HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2013
76 Posts
FAQ
Inspire 1 FAQ (Unofficial)

Hey all, I've been watching a lot of the Inspire 1 threads and trying to compile a list of the most asked questions. Since the owner's thread has ballooned to about 3 trillion posts , I thought I'd start a new FAQ thread with what I think are hopefully some of the more helpful bits of information. Feel free to post your suggestions of things to add, delete, or update.

Inspire 1 FAQ

Current Hot Topics

Is the Inspire 1 entirely safe to fly right now (1/21/2015)?
You may have seen recent reports about issues with the Inspire 1, along with videos of various people crashing them in a variety of ways. Although it's impossible to know the exact reason for crashes posted on YouTube, DJI is currently investigating at least 3 separate crashes where users report erratic behavior (immediately flying up and away, immediately flying forward, etc). DJI acknowledged a potential IMU issue in firmware .14 and it is HIGHLY recommended not to fly your new Inspire 1 until you update to at least version .16. To download the firmware and installation instructions, follow this link: http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/download

An additional issue that has been reported is the (highly unlikely) possibility of a self-tightening prop becoming lose and coming off during flight. DJI has also acknowledged this issue as well, and will be shipping all users "prop-locks"¯, which are small plastic clips that will keep the props from coming lose. Here is a video recently posted by DJI showing the prop-locks and how they will install:
DJI – Inspire 1 1345 Propeller Locks Installation Demonstration (1 min 9 sec)

Again, it is HIGHLY recommended that you not fly your Inspire 1 until you receive and install the prop-locks. If you choose to fly regardless of the recommendation not to, be sure to hand tighten the props by holding the bell of the motor and tightening each prop. Also, for anyone thinking of custom ways to secure the props in the meantime, I received the following information from DJI employee "Tahoe Ed":
Quote:
I will note that DJI R&D tested the use of rubber washers under the props and does not recommend that they be used. They can actually increase the risk of props flying off.
So that is not a recommended solution. Attempting other custom solutions is done at your own risk. It's best to wait for the prop-locks directly from DJI.

Is there an iOS version of the DJI Pilot App for the Inspire 1?
Currently there is not an officially available version of the DJI Pilot app for iOS. There was an iOS version of the app available briefly from DJI's site, but it has been pulled since DJI was using a workaround "developer enterprise" implementation to distribute the app. Apparently Apple caught on to this and forced DJI to stop distributing the app in that manner. However, DJI support assures customers that an official version of the app (via the app store) will be available soon. In the meantime, it is still possible to very unofficially get a copy of the iOS app that was briefly released. It has been re-uploaded and made available courtesy of forum member "wattsn". Installation is done at your own risk, but the installation instructions are as follows:

"I shall ensure any updated versions are uploaded here so the latest should always be available assuming no bandwidth/download restrictions applied to my account. To install this on your iPad or iPhone, no jailbreak necessary, simply follow the instructions below."
  • 1) Download the ipa file to your desktop from : https://app.box.com/InspirePilot
  • 2) Download and install the ifunbox app on your pc/mac from : www.i-funbox.com
  • 3) Plug in your iOS device to your pc (do not launch itunes)
  • 4) Launch ifunbox app and click on install app option. Point to ipa file

Which Android devices are compatible with the Inspire 1 and DJI Pilot App?
According to the DJI specs list, the following devices are compatible with the Inspire 1:
  • Samsung S5,
  • Note 3,
  • P900 tablet,
  • Sony Z3 EXPERIA,
  • Google Nexus 7 II
  • Mi 3
  • Nubia Z7 mini
Additionally, users have unofficially tested a variety of Android devices for compatibility with the DJI Pilot app: **courtesy KGarrison**
  • Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" - Works well for some, others report some jitter/lag
  • Galaxy Tab 7 - (OS too old to install)
  • Galaxy Tab S - Horrible lag and jitter even with video quality turned all the way down
  • Epson Moverio - (OS too old to install)
  • Nexus 9 - Jerky video at times, occasional lag.
  • Dell Venue 8 - Occasional fits of lag, could probably live with it for a little while
  • nVidia Shield - very smooth, only noticed one brief hiccup during 12 minute flight

I ordered the dual-controller version of the Inspire 1, but I only received a single controller, what's going on?
DJI is currently shipping the single-controller version of the Inspire 1 to customers that ordered single and dual-controller versions. For those that ordered the dual-controller version, DJI will be shipping you the additional controller at some point in the near future.

I'd like to buy a DJI Inspire 1, but nobody seems to have them in stock. Where can I buy one?
The following two vendors have been active in the RCGroups Inspire 1 owner's thread, and have both been quick to mention when they have stock of the Inspire 1 and corresponding accessories. I have no connection to either one, but both seem to have quick response and good customer interaction:

(As of 1/21/2015)
David at www.AllERC.com (Often has the Inspire 1 and TB47 standard¯ batteries available)
Kerry at www.MulticopterWarehouse.com (Recently has the Inspire 1 available)

I'm an advanced user and would like to be able to check the balance of my props. Is there a prop balance rod available yet that is compatible with the Inspire 1's props?
David at www.AllERC.com has some prop balance rods available here: http://www.allerc.com/orion-rc-balan...rs-p-9782.html . These aren't necessary an "official" accessory, but will allow users who own a prop-balancer such as the Du-Bro ( http://shop.dubro.com/p/tru-spin-pro...ncer-qty-pkg-1 ) to effectively balance the props.

Are the TB48 extended capacity batteries shipping yet?
I haven't seen any retailers in the USA with them in stock yet, but hopefully soon. Other countries may get them sooner.

Why do the carbon fiber tubes on my Inspire 1 look strange/different than the ones I've seen?
"The classical CF tube is made of prepreg. The inner part is made of undirectional prepreg and the surface is a layer of 3K woven prepreg. The other CF tube with larger patterns is made from a completely different process, which is filament winding. You could consider a winding tube is made of semi-woven CF completely, from the bottom to the surface. Compare to prepreg tubes, winding tubes shows much better torsion strength but is more difficult to manufacture, it heavily relies on expensive automation equipments. On the other hand the tooling to make prepreg tubes is very simple and cheap. Both prepreg tube and filament winding tube meets the standard of inspire 1 so they will not bring in any noticable performance difference. As a matter of fact two tubes cost almost the same. DJI chooses to use them both simply to secure the supply chain"¯ - Dr. Tubro of DJI

Why do some of the motors on my Inspire 1 have 4 threaded holes instead of 2 on the bell?
This is probably due to manufacturing demand. The two motors should be identical except for the thread pattern. Most likely, it is not a problem and should not affect the flight characteristics or compatibility with accessories.

Basic Operation Tips

What are some good "safe flying" rules of thumb? (Some advice is U.S.A. specific)
  • READ THE MANUAL and familiarize yourself with all aspects of flying before you even consider going out to fly your new multicopter.
  • Make sure the firmware on the Inspire 1 and controller(s) is up to date. Make sure the DJI Pilot software is the latest version.
  • Make sure your first flight is in a nice big open field.
  • Don't fly near or over big crowds of people or downtown buildings.
  • Don't fly over 400' above the ground.
  • Don't fly in heavy wind or if there's any rain.
  • Remember that when flying "nose-in" all your controls will be reversed. Make sure to practice this before trying it with obstacles nearby.
  • Don't fly beyond visual range. It will be tempting but is dangerous. You could lose your copter or even potentially injure a person or property.

How do I make the Inspire 1 return to the home point?
On the DJI Inspire controller, press and hold the RTH button for 2 seconds. This ensures you don't accidentally hit the button.

How do I cancel the Inspire 1 from returning to the home point?
Just like initiating the RTH, you can cancel the RTH by pressing and holding the RTH button for 2 seconds.

Do I need to calibrate the IMU?
Yes, you should calibrate your IMU before the first time you fly. There's a possibility the IMU calibration changed during shipping, so be sure to use the DJI Pilot app to calibrate the IMU before you fly. Make sure you do this on a perfectly flat surface and away from any sources of interference. This can be done by clicking the "Mode" button near the top left, then scroll to the bottom and click "Advanced Settings". Next click "Sensors" and scroll to the bottom to click "ADVANCED" calibration.

Do I need to calibrate the compass?
Yes! Absolutely. It is recommended to calibrate the compass every time you fly in a new location. Make sure your Inspire 1 is on a flat, even surface away from any type of metal or large metallic structures. In the DJI Pilot app, click the "Mode" button near the top left, then scroll to "Calibrate Compass". Once you've clicked calibrate you will rotate your Inspire 360 degrees horizontally, followed by tilting the nose straight down towards the ground and rotating it again (vertically). You can find a video demonstrating this here:
http://youtu.be/ZdG1OGulRaY?t=2m8s

What should the orientation of the Inspire 1 controller's antennas be in order to achieve the best signal and maximum range?
Generally, the signal from the type of antenna used on the Inspire 1 controller is transmitted perpendicularly outward from the face of the antenna. This means, if you have the antennas pointed out straight ahead, the signal is going mostly up/down. If you have the antennas pointing straight up into the air, the signal is going mostly forward/backward. If you will be flying almost directly above where you are standing, it may be heplful to keep the antennas pointing forward. However, for most flying in which you are flying out in front of yourself, it is best to keep the antennas pointing straight upward for maximum range distance. Try to always face the direction of the craft for maximum signal strength and range.

What's a good start up procedure? *courtesy Yostopia*
1) Confirm SD in camera.
2) Confirm ND filter in camera.
3) Prop install and check tightness
4) Final A/C check
5) Flight mode switch to GPS
6) Tx power ON.
7) Open app, check that app/Tx are communicating
8) Check cached map and set any distance limits
9) Put Tablet and Phone into Airplane mode
10) A/C power ON, remove any metal (keys, etc) from pockets
11) Calibrate compass and let A/C soak up GPS for 2-3 min
12) Status check for slow-green indicator light flash
13) Confirm camera/video functions (log mode, resolution and frame rate, ISO, shutter speed, etc)
14) Record switch ON
15) Take off
16) Gear up
17) Gimbal horizon adjust
18) Remember to drop gear before landing.

Troubleshooting Tips

Why does my Inspire 1 seem to vibrate when flying in the wind with the landing gear up?
**courtesy of BryanB**
"This is a known issue, sorry that you're experiencing this. If you would like to send in the unit for a repair, I could help you with that. However, the problem seems to come from the large 16-sided tie-down nuts on the front of the T-section of the arms. You can take a wrench to those and tighten them down a little bit, this seems to fix the vibration on many units." - DJI Pro Support

DJI says the batteries will get 18 minutes flight time, but I'm only getting 12-15, what gives?
The flight times given by DJI are rated by simply hovering around 10 feet off the ground until the battery goes almost bone dry. If you did that, you'd get more like 18 minutes on a standard 4500mah 6s battery. But, if you're flying around quickly, in heavy wind, in low temps, or other variables you will get quite a bit lower than the rated 18 minute flight time on a standard battery. It's not technically a problem, just a frustration of typical advertising.

The pinch clip on the harness/lanyard to hold my controller doesn't feel safe/broke. What can I do about it?
**courtesy of Moera Creative¯**
There is a potential issue with the harness pinch clip breaking lose which could cause you to drop your controller. This could result in some very costly damage. DJI has supposedly acknowledged the issue and you can contact support to submit a ticket for the recall. DJI will send you a new harness in 2-3 weeks when the new batch is imported from China. In the meantime, you could also Google some of the various replacement clips and workarounds that others are using for their harness.

The motors on my Inspire 1 spin twice rapidly when I arm the motors right before I take off. Is this a problem?
This is normal behavior and not a problem. The motors perform this action in order to help ensure the self tightening props are attached snugly. DO NOT RELY on this alone. It's simply an extra measure of caution. But you should be manually hand tightening your props before flying.

I'm trying to update the firmware on my Inspire 1 but it just seems to keep restarting. Whats wrong?
You may need to connect the Inspire 1 to a device running the DJI Pilot App in order to complete the firmware upgrade successfully.

I updated the firmware on my Inspire 1 and I think it was successful, but in the corresponding txt document on the microSD card it says "result:cancel", did it work?
It is likely that you have updated to the correct firmware. Many users have reported the "result:cancel" status but have confirmed that the firmware did indeed update. If you have "result:failed" then it didn't work.

When my Inspire 1 is on the ground and I move the rudder stick left or right, the gimbal seems to move with it. Is this normal?
Likely, yes. Multiple users report this same behavior and it's thought to be normal.

Filmmaking Tips

What are the best settings to use for the highest quality and ability to edit in post?
  • Shoot in .MOV or .mp4 depending on what editing/NLE software you use. Theoretically it's the same compression in a different "wrapper" and should look almost the same either way.
  • You can leave the white balance at Auto and it tends to do a nice job.
  • For video size, use "4k" at the frame rate of your choice.
  • For the "Style" choose custom with the following values:
    • Leave sharpness at 0. It's still a little overly "sharpened" with artifacts at 0, but even just taking it to -1 causes SERIOUS detail loss. It's not just "not applying extra sharpening", it actually actively makes the image mushier. Don't change the sharpness hoping for less artifacts, you're MUCH better off doing that in post. For Premiere users I recommend using the "gaussian blur" effect at a value of 2-3.
    • If shooting in "LOG" color mode (see next list item), leave contrast at 0. If not shooting in "LOG", take contrast to -2.
    • Take saturation to -1. Really no need to desaturate it more than that. You don't want an ultra desatured image with this level of compression, it does bad things when you try to bring it back.
  • For "Color", use the "LOG" option. The "LOG" color mode is analogous to GoPro's "ProTune" and provides a flatter image for more grading flexibility

I'm trying to tilt and pan the camera nice and slow, but the movement is always jerky. How can I get the pan/tilt to be smoother?
The pan and tilt sensitivity can be adjusted in the DJI pilot app. Go into the RC settings by clicking on the little transmitter signal strength icon, then clicking "RC Control Settings"¯. For the tilt, click on "Gimbal Wheel Speed" then take it down to around 30% for a much smoother tilt function. For smoother pan, click on "Stick EXP Curve"¯ and adjust the "Yaw EXP curve"¯ to 0.30 for a much smoother Yaw response.

My video files all seem to stop at 4gb, is this normal?
Yes. Even though the Inspire 1 may support exFAT formatting, it still limits the maximum file size to 4gb to ensure compatibility with a FAT32 environment in which files may not exceed 4gb in size. However, the camera can continuously record and will simply start recording an additional file as soon as each 4gb file is filled up. You'll just have to be sure to line up all of the corresponding files in your editing program to make sure you get all of the parts of the footage.

I'm trying to shoot video at 24p/30p/60p but I only see the options for 25p/50p, how do access those framerates?
You need to go into the DJI Pilot App, in the "General Settings" area (the little gear icon in the top left) and choose the appropriate region for your camera. NTSC for 60hz (24p,30p,60p) and PAL for 50hz (25p,50p)

Do I need to use an ND filter? What does it do?
The Inspire 1 ships with two camera filters. Typically, the camera comes with the clear filter already installed. However, along with the gimbal/camera you should find an additional filter in a small brown/black pouch. This additional filter is called an "ND filter" and helps to block a specific amount of light from reaching the camera. This will allow the camera to shoot with a lower shutter speed when shooting in bright situations (outdoors with lots of sunlight). A lower shutter speed will help to reduce the "rolling shutter" jitter that is sometimes seen in brightly lit scenes. Basically, if it's really bright out, use the ND filter. If it's not bright out, use the clear filter. You can exchange filters by simply screwing them onto or off of the front the camera.

Which resolution and framerate should I be filming at?
That depends on what you want to do. 4k provides the most resolution, but is limited to 30fps. It provides the maximum image quality. However, it may also be difficult for you to edit if you have an older/slower computer. 1080p is a lower resolution but will allow you to shoot in 60fps. This may be helpful if you're shooting sports/action or want to produce slow-motion effects in post production.

Should I be shooting image in .JPG or .DNG?
.JPG is a compressed image format. It doesn't take up much space, and can be viewed on most computers. However, the image quality is not nearly as good as .DNG. DNG is a "raw" image format which captures the data straight from the image sensor with no compression. It makes full use of the camera's resolution and allows you to make changes to white balance and other settings easily in post with no loss in quality. Make sure you have a program on your computer capable of viewing and editing DNG files. I strongly recommend shooting in .JPG+.DNG mode because you then have quickly viewable .JPG files, but also will have access to the maximum image quality of the .DNG files for post-processing.

Advanced Settings and Current Firmware Info
**courtesy of rbendjebar**

Quote:
Gain Settings
Factory Default Settings, in my view, make the Inspire a little twitchy and instantly responsive to stick inputs. For smoother craft movement I have adjusted my gains by changing yaw to 70% and Atti to 90%. This works for me in getting a more stable platform for video.
Note: Please read the warning at the bottom of the page. I recommend making any value changes 5% at a time, then flying the craft to evaluate handling.

Stick Calibration
It's not a bad idea to calibrate your sticks, especially if you feel that the Inspire seems to be drifting or yawing with un-commanded stick input. Make sure the Inspire is not powered on during calibration. Find stick calibration in the app under the transmitter symbol, RC Control Settings and follow the instructions. Don't forget to deflect the tilt wheel full stop both ways, in addition to the sticks.

The following Gimbal Wheel Speed and Stick Expo Curve settings are covered above in the tips on how to achieve smoother pans and tilts, but the information bears repeating here because it is a question that comes up VERY often. While you're in RC Control Settings:
  • Gimbal Wheel Speed
    Gimbal Wheel Speed can be set to your liking by varying from slow to fast. I like slow pans and tilts for a more cinematic look, so I have mine set at 30. Even so, you can ramp up and ramp down the tilt/pan speed when beginning or ending gimbal movement by slowly increasing/decreasing your wheel deflection. A deft hand (left index finger, actually) is required. Pretend you're Spielberg's DP.
  • Stick Expo Curve
    I have throttle and yaw expos set at .30. the lowest setting. This means that deflection is dampened from stick center outward for smooth command inputs, with further travel commanding increasing change. Move it to .70, the most radical, and small stick inputs from center will command quicker change. Set to your preference. Default is .40
    Note: Expo for Pitch and Roll on the right stick are not yet available but promised for future FW upgrades.

C1/C2 Buttons
The buttons on the back of the controller (Master for 2 transmitter setups) have many available settings. I find that what works for me is to set C1 at Gimbal Pitch/Yaw ( it's hidden, so scroll up) and C2 at Reset Gimbal Yaw. That way I can switch between tilt and pan function (when they say yaw, it's really panning the camera, not yawing the Inspire craft itself) control for the left side wheel and if I need to snap the camera forward for FPV orientation, I push the C2 button.

Current Firmware Versions - Updated 1/20/15
Gimbal - FW: 01.05 - Loader 01.00
Center Board - FW: 02.03 - Loader 03.00
Air Encoder - FW: 01.10 - Loader 01.00
Air OFDM - FW: 01.03 - Loader 03.00
Ground Decoder - FW 01.03 - Loader 01.00
Camera - FW 01.03
Main Controller - FW 01.15 - Loader 34.01
Ground OFDM - FW 01.03 - Loader 02.00
Battery 03.00 - Loader 02.06

Miscellaneous Questions

Does the Inspire 1 have the ability to fly via GPS waypoints?
Not currently no. DJI have not announced GPS waypoint functionality, but that doesn't mean it will never be available. We don't know for now.

In the pictures I've seen, many people seem to have a carry case for the Inspire 1. Does that come with it?
Yes. To my knowledge everyone who ordered the Inspire 1 receives a really nice carrying case with it. The case holds the Inspire 1, a total of 7 batteries, 2 controllers, a charger, and space for a couple of tablets.

Will there be an SDK available for the Inspire 1 so that developers can make custom apps for it?
Yes, although the timeframe for the SDK release has not been made public.

How is the number of battery discharge cycles calculated?
1 discharge cycle is added each time the battery is discharged by 75%

Example Video / Photo

Footage

**courtesy of "laselvasurf" **
Santa Cruz Harbor Sunset - DJI Inspire 1 - 4K UHD (4 min 4 sec)

Steamer Lane, CA - Sunrise to Sunset - DJI Inspire 1 - 4K UHD (4 min 28 sec)

**courtesy of "anticipate" **
Salisbury Sunset - DJI Inspire 1 Test Flight 4 (14 min 21 sec)

**courtesy of "Evilmonkee42" **
Inspire 1 - Coast Flight (3 min 35 sec)

Stills
*will update soon*
iancresswell is online now Find More Posts by iancresswell
Last edited by iancresswell; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:54 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dundee
Joined Jan 2015
8 Posts
Hi Ian,

Great start. Am I right in thinking you are using a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 yourself?

If so, what do you think of the tablet brightness for use on very sunny days?
Euan Williamson is online now Find More Posts by Euan Williamson
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:12 AM
Joined Sep 2013
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Williamson View Post
Hi Ian,

Great start. Am I right in thinking you are using a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 yourself?

If so, what do you think of the tablet brightness for use on very sunny days?
Yes I'm using the Tab Pro 8.4

It's nice and smooth but the brightness for outdoor use leaves a bit to be desired. Of course, almost all tablets do when viewing in direct sunlight, and I really don't know of any tablets that are much better. I may eventually add some sort of hood, but for now I love the elegance and simplicity of my setup. Just the Inspire, the controller, and the tablet. No jerry-rigging, no velcro, no zip-ties, no tape. Everything is just simple and sleek. I compared my Tab Pro 8.4 to an iPad Air 2 and the difference in brightness was marginal. Definitely not nearly worth the price difference for me personally. YMMV
iancresswell is online now Find More Posts by iancresswell
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:25 AM
United States, MI, Romulus
Joined Nov 2014
18 Posts
Good Job

Great FAQ

Al
MiDJIPILOT is online now Find More Posts by MiDJIPILOT
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2014
47 Posts
Thanks so much for this post. It will help a ton of people that don't want to sift through over 10k posts in the other thread! That thread is crazy, look away and you have 8 pages to catch up on.
HappyHourHex is online now Find More Posts by HappyHourHex
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:27 AM
Joined Mar 2014
116 Posts
Perfect and thanks for the work... I have one different question... Is there a new FC for this equipment like Naza M v2 or A2 ? Best regards.
Carlos Toledo is offline Find More Posts by Carlos Toledo
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:12 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2013
540 Posts
Great job on this!!! Thanks for taking the time.

A few notes: The case has space for 3 batteries and really only enough space for one tablet (a small 7" Nexus) where the manual is in the box.

The included ND may not be string enough to counter bright sunlight (and thus open your shutter up, eliminating jello) depending on the wind, etc.

I shoot in AWB, LOG, but don't reduce contrast. LOG is already a defined gamma curve that meshes well with Gopro Hero 3/3+ Protune. I have applied Protune LUTs essentially (via film convert) and the translation is spot on. If you reduce contrast further, you are only compressing the LOG curve more without getting anything out of it but noise. Reducing contrast going for a flat profile when you are shooting LOG is making things worse. It's ok to do when you have no LOG gamma however, if only because it is an approximation of LOG. But don't mix the two.
anticipate is offline Find More Posts by anticipate
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:20 AM
Canada, QC, Joliette
Joined Sep 2005
205 Posts
Wow impressive work! THANKS A LOT!
This thread should be link on the Inspire 1 owners thread first post.

Mart
phover is online now Find More Posts by phover
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:04 AM
DWA
John 3:16
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Dec 2004
11,005 Posts
Great idea! Thanks!

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:23 AM
Aerialist
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Dec 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipate View Post
Great job on this!!! Thanks for taking the time.

A few notes: The case has space for 3 batteries and really only enough space for one tablet (a small 7" Nexus) where the manual is in the box.

The included ND may not be string enough to counter bright sunlight (and thus open your shutter up, eliminating jello) depending on the wind, etc.

I shoot in AWB, LOG, but don't reduce contrast. LOG is already a defined gamma curve that meshes well with Gopro Hero 3/3+ Protune. I have applied Protune LUTs essentially (via film convert) and the translation is spot on. If you reduce contrast further, you are only compressing the LOG curve more without getting anything out of it but noise. Reducing contrast going for a flat profile when you are shooting LOG is making things worse. It's ok to do when you have no LOG gamma however, if only because it is an approximation of LOG. But don't mix the two.
Good advice on the contrast in LOG. Don't bestir the noise gremlins.

Au contraire on the battery storage. There is space for 6 additional batteries in the case. Look under the controller storage (space for two batteries there).

And thanks a bunch, Ian, for putting up this thread. I was gonna do it (really!) but you beat me to it.
rbendjebar is offline Find More Posts by rbendjebar
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:30 AM
La Belle Idee
France, IdF, Viels-Maisons
Joined May 2013
76 Posts
To "Iancresswell"

Simply bravo and many thanks for this huge idea.. Really helpfull.
LA BELLE IDEE is offline Find More Posts by LA BELLE IDEE
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
11,368 Posts
Ian, nicely done. I will note that DJI R&D tested the use of rubber washers under the props and does not recommend that they be used. They can actually increase the risk of props flying off.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Ian, nicely done. I will note that DJI R&D tested the use of rubber washers under the props and does not recommend that they be used. They can actually increase the risk of props flying off.
Was that the rubber O-ring or a washer that they tested? I have seen two types being used.
Wakecrzy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Wakecrzy2000
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:07 AM
Wedding Photographer
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,997 Posts
Small update, version 1.0.3 of the android app no longer has an option for basic IMU calibration. The only option now is the advanced calibration.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:31 AM
Aerialist
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Dec 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I agree that the O-rings or washers actually are counter-productive int that they provide upward pressure on the prop hub, when what actually grips the prop securely on the motor hub is the downward friction of prop thread to hub thread. That may be why there is a gap ion the first place, to allow the prop to become centered and leveled on the motor hub flange.
rbendjebar is offline Find More Posts by rbendjebar