Old Jun 18, 2016, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Great Crouton
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
157 Posts
Discussion
Need some advice for powering FPV

Lo all!

Recently finished up a build on a 250 quad. Pretty happy with it so far, only issue I'm having is with the FPV equipment.

Didn't want to spend too much $ going in the first time so I bought this bundle:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Antennas.html

The frame I bought is on of HK's "Hello Color" frames. Only $8 and included a PDB. The PDB also included a 5v pad for powering FPV equipment.

So put it all together, problem is I'm losing signal really fast, like only about 200m. Took a look at the specs of the tx (really should have done this first) and found that the vtx needs at least 7v so I'm under powering it and likely why I'm losing the signal so quickly.

What other methods can I use to power the FPV equipment? I'd like to avoid using another battery if possible.
Great Crouton is online now Find More Posts by Great Crouton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2016, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Skidman
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jan 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Crouton View Post
Only $8 and included a PDB. The PDB also included a 5v pad for powering FPV equipment.

found that the vtx needs at least 7v so I'm under powering it and likely why I'm losing the signal so quickly.
Pull the transmitter power off the the battery balance leads. You can try the pads that go to the ESC's and hope you don't get any extra noise.
Skidman is online now Find More Posts by Skidman
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:15 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
157 Posts
Interesting, didn't know you could do that.

Could I not also use the main batter leads on the PDB?

If I were to use the pads for the ESC's, I have to use that ring, no? Ferrite I think it is? To help with the noise?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:25 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jan 2010
97 Posts
The ferrite toroid choke (fancy name for that ring) is useful for cutting down the noise on the transmitter power leads.

Yes. You certainly can pull the transmitter power off off the main battery leads on the PDB. That's probably the best idea.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:42 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
157 Posts
Outstanding, thanks again Skidman
Old Jun 20, 2016, 05:44 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
157 Posts
Much rejoicing. After soldering the leads for the FPV system on to the main battery leads tab, my range and clarity have improved. How much, exactly, I'm not sure as I don't want to push my luck just yet but I was able to fly over a "line in the sand" that had previously resulted in me losing the signal entirely.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 08:23 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jan 2010
97 Posts
Great to hear the good news.

I think it is pretty amazing the transmitter did as well as it did with the low voltage.

Paul