New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by RC_Simba
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
MetroG and JTM, Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it. Just flying by the seat of my pants here. Just pre-fitting parts and keeping it square. Seems to be working though.

I got really carried away tonight. The plan was to build the stabs, but after that was completed, I decided to just dry fit the fuse, next thing I knew I was slinging CA. My LHS ( Hobby Express in Cranberry, PA) is the best. They hooked me up with the little glue tips, so I have been dry fitting then wicking glue on in there all night. Much easier than I anticipated. I have wood glue too, but with 24 hour drying time, not sure how I would keep the parts together long enough for them to dry.

Tomorrow I will attempt the wing. and cover the fuse. There are some thin pieces of balsa or light ply, not sure where or how they go on. Just wrap them around the fuse? This has to be a wood glue moment - I'm thinking. Do not know if I could get that much CA over that big of an area before it dries.
RC_Simba is offline Find More Posts by RC_Simba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by JimTMich
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,521 Posts
Those thin pieces of balsa are refered to as sheeting. First sand the fuselage so it's smooth.. Then lightly wet the outside of the sheeting with a sponge and it should soften and wrap to shape. It may take a little while. You may need to sand it to fit or sand later. I have had success using ca after I'm happy with the way the sheeting is fitting.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jun 01, 2015, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by bayou_city_boy
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
Anyone done a removable wing yet?

I need a removable wing so the plane will fit in my travel case.

Has anyone tried a removable wing or two piece wing yet?

My case is only 18 inches long so I will need to slip the wing oif not splitting it into two halves.

Suggestions?

I have to use the small case to get on the little airlines they use now!

Seems like even the full scale airlines are going micro!!!
bayou_city_boy is offline Find More Posts by bayou_city_boy
Old Jun 02, 2015, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by zbrubaker
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Simba View Post
Tomorrow I will attempt the wing. and cover the fuse. There are some thin pieces of balsa or light ply, not sure where or how they go on. Just wrap them around the fuse? This has to be a wood glue moment - I'm thinking. Do not know if I could get that much CA over that big of an area before it dries.
You can use thick CA or wood glue to attach the sheeting. You can use painters tape to hold it in place while the wood glue dries if you go that route.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
Old Jun 02, 2015, 06:10 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_city_boy View Post
I need a removable wing so the plane will fit in my travel case.

Has anyone tried a removable wing or two piece wing yet?

My case is only 18 inches long so I will need to slip the wing oif not splitting it into two halves.

Suggestions?

I have to use the small case to get on the little airlines they use now!

Seems like even the full scale airlines are going micro!!!
I think a removable wing would be possible. A little blocking in the leading and trailing edge of the wing with some blocking under the wing and two small bolts to hold it in place. I could cut the blocking for you from some 1/4" balsa if you're interested in going that route.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,489 Posts
Glue tip

Just wanted to share my glue tip I learned from a friend. The handle is something like a pin vice and the tip is a big sewing needle with the top of the head cut off. I eyeballed the size of the needle, this one came in a variety pack. You can squeeze the ends together or bend them apart to get it to hold the desired amount of ca. A wood pencil / dowel could also be used as a handle, just tap the needle into the end. This tool is perfect for spot gluing with ca. You can also get it to pick up more glue and do seams with it. When it clogs, just hold the tip over a flame for a few seconds and the ca burns right off. This has saved me so much heartache when working with thin ca on small models. I use a cap from a soda or water bottle to hold a small amount of ca to work with on the bench.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Jun 03, 2015, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Got called out to work last night at my secondary job, so no progress to report. JTM & Zeke, thanks for the sheeting tips. More questions if you all don;t mind.

Q1: Should I mount the elevator with hinges before or after I cover the horizontal stab? Same with the Vert stab and rudder?

Q2: The wing gets inserted into a hole on either side of the fuse. Cover the wing and then insert it through the hole to install it, and risk tearing the covering, or install it and then cover it?

Q3: I do not have an iron or a heat gun for covering. What do you guys recommend? Sock for the iron or no sock? Can I use the wife's blow dryer or is that not hot enough? Serious question, I really do not know.

I am pretty amazed at how fast this model is coming together - especially since it is my first ever build. It all goes back to Mike Tully, MetroGTI and Zeke for pulling their resources and modifying the kit so even an idiot like me could build one. And for less than $40 I'm probably going to build at least one more. LOL.

IH8 that is one crazy looking glue tool. How did you saw off the top of the eye of the needle?
Old Jun 03, 2015, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Simba View Post

IH8 that is one crazy looking glue tool. How did you saw off the top of the eye of the needle?
I used a dremel tool cutoff wheel
Could probably use a pair of snips on a smaller needle.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Jun 03, 2015, 09:16 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,425 Posts
Q1: you always want to assemble things after they are covered. It's much easier that way.
Q2: cover the wing first, you won't tear the covering just by inserting it.
Q3: I like using a sock over the covering iron to avoid/eliminate scratching the covering. for a plane this small I would not use a heat gun, just turn the iron up and use that to shrink the covering.
Old Jun 03, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by bayou_city_boy
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
I think a removable wing would be possible. A little blocking in the leading and trailing edge of the wing with some blocking under the wing and two small bolts to hold it in place. I could cut the blocking for you from some 1/4" balsa if you're interested in going that route.
I will order a couple of the kits and take a look. It does sound pretty easy.

Thanks,

Don
bayou_city_boy is offline Find More Posts by bayou_city_boy
Old Jun 04, 2015, 07:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Oh what a night. My biggest fear, building the wing was all for not. Piece of cake. Any monkey with a stick could build this wing. I thought I would start with the ailerons, just to get a feel for it. No problem there, dry built them, pinned them down and wicked in the CA, Easy peasy. Now for the big boy. Decided to lay it all out and see what I was up against. The finished wing you see in the last pic isn't finished at all. There is no glue on it (except for the middle of the leading edge. Dry fit everything and it holds itself together.

I cannot say enough about the design of this kit. As I stated in my initial post, I have zero build experience. I am very pleased so far. I was very concerned when I saw the kit didn;t have instructions. I am used to Step 1 do this, Step 2 do that etc. Now, it has not been perfect, I made a couple of mistakes, but have been able to recover from them. For example, I completely forgot to put F6 inside the fuselage. I did not realize until AFTER I glued on the sheeting. No worries, I just fished it in there with needle nose and a stick and glued it in. Lesson learned. Slow down and triple check before moving on.

Covering is next. Bought an iron at the LHS, this could get ugly. I'm off to YouTube to watch a few hours of covering videos. I hope to get her covered this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input, it has been spot on and gave me the confidence to press forward. I looked for in-flight video, but have not found any. This plane deserves a video, and I will video the maiden and put it on YouTube so stay tuned.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:21 AM
Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Joined Jan 2008
583 Posts
Wow. It's been years since I last looked at this thread. I purchased a Twomosa kit back in '09 with intentions of building /bashing it for use with a Cox TD .010 glow engine. I never got around to it but decided to dig it out from under the bed last night and have another look at it. One thing lead to another and now, I've got the fuselage mostly glued up. My current plan is to install a TD .020 engine up front. That's going to require some deviations from the original design but looks doable.

I was at the SMALL fly-in in Little Rock, AR last weekend and had a blast flying a little "stick" with a TD .020 around the pattern chasing two others of similar build with the same engine. I'd like to return next year with something more unique and potent with the same engine. The TwoMosa looks like just the ticket!
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
583 Posts
Here's what I've got so far. Looks like it may be a bit of a challenge converting this to glow power and fitting all the goods where they need to go but it still looks "do-able". She has nice lines and I can't wait to see and hear her screaming around the sky.

The laser cut parts fit very nicely! I dry-assembled the wing and it was very straight and true before I attached it to the building board. I'll be adding some spar webs and such to beef it up a bit.

I laminated some extra sheeting on the base of the canopy sides and blended everything in with sandpaper to achieve a nicer seam and add some strength.

I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle the cowl with the snotty Cox engine up front. I'll just make it up as I move along.
Last edited by Tee Bee; Jun 21, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:00 AM
Joined Jan 2008
583 Posts
The Cox TD .020 is a powerful engine for it's size. I've added spar webs to the wings for added strength, epoxied a 1/16" firewall to the front for mounting the little glow engine, and decided to make some fillet blocks to blend the tail surfaces nicely. I'm ok with the slight added weight and want this ship to be plenty strong to handle the forces I intend to throw at it.