Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:18 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Discussion
Single aileron operation

I have a foamy custom build F 104 ,

can I loose one aileron servo and aileron

I mean I only just struggle around level flight

Would saving the weight justify the small lack of control , I still have rudder ,

and yes speed cures wing rock , thanks
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:58 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,809 Posts
It can work, it just won't work well. You will still have some large asymmetry in the form of adverse yaw. Add to that the fact that the rudder on the F104 has a strong adverse roll component, and that the F104 has built in anhedral (it's there to compensate the dihedral effect of the T tail). I'd work out a way to drive both ailerons with a single servo instead.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Thanks

for the lesson , , it helps
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:27 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,469 Posts
Some racing planes use a single aileron.... it's usually on the side the plane will be turning towards when racing. Leaves the other wing drag-free.
But with the short span on the -104, both are probably needed.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
it works there was a time some could only afford to have 1 on there plane but it seam pointless now with $3 servos if you worried about weight get some 4g servos then you can have 2 and save 1g
bcredneck is online now Find More Posts by bcredneck
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:40 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,419 Posts
Well, racing planes only turned in one direction so using one aileron could actually become an advantage instead of hindrance.

These days with cheap servos new folks to the hobby forget or never learn that in the "old days" we used one aileron servo all the time and used linkages to run two ailerons from one servo.

But then the new servos can be obtained that are so light that using one with linkages to run two surfaces weighs as much as using two smaller wing mounted servos with short and light connecting rods. So these days it's a tossup for which way to go for light weight and enough power.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,809 Posts
I am not old enough, but I remember reading articles about how the pioneers got two axes to work controlled by a single channel. And the transmitter only had a button

[edit] Like this:
Galloping Ghost Radio Control (2 min 3 sec)
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Last edited by Brandano; Oct 17, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:37 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,469 Posts
Bonner compound escapements had rudder, elevator and motor control on single channel radios, with 3 escapements.
Clever use of a ratcheting speed control wheel on the primary escapement permitted selecting rudder, or elevator, or motor depending on the button pushing.
It did work.
Video of one such..
Vintage Single Channel RC Bonner Cascaded Escapements (2 min 14 sec)
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul