HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:38 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Help!
Looking for new 3D plane

Hey guys, I would like some help deciding on what 3D plane to get.

I guess my first question is; can a 1" thick EPP plane with air foil on the wing make a good 3D plane? And if so, which ones do you recommend?
Also, it has to be under 36". I don't have room for anything bigger.

I was looking at this but on one review the guy said the wing was too small and you could forget a good Harrier.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I have a Crack Turbo Beaver, but i'ts not really what I was looking for.
Maybe a different Twisted Hobbys plane like this.
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...OT-BLUE-04.htm

Maybe something a little cheaper like this.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Last edited by Sky_Captain; Sep 24, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:49 PM
United States, NY, Strykersville
Joined Jun 2014
14 Posts
I would say from a twisted hobby stand point you are right on. They make great planes, I have built and flown several. Really just watch any of the videos that show the planes capabilitys and then the hardest decision is what color.
Good luck with your choice
Superdad99 is online now Find More Posts by Superdad99
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:06 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
If I get another twisted hobbys plane, I will definitley be getting the rest of the gear somewhere cheaper. I spent a bundle on the Crack Turbo Beaver and I'm really not that happy with it.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:51 AM
Joined Jun 2014
150 Posts
YES, is the short answer, an aerofoiled wing generally flies much better than a plane without. It allows greater ability of the plane and an added bargain is it fly's much better in the wind.
As far as i know, there are very few models in the sub 35" class with an aerofoil. HK have just put out one and it is my favorite plane now by far and i own most 39" and under Foamies.
Best 3D Flying School Fun 2 Flight UNCUT (11 min 0 sec)

If size is a real issue for you why not buy a Gee Bee, surprisingly good at 3D and you can make the wings removeable!
3D Wingerons Pitcherons On EPP Plane (3 min 1 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2233569
Harlem is offline Find More Posts by Harlem
Old Sep 25, 2014, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
163 Posts
Sky_Captain, I wasn't fond of my Crack Turbo either so I gave it away. All of my other 6 or 7 Twisted planes have been fantastic however. For me , my favorite is the Inferno. The wing span is a bit larger than the 32" series which makes the plane very floaty and you can fly in slow motion if you care to. After that, the MXS-C is a great choice if you prefer more precision and higher energy stuff. Next would be the Laser which is kind of a blend of the two.

I have been down the road of trying out the cheaper brands, and while the are OK in some cases, none of them can match the Twisted planes. Don't cut corners on choosing the airframe, just go with a Twisted and get the gear elsewhere if you have a tight budget.

As far as shopping elsewhere for the gear, I have had good luck doing this as well. Value Hobby carries a G-Force 2206 motor that has really worked out well for me, at about 1/2 the cost of the 2206 T-motor.

Just my 2 cents.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Sep 25, 2014, 08:00 AM
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
226 Posts
I haven't bought from them, so I can't speak from experience, but you might want to look at fancyfoam.com. They have a line of EPP kits with airfoil wings that start at 32". I think they have about 6 different kits in the 32-34" range that start around $65 without the electric gear. It also looks like the completion gear they offer is pretty reasonably priced, though they don't always have everything you need in stock.
Snardo is online now Find More Posts by Snardo
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:49 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the help. I'm still having a hard time deciding. I guess one factor is, I'm really not looking to be an ace 3D flier. I just want something that can fly in a small area and do tricks. So... that's what led me here.

I do have the HK mini GeeBee already but have yet to work out an issue it has. When I fly level it flies great, when I go inverted it wants to climb out of the inverted flight instantly. I think it's tail heavy. The elevator seems to be trimmed level but I'm not sure.

I'm currently looking at the models on Fancyfoam and may go with them.

Still looking around.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 08:28 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Well, I think I've decided. I do really like the Extra 330 3D Profile EPP 870mm but they don't have it in the US warehouse yet and I'm not paying $40 for shipping. So I will wait till next summer and hope they get it in then.
I will still keep an eye out for good suggestions.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 08:45 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Well, like I said. Keeping an eye out, still looking. Really don't want to wait till next spring or summer. I would like an easy build for the winter and have something to fly in small areas.
Checking out the HK Reaktor 3D EPP 800mm not a bad looking plane and has some good reviews.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 09:13 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Sorry, you know what it's like when you shop.

I just refound one I really like. I saw this one about a year ago and it wasn't in the US warehouse. But now it's even in the East Coast warehouse and I live on the East Coast.
What do you guys think of this plane? Looks sharp. It is 36.5 inches, but I guess I could go that far.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...dProduct=66340
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:19 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Try checking out some of the stuff from ValueHobby, good prices and great service. They have the 38" Skywing SBach in stock for a pretty good price and they are a nice little flyer and very durable. Check out the thread here on RCG.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2014
150 Posts
I thought you said it had to be under 36"?

The Gee Bee is damn good flying plane, you might have your ailerons drooped or your thrusts wrong?

The MX2, very badly designed plane in many aspects, the moment arm is wrong, motor position is wrong, rudder shape is wrong, rudder control horn position is wrong, their is too much fuselage area in front of the wing and getting the cg is also a problem. On top of this it has no structural longerons of any kind and is simply a block of foam which breaks in half on a very light arrival! Despite all this some people say it is a great plane! (scratching my head).
For less money you can get the Extra 330 which has no design faults.
3D Flying Kick Ass Party Time Hardly Cut (4 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Harlem; Sep 27, 2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelig:)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:26 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Harlem, Yes under 36 but I was willing to stretch it to 37.5.
Thanks for the very good info, I didn't realize the MX2 had so many flaws. So.. that's out.
I may have a different GeeBee than your thinking of. I have the one in this pic.

Do you have a link to the Extra 330 your talking about. I searched it on HK and only found planes will full fuses. I hope it's not the one with balsa and monocote. I don't have the tools or material for repairing either one, nor do I plan on investing in it. Been flying for a long time very happily with Foamies and I plan to keep it that way.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
150 Posts
SK, before August and HK released 8 new EPP 3D planes i would have said buy an MX2 and do some mods on it to fly right. But now with the better stock HK have i don't see any point in paying good money and butchering a new kit?!
Hobbyking 3D EPP new releases thread:-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2233569
Note the Extra 870mm comes out at 385g without battery not 460g as HK state!
Ohhhh and for once they got the wingspan correct
P.S. i know postage is a bummer, butttt look at it this way,,, how much would you pay for the same kit (if you could get it) from the other side of U.S. ? I dare say about $80 right?
Do you see my thinking?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:10 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,287 Posts
Thanks for the link,
Actually shipping from the west coast is cheap, way cheaper than the international warehouse. I only order batteries and small stuff from their. So, I'm still looking for stuff in the US.

Oppps, forgot the pic of my GeeBee