on the narrow side and they are fine now.

Everything is assembled, all the control systems work as advertised. Need to do a final W&B, then waiting on my brother and some decent weather.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Mar 08, 2015, 01:43 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,137 Posts
I noticed the wheel spacing on mine too. I just left it, since it works fine and no one will notice it unless they're looking for it.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
Old Mar 22, 2015, 01:53 PM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
422 Posts
Jeff and I managed to get a few flights in on the Stuka over the past few days. The maiden was interesting to say the least and nearly ended in disaster due to aileron/flap rigging.

Jeff has done a great job of assembling the aeroplane. When I looked it over I paid particular attention to aileron rigging and made a couple of minor adjustments. Where I made my mistake was by trying to eyeball where the should be when aligning them with the underside of the wing. The result was that I got to wrong. Not only did I get the aileron rigging wrong, I set up the flaps to match the ailerons. The result was evident as soon as I went airborne as the aeroplane started to roll left. It took everything it had to overpower the left roll tendancy since even with opposite aileron control input, the flap, which of course is much larger continued to try to roll the aeroplane left. Add to that I had the elevator set up just a bit nose down, and what followed was abit of a rodeo to say the least.

So the message is, for anyone about to maiden a JU87, it is worth the time to double check aileron rigging. To do so, put a straight edge on the underside of the aileron. Make sure the straight edge is parallel to the underside of the wing. Ditto the flaps.

That said, as others have reported, the model flies very well. Lots of power. Good low speed performance. It pretty much does it all.

For several reasons I ended up pounding the heck out of it on landing. It seems to stand up well to that kind of treatment, although it did cost me a couple of props.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:16 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,784 Posts
Hmmm, noticed you didn't mention going all Kamikaze on my poor Henschel, although the damage was quite minor compared to my attempts at landing it.

Glad you enjoyed flying it. I'll get some more props and maybe sort out the bomb drop since it look like you can keep it in the air for a respectable amount of time.

Great visit, J
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:46 AM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
422 Posts
As Jeff refers, one of my minor mishaps was when on landing I collided with his Henschel. The Henschel was just sitting there minding its own business, looking pretty, when I took it out with the Stuka right on touchdown. Ouch! No Henschel flying that day.
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring