SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14 Posts
Discussion
Which flight controller to get?

I want a flight controller that can support gps, is easy to setup, and not to expensive. I have it narrowed down to these controllers from hobbyking:
afroflight naze32
openpilot cc3d
multiwii and megapirate aio(this is the one I am most sold on)

If there are any I am leaving out, feel free to giv your input. I would like to spedn no more than 45 or 50, but if there is a good reason, I could see spending around 75, if i is justified. I was looking at the HKPilot32, but it just doesn't seem to be worth it when the controller I listed can pretty much the same thing as far as i can see. Or maybe the HKPilot Mega 2.7, but again, It seems the ones I listed do the same thing. Anyways, Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
snyper1982 is offline Find More Posts by snyper1982
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 06:27 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,950 Posts
look at rctimer and get a fixhawk
if you are located in america you should buy original pixhawk because the price it s almost the same than a clone and you will have a better support
naze32,and openpilot board are great but not for gps mode
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:35 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,190 Posts
I was just looking at that, $279 though is waaaaay out of his stated price range of $45-$75.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,950 Posts
so you can buy apm 2.6
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14 Posts
Isn't the HKPilot Mega 2.7 based on APM?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:23 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Please not the APM, I got burned on that one. All the bells and whistles but impossible to make it all work.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:06 PM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
157 Posts
the APM 2.6 works great
ArltTech is offline Find More Posts by ArltTech
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:54 PM
Joined May 2014
25 Posts
Yeah the APM is a great board but you need to know what your doing. It's pretty hard to get working but very configurable. The Pixhawk is a great board too, i got mine (clone) for $150-ish with all the accessories from ebay. Just as hard to configure as APM.
wifiguru10 is offline Find More Posts by wifiguru10
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:44 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Im sure the APM 2.6 is better, Pixhawk seems like a real contender.
Snyper what are you going with?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
24 Posts
for that price range, Naze32 is great and not too bad to set up. Very small too.
achang84 is offline Find More Posts by achang84
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2014
24 Posts
$99 for an rtfhawk, $129 or so for a HKPilot32 which is a pixhawk clone and it includes the power module and such. Can't go wrong with either of these. The APM/megapirate boards are already maxed out and have features trimmed from them on the current versions of APM:Copter, so you'd effectively be buying end-of-life hardware to save a few bucks. The HKPilot/RTFHawk/Fixhawk are the current development targets for APM so if you want to go in that direction and have all the newest features like EKF and poshold modes your best best is one of the hawk clones.

At the very least get a crius v2 board if you are going cheap APM/multiwii because the AIO boards lack the dataflash chip so you won't be able to get any logging. You will still have to get a case for it or foam up the baro for acceptable altitude hold.
krispzz is online now Find More Posts by krispzz
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:37 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Wow I just checked out the rtfHawk, man I might go with that, thanks krispzz.
32 bit processor , gps add on. But it seems from the reviews people got their quad flying with it in under ten minutes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:31 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Apr 2014
329 Posts
get anything that is to the limit of your ability to understand.

if youare patient, and willing to learn, and want everything that can be done, then get any flight controller that will run ardupilot controller software...

the difference between the apm and the pixhawk, (or clone), s the number of add on devices that the board can handle of the number of commands that the board can handle without 'glitching'.

but if you are a relative newbie, you will be hard pressed to hit that limit anytime soon...

the ardupilot system can be easy.. and can be basic... it will take slightly more time to get that board to fly with these basic settings then other flight controllers...

but, after that initial learning curve, you will get to the door that opens to a world of information.

you will be able to see the time it takes from moving a stick to the time it takes for the motor to react and then the time it takes for the thrust to overcome the inertia/ position of the aircraft.

the 'big selling point' in the latest versions are that it has 'AUTO TUNING'...

flip a switch, and ten minutes later, the craft is tuned...

anyways.. its your choice...
bergovoy is offline Find More Posts by bergovoy
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted back in a while. Just been busy lately. Still haven't pulled the trigger and ordered. I have it narrowed down to these controllers:

WhiteSpy ReadytoFlyer 2.8 $39
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...flyer-2-6.html

The Rctimer RCTimer ArduFlyer V2.5.2 $69
http://rctimer.com/product-818.html

or on of the AIOP All in one Pro boards. Approximately $40

Right now I am leaning towards the ReadytoFlyer 2.8, because as far as I can tell it is an APM board, for the price of a AIOP board... Unless somebody gives me a compelling reason to go with something else, I believe I will be going with the RTFlyer 2.8. Even if I get a AIOP I will be running MPNG(Which to the best of my knowledge is basically APM).

Now can anyone point me to any articles for how to setup the apm boards and some beginner reading and such. I have no trouble putting in the time to learn what I need to know.

So I will be getting the RTFlyer 2.8
4 RTF EZ 30 AMP ESC's
A turnigy Talon frame

Now I just need help with the motors and props, and the transmitter(rc controller I assume), and receiver. I want to make sure whatever I get will be ok for everything I want to do. I eventually want to add a camera gimbal system, so having enough channels to control a camera would be ideal.

I was thinking a 6 channel system might suffice. Something like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Mode_2_.html

Assuming it is compatible with my FC.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 06:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Herefordshire
Joined Oct 2012
261 Posts
Why spend all that money and get such a crap tx?! The only thing you will never break/lose/flyaway will be the tx so get the 9x at least.. Or anything other than that one you linked!! You will eventually want 8x channels if you're going to control more flight modes or gimbal etc.. The Taranis looks good
geebles is online now Find More Posts by geebles