Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by ruff1
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,104 Posts
Discussion
Wing Area + All Up Weight on Completed Models?

Hey,

I'm studying some of the formulas used (wing area, 3D wing area, wing cubic loading), and I'm very interested in the wing area and AUW of some of the models built here (primarily scratchbuilt but the kits would be fine here).

I'm not really interested in a thread to discuss the pros and cons of the methods (there are lots of them out there already, ad nauseum) - I just want to plug in some numbers and see how they compare to what I'm estimating on the Martin 4-0-4. I'm late to the show on this, but still have options for making adjustments.

Not really looking for opinions, thanks! Let's just keep it to specs...

Kevin
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
18,249 Posts
Very cool idea Kev, are you looking for new calculation method for AUW & wing area formulas?
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by demondriver; Jul 16, 2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,104 Posts
Not really. I'm just doing some calculations on the 4-0-4 to see where she fits in compared to other scratch builds. I'm looking at wing area, wing cubic loading, and 3D loading as they are defined; plenty of web sites where you can enter the numbers and get a result and compare with a table.
Do you have any scratch-built models weighing in around 4.5 to 5 pounds? I'm curious to see what your wing area is on these.
I'm a bit late to the party doing this, but hey, you learn by doing! The 4-0-4 has been an exercise in using brain power, trying to figure out how to make stuff work.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old Jul 16, 2016, 09:28 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
18,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Not really. I'm just doing some calculations on the 4-0-4 to see where she fits in compared to other scratch builds. I'm looking at wing area, wing cubic loading, and 3D loading as they are defined; plenty of web sites where you can enter the numbers and get a result and compare with a table.
Do you have any scratch-built models weighing in around 4.5 to 5 pounds? I'm curious to see what your wing area is on these.
I'm a bit late to the party doing this, but hey, you learn by doing! The 4-0-4 has been an exercise in using brain power, trying to figure out how to make stuff work.
Thanks,
Kevin
My new AN-2 is around the 5lb mark, it's a Bi-plane though.. . . . I'll get the figures on the wing area and wing loading data.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foam Safe Spray paint!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,104 Posts
Thanks, that one rings a bell. Being a biplane changes things, looking for more conventional aircraft. Your Mohawk BAC 111 would be ideal. Remember, just auw and wing area. Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 09:50 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
18,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Thanks, that one rings a bell. Being a biplane changes things, looking for more conventional aircraft. Your Mohawk BAC 111 would be ideal. Remember, just auw and wing area. Thanks!
My BAC-111 is a bit more like 7 lbs Sir.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foam Safe Spray paint!