HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:00 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
434 Posts
I don't recommend this plane unless the motor and prop combo has been fixed. The RPMs were too high to be safe for the folding prop. Threw a blade last weekend, which tore the motor out through the firewall. I've spent too little time flying for the effort put in.

I've decide to bail on the motor and convert to slope soaring model.
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:04 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
I don't recommend this plane unless the motor and prop combo has been fixed. The RPMs were too high to be safe for the folding prop. Threw a blade last weekend, which tore the motor out through the firewall. I've spent too little time flying for the effort put in.

same issue here Westranm, i went ahead and am replacing the motor mount with a carbon one but am trying to find a prop. the gruapner is almost impossible to find for me so far. anyone have a prop setup that would work?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:13 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
same issue here Westranm, i went ahead and am replacing the motor mount with a carbon one but am trying to find a prop. the gruapner is almost impossible to find for me so far. anyone have a prop setup that would work?
Hey guys.... use the stock prop with this motor:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=

Motor bolts right into the stock firewall - just two bolts will fit, but that's all that's needed.

The motor isn't a screamer, but the amp draw comes right down and prop tip speed is in the safe zone. Provides more than enough power to take it up and glide down - or save you in a slope situation ;-).

Cheers,
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
been thinking about that uberj thanks, my issue however is that i shattered one of my blades and have been thinking of just using a non folding prop. since i still have the stock motor i am looking into a 5" does that sound right? oh and i finally cut a carbon firewall for my speedo hence the prop issue.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
Quote:
been thinking about that uberj thanks, my issue however is that i shattered one of my blades and have been thinking of just using a non folding prop. since i still have the stock motor i am looking into a 5" does that sound right? oh and i finally cut a carbon firewall for my speedo hence the prop issue.
I'd suggest this prop from graupner:

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/7...6/product.aspx

eCalc.ch seems to indicate it'd be a good fit and would almost get you 1:1 thrust to weight ratio with a pretty cool run temp as well.

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ec...h=2.4&blades=2

But, yeah, a 5" prop if you're sticking with the stock motor would be better than the 6" stock folding one.

Cheers,
J
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
uberjay, could you calculate the stock motor with a graupner 5x5 fixed prop?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
Quote:
uberjay, could you calculate the stock motor with a graupner 5x5 fixed prop?
A 5x5 prop on 3S will be an inefficient tip - the air will stall at the tip so any ground/static tests will show reduced thrust. That said, if you toss it and run it up it'll do a pitch speed of ~ 100 mph / 173 km/h. Not really needed for thermalling, but could be fun if you want to try and fold the wings ;-).

Numbers:
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ec...tch=5&blades=2

Note: the above ecalc is a guess - the kv value is around 3000kv based on my experience and a chat I recall with SMM a long time ago - my memory could be bad ;-). Take this all with a grain of salt. Also, remember that I've made a bunch of other assumptions when filling in the ecalc.ch page. Plug in your own setup and see what happens :-).

Cheers,
J
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:56 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,398 Posts
here is my new and improved mount! just waiting for her to dry so i can install the motor. pics of my prop setup coming soon.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:32 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
Looks great!
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:46 AM
I'll Take The Case!!!
Antarctica
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post

I wouldn't really bash the plane because it threw a blade. I had the same thing happen to me but I was holding it in my hand at the time. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. Other than that and once I got the ESC timing set correctly, I really haven't had any problems with this model. I would counter to say that if you are not willing to do some research, possibly some repairs and fly with caution, then this might not be the plane for you. I totally get and understand your point though.

I have been flying this plane more recently but I only use the throttle in pretty short bursts to get up to altitude. This gives me about 8 minutes of flight when I'm on flat land and on the slope I can fly it all day with decent lift. We are pretty selective about who and what types of electrics fly at our slope. Not to say we are the slope nazi's (nobody likes them), but we like our slope and do not want to be banished because of someone else doing stupid things like running screaming hotliners or crashing and starting a fire.

I agree with you, that the prop speed / pitch / RPM is pretty excessive for the size and weight of this plane. I might go the RCTIMER motor route and tone it down a little but I really haven't had to many problems as of late. Keep in mind, that I am pretty much only using the throttle in short ~10 second bursts.

I have been working the CG back and I'm at about 74MM right now. I think I can still go back a couple more MM to get it spot on to how I like a plane to perform. This has me looking for ways of making the front a little lighter so I dont have to add more over all weight to the plane to move the CG back. Have any of you found a different battery to use on this plane? I haven't done to much research on the matter yet.

I also changed out the bolt that holds the tail fin on because the nylon one broke on me. I should probably put a spacer or trimmed down stand off around that bolt inside the tail boom to prevent from over tightening and cracking the fiberglass again. I used medium CA to stiffen up the little cracks I already put in that area.

The more I fly this plane the more I like it. I took quite a bit of time away from this plane but now that I am flying it more, I realized that I kind of missed it. I just ordered a non-powered slope version of the Speedo 1.2M and Im looking forward to getting and flying it. I might do a rudder mod on it, but we will see how it fly's before I start hacking it up.
Harvey Birdman is offline Find More Posts by Harvey Birdman
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:16 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
434 Posts
I was doing short bursts of throttle. I haven't checked the actual RPM but I'm pretty certain the recommended maximum for the prop is exceeded. I had verified balance, too.

Multiple props thrown out of small population of owners tells me the setup is not right. I was an early purchaser of the plane...it originally came with nylon prop but I was told not to fly until I received carbon reinforced prop. It was not enough.
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
80 Posts
Me and a buddy just ordered a few of these, I'm thinking about using a 2 cell or swapping the motor out unless they have revised the model.

I went looking for the size cans they are using and following the links left about different motors and the links are bad/broken. What size can and KV will keep this bird fast? Looks like setting the timing to High has helped at least 1 person, I will make sure its done before I take take it to our field.

We are up past 7000ft at our glider park so we can use the extra power up here.
6172crew is offline Find More Posts by 6172crew
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:50 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
@6172crew I found an rctimer.com motor linked somewhere above (you should be able to find it if you search for my username in the thread).

it's a 2000 kv 24mm motor. Not blistering fast on 3S, but it keeps it's cool and moves the model well.

In fact, I think I have a new one of these motors still sitting in a bag somewhere (if you're interested pm me sometime).

Cheers,
J
Old Sep 26, 2014, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
80 Posts
My kit came in....with a 2s battery, probably wont have the issues everyone else is having. The prop folds back nicely and I dont see any issues. Hope it flys well on the stock 7x4.5 and a 2 cell.
6172crew is offline Find More Posts by 6172crew
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:28 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
You'll have to report back on how the 2S works out for you. I suspect that'll be about the same as me changing the motor from the stock 3000kv to a different one at 2000kv while still running on 3S.

I do hope it's a decent sized 2S? The 3S I was running with was a Thunder Power 850 mAh 65C . So it was pretty sizable to balance out the plane. for a 2S you could probably go to a 1300ísh or maybe more if it fit. TONS of fly time! ;-)

Cheers,
J