Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by Joexer
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2014
336 Posts
Question
Can I make a VTOL out of Chuck Glider and V262?

Its not very elegant but I've been thinking about integrating my "naked"WLTOYs V262 (large brushed quadcopter) into a chuck glider i got with a 500mm wingspan. I know it will have trouble with speedy forward flight but I'm thinking once it catches a little speed, it should glide. Am I wrong? Rudder and banked turns should work well for control. I am not looking for speed, or maneuverability. I just want a quad that looks good and can hover or glide. Or will it not glide at all at ~300g with that wingspan?
Joexer is online now Find More Posts by Joexer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2016, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2014
336 Posts
oops I meant Q202
wrong model

it has the tilting rear rotors? is that viable?
Old Mar 01, 2016, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,853 Posts
I think only a separate lift and thrust design is viable with an off the shelf quad. Use the quad for lift and then shut if off and power up a different motor for forward flight. A quad for a separate lift and thrust design is also bad in my opinion but possible.

You can get more complicated with and off the shelf quad but there are easier solution available.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
Old Mar 01, 2016, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
I think only a separate lift and thrust design is viable with an off the shelf quad. Use the quad for lift and then shut if off and power up a different motor for forward flight. A quad for a separate lift and thrust design is also bad in my opinion but possible.

You can get more complicated with and off the shelf quad but there are easier solution available.
I am not sure what is bad about a quad based SLT (Separate Lift Thrust) design. It's one of the easiest and most likely successful designs.

Perhaps you meant that literally just gluing a quad on top of an airplane is bad because it's rather draggy and some might say visually ugly. Splitting the quad into two booms, one on each side of the wing is cleaner and still quite easy. Some wings are rather flexible in torsion and might need reinforcement of some sort, but it is still one of the easiest and best solutions for a first time VTOL. I could even make a strong argument that it is one of the best solutions for performance.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Mar 01, 2016, 10:20 PM
Joined Jan 2014
336 Posts
No no no. This quad has a transition mode meant for use as a boat but can provide forward flight. The rear rotors literally tilts forward and uses differential thrust for turning.
Last edited by Joexer; Mar 02, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 12:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,853 Posts
Build a simple plane with wheels and see if your power plant can get it into forward flight. Find a long runway so you can test short and straight jumps off the ground. That'll answer 90 percent of your questions easily enough.

Expect your flight time to be significantly shorter than what the quad can do without wings. Your props may not have the speed to get it off the ground also but we'll see.
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 02, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by v22chap
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,379 Posts
Quote:
This quad has a transition mode meant for use as a boat but can provide foreward flight
If the quad is made for under water ... then the answer is probably no ... there will be to much weight wasted in water proofing the electrics ... and as a VTOL it will not be light enough to hover .

If you want to stay with off the shelf stuff ,, I would go with a quad made for racing as it will be lighter . I have seen some with tilt designed in to their systems and it would not be that hard to do it your self .

Doing it yourself .. you can design it to be lighter than the racing ones and make it to adapt to what you need to put it on to the airplane .
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Mar 02, 2016, 11:25 AM
Joined Jan 2014
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
If the quad is made for under water ... then the answer is probably no ... there will be to much weight wasted in water proofing the electrics ... and as a VTOL it will not be light enough to hover .
It climbs easily with a big foam shell on it so I would assume it would be able to carry a foam plane body.

Here is an example of it:
WLToys Q202 1st Park Hover Flight (3 min 54 sec)
Old Mar 02, 2016, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by v22chap
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,379 Posts
This is not the one I saw and probably be o.k. ... good luck .
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Mar 02, 2016, 12:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joexer View Post
...The rear rotors literally tilts forward...
The props barely turn 45 degrees. You'll have to point them forward another 45 if you want any chance of forward flight with this thing.

For this small design, tape a 3mm blue foam panel on it as a wing and see if it will fly. I'd lose as much weight as possible. Remove the prop guards, the rubber covering keeping the back tilting mechanism water tight and such.