SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:52 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing 49inch Extra 260

I'm posting this in the sports-section, as from what I've read about the plane, it is a sports plane !

The Hobbyking 49 inch extra 260 is a cheap entry into the world of balsa sports-planes, and retail price is 69.99 USD, with about the same amount added for shipping, if you take EMS for quick delivery.

Here are the Hobbyking stats on the plane:

SPECIFICATIONS
Wingspan : 1245mm
Length : 1192mm
Wing Area : 26.8dm2
Suggested Motor: Turnigy 42-XX size or 35-48
Recomended ESC: 60A
Suggested Prop: 11x5.5 or 12x8
Weight (without motor/battery etc.): 1050g

The weight of my kit was closer to 1000 grams than 1050.
Hobbyking's recommendations are as usual not necessarily much to go by. I know from user comments that some have gone with a lighter setup than the recommended, and have been happy with that. I'm probably going for a medium setup, focusing on adequate power and not too high weight, but nothing insane and overpowered.
I received my kit on tuesday, and have pretty much built it by now, except for installing servos, and electronics.
I went with a Turnigy 42-40 1050kv engine which physically fits well, but you still have to widen the opening in the cowling a little bit to have enough space for it.
My further setup will be a turnigy plush 60 amp esc, and 4x hxt 900 servos, the battery will be 3cell 2650 turnigy nanotech 25-50c, and propeller either 12x8 or 13x6 both giving around 400-450 watt according to some reviewers on hobbyking.com..

There is a build log/thread on the plane at hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f....asp?TID=11306

I have not found much info about this plane online, and I would hope that more owners could contribute and share their experiences with this plane.

Here's a link to a poor video of the plane, though it has a takeoff and a bouncy landing in it:
Extra Maiden 0002 (2 min 58 sec)
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Some data from the manual:
Wing area: 26.8 dm2

With my setup with a 120 gram engine, 60 gram esc, 215 gram lipo, 9g receiver, 4x9g servos - I'm aiming at an all up weight around 1450-1500 grams - giving a wing load of 55 grams/dm (1475grams all up weight).
If anybody has similar sized extras and can comment on this weight it would be interesting. As I understand the plane will be heavy for 3d but good for sport flying with this kind of wing-loading.

My building went well except for one critical part - the tail, I did not center the horizontal stab 100%, stupid work to do at 04.00 in the morning. I'm hoping that it will not affect flight characteristic too badly, as I don't feel like trying to tear it free from the glue, with possible destruction as result..
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:26 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2009
554 Posts
Cool video, but I wouldn't buy from HobbyKing ever again. The customer service is horrible there.
hobbypartz is offline Find More Posts by hobbypartz
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbypartz View Post
Cool video, but I wouldn't buy from HobbyKing ever again. The customer service is horrible there.
I've seen many reports of poor support from most if not all of the cheap distributors and have experienced it myself from a few as well... nitroplanes, hobbypartz, xheli are among those as well. So it ends up being a matter of if someone is willing to put price over quality and service when they purchase from any company such as these.

The only real issue I personally had with HK only deals with slow to ship type of issues in certain cases. I've also purchased a few items from Nitroplanes and XHeli without issue but if you look at others experiences listed here and other places, you'd also see complaints on them as well. I believe that most people understand the chances they are taking when ordering from these types of places, if they don't, then they are simply fooling themselves.

I had actually considered getting this Extra 260 but decided against it since I could get a better quality plane for only a little bit more from a company based here in the USA. My main concerns on this plane were minor... the LG seemed weak ( but that is a common complaint on many planes ) and the firewall/motor mount appeared to be a bit weak as well... The rest of plane still looks to be a good deal though even if its not the highest quality available.
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:14 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
If your nick is Hobbypartz aka the name of a shop it's pretty lame to come here and talk bad about the competition, so please stay away, this is not a thread about different shops, it's about a plane...

Anyway - an update on my building - still waiting for the esc, but got around to installing the aileron servos today. Used only wood screws for the servo-horns, an alternative was screws going through the aileron and coming out on top, but that would be way too ugly..
Encountered one problem - I had to bend the control horns (coorect word ? the sticks from servo to aileron ?) and made the bends too big, that way I got slop in the servo movement, not sure how I will fix it without rebending, but there must be a way.

For amusement to those who have not seen a manual from China, here are some pictures, plus pictures of servo installation. The need for a drill with really small drill bits was again demonstrated, as drilling was required into the wood of course, but also on both ends from servo to aileron, the holes in the hxt-900 servo arms are too small, and also the holes on the provided servo horns in the kit felt safer to drill out as they seemed likely to break otherwise.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:04 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
Encountered one problem - I had to bend the control horns (coorect word ? the sticks from servo to aileron ?) and made the bends too big, that way I got slop in the servo movement, not sure how I will fix it without rebending, but there must be a way.
FYI...

The plastic piece on the servo ( ie the white one, can come in many different materials and colors )... is a servo arm
The plastic piece on the control surface ( your aileron in this case ) is the control horn
The rod that goes from the servo arm to the control horn is the pushrod...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:02 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsok View Post
FYI...

The plastic piece on the servo ( ie the white one, can come in many different materials and colors )... is a servo arm
The plastic piece on the control surface ( your aileron in this case ) is the control horn
The rod that goes from the servo arm to the control horn is the pushrod...
-----------

Hehe, thanks a lot !
Had to drill out the holes both in servo arm and control horn, and the bending of the pushrod was less than perfect, oh, there I got it I think !
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
-----------

Hehe, thanks a lot !
Had to drill out the holes both in servo arm and control horn, and the bending of the pushrod was less than perfect, oh, there I got it I think !
Needing to resize the holes is common... with the number of different size pushrods, clevis connectors etc the holes are usually made for the smallest size so the user can drill up to the size needed for their connection.

I actually picked up a finger drill just for that type of issue and use it for resizing holes or drilling a hole in the wood... much easier than getting out a motorized drill in many cases.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Some comments on the manual:

- The servo placement for tail servos is correct, there are 3 holes in the body under the covering, opening both in the same height will cause servos to meet inside the plane and not go all the way in, so use one up and one down like indicated in the manual. Probably you've put the manual down already because it's so useless, that's why I mention it...

- The motor is shown as sitting inside the mount. If you mount it like that you will have to use a really long prop-shaft, or you will have to redesign the mount to get it far enough forwards.

- The picture indicating how to strap in the battery, seems to be of the top of the motor-mount. The sensible thing would be to have the battery inside the plane under the canopy, not inside the cowl, and indeed that's where others who have built it before have had it.

- On the picture of the motor-mount it is mentioned that it connects to firewall with 3 screws, when indeed it connects with 6 pieces of wood locking into slots in the firewall. Mine needed some sanding to go in at all.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
The plane is now finished, and all I need to fly is good weather, and to decide how far forwards I'm putting the battery... Suggested Center of Gravity is 85mm from leading edge at wingroot, the wing is 300mm wide at root, so well in forward of normal 1/3 of wing.
Any comments from other extra fliers on this would be much appreciated.

Here is a video from today's ground testing - don't watch if bad quality tends to annoy you :-)...
extra 260 testing.wmv (0 min 26 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Finally got to maiden the plane, and as this is my first ARF-build, and also my first balsa-plane, I was quite nervous.
But no need for that, the plane flew smooth as silk, and cliches like that and "on rails" are what comes to my mind.
I did balance the plane at 88-89mm from leading edge, instead of recommended 85mm in manual. It seemed almost impossible to stall, it was just sinking down when I slowed it really down...

I had set up servo-travel to 80% on ailerons and elevator, as that seemed to be enough when I looked at the movement available. I also had 25% expo all around.

I mostly just flied slowly around to get used to the plane, I prefer that instead of losing orientation on a new bird I'm not used to :-)... but the plane seemed plenty capable of aerobatics, and the limiting factor in my case will be the pilot !

Here's the video with some Norwegian music on it:
HobbyKing balsa extra 260 maiden.wmv (6 min 55 sec)

And here with a great Blues track called Move Me:
extra maiden move me.wmv (6 min 41 sec)

And even here without music hehe, was bored by Youtube's slow upload with music on, and put this up in case they delete the others because of copyright..:
extra maiden no music.wmv (6 min 41 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Cubber1,

Congrats on the successful maiden... I have to agree with you on the CG placement you selected if I go by the video... it looks spot on to me from that also. I guess they were trying to be conservative in the manual.

Randy
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Thanks !
Yes, I read from others that they liked it better at 87mm, and that it was way nose-heavy at 85, so thought that with 300mm wing, 88-89 should also be good...
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:53 AM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Hmmm...This plane seems like a nice little winter project.

Does anyone have pictures of the motor actually mounted? Someone said that it had to be mounted inside the motor-mount. I've never done that before.

Thanks for the great write up. The instruction manual looks high quality too.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Nov 07, 2010, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillard View Post
Hmmm...This plane seems like a nice little winter project.

Does anyone have pictures of the motor actually mounted? Someone said that it had to be mounted inside the motor-mount. I've never done that before.

Thanks for the great write up. The instruction manual looks high quality too.
-----------
I have the motor mounted on the outside of the mount, though the manual has it inside...
The turnigy 42-40 drops right in no modification, except a little drilling in the wood mount to fit the screws in, and a little extending of the opening in the cowl.