HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2015, 03:18 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
919 Posts
Got my box in today.

Ordered the TH digital servos last night.

Yipee!
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:19 PM
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
I've wanted a CP since I started flying TH planes and now have one on the way from ICARE. They did not have much in the way of servo selection and I have decided to go with something slightly better than the HXT's etc. that I have in my parts supply, and am looking for advice. I have had good luck with the TH digitals but am looking at $35 US shipping plus longer wait if I order from TH.

Anybody have a recommendation for a Futaba and/or Hitec combo that I can pick up at my LHS or order from one of the Canadian retailers?
Guil is offline Find More Posts by Guil
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:36 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guil View Post
I've wanted a CP since I started flying TH planes and now have one on the way from ICARE. They did not have much in the way of servo selection and I have decided to go with something slightly better than the HXT's etc. that I have in my parts supply, and am looking for advice. I have had good luck with the TH digitals but am looking at $35 US shipping plus longer wait if I order from TH.

Anybody have a recommendation for a Futaba and/or Hitec combo that I can pick up at my LHS or order from one of the Canadian retailers?
I use futaba S3114s. Never a lick of trouble.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:47 AM
foamies to the end...!
United Kingdom, England, East Susx
Joined May 2004
185 Posts
hi all... i have too many planes.... what.. can you have too many.
i've just put the pitts together, using the T-Motor AT2206 1500kv which seems to have plenty of power, i have the slick and a couple of sw models with value A1504 2900KV motors in them.
I also have the big crack yak.
cant wait to try the pitts, the slick flies very well, makes you confident.

as soon as i can get it in the air, ill post the maiden video... always a giggle, the first flight.
heres 8 of the current 14 strong fleet.

Craig
ukdalai is offline Find More Posts by ukdalai
Last edited by ukdalai; Mar 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:22 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,550 Posts
What landing gear are you using on the Pitts?
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:33 PM
foamies to the end...!
United Kingdom, England, East Susx
Joined May 2004
185 Posts
i had a set from the SW slick, which im going to build without u/c, seems strong enough and light too
ukdalai is offline Find More Posts by ukdalai
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:30 PM
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I use futaba S3114s. Never a lick of trouble.
For all three? I assumed they might be slightly overkill for the tail and perhaps underspec for four big ailerons, at least compared to typical 5g and 9g combos.
Guil is offline Find More Posts by Guil
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:52 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,550 Posts
Mine are overkill. I use one S3156 and two S3157, but I like them.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Mar 13, 2015, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
919 Posts
I have everything to begin building.

One more question I think....

well two

- What glue works well? Any other besides what they recommend? (It like to leave a little bit of a mess behind)
- I notice they've chosen wooden sticks for support, anything you recommend to be upgraded? Watching the build video seems to leave a lot that could be stiffened to remove slop.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Mar 13, 2015, 07:43 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guil View Post
For all three? I assumed they might be slightly overkill for the tail and perhaps underspec for four big ailerons, at least compared to typical 5g and 9g combos.
Yep. All three on CP, CY, and MXS. I've never stripped one and I use full throws. Sometimes I fly violently, too.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:26 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
I have everything to begin building.

One more question I think....

well two

- What glue works well? Any other besides what they recommend? (It like to leave a little bit of a mess behind)
- I notice they've chosen wooden sticks for support, anything you recommend to be upgraded? Watching the build video seems to leave a lot that could be stiffened to remove slop.
I've used Welders, Uhu Por and Foam Tac, and think all of them would work well.

Test first, of course.

That said, these days I am using Shoe Goo for more and more RC applications, although I have not yet used it on a flat foamie.

It seems to be less volitile than some of the other 'rubber cement' types listed above, yet it adheres amazingly well, sets up super fast (comparatively), dries clear, and is VERY tough yet resilient.

It only has one downside that I can tell, and that is that it's pretty thick and heavy -- about like hot glue. So you need to use it sparingly.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 14, 2015, 06:22 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Like track I've used them all too. Lately though I've stuck with either foam tac or quick grip. The yellowing from welder is annoying now that my planes are surviving my abuse more.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:17 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
The yellowing from welder is annoying now that my planes are surviving my abuse more.
It is VERY nasty after a while, isn't it? I noticed that some epoxy formulations have adapted their make-up to counter yellowing from extended exposure to UV, not sure if Welders has ever considered same.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob