SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Wing Progress - Ailerons

1. Added .03" CF rod Leading Edge (not for strength, but to prevent LE dings). Photo 1

2. Built up ailerons and hinged them using full span tissue on bottom . Photo 2 & 3

3. Covered the outer wing panels with tissue, starting with bottom and wrapping around the LE to the top. The top tissue over the aileron supplements the bottom hinge.

Depron Fokker D.VIII Ailerons (1 min 49 sec)

4. Finished wing. Photos 4 & 5

5. Applied weathering with chalk pastels, and airbrushed wing servo leads and the interior of the wing at the ailerons.

6. Mailed the wing to Pete!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Super job on the wing Gene! Looks like it should create a lot of lift too..

What's the weight of the wing Gene?

Thank you Sir

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Got the wing made by Speedy01 (Gene) yesterday it looks great and the aileron push rods work very good. So now I need to add the aileron horns and the wing struts.

Thanks Gene...

I also got the FZ 4 blade prop and spinner for my micro Spitfire I did a few years ago and replaced what I had on it.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
So now I need to add the aileron horns and the wing struts.
I left some extra Teflon tubing sticking out of the wing, so you can remove some of it depending on the horn location - maybe even trim it flush to the wing. Don't nick the bead wire, though....

Quote:
I also got the FZ 4 blade prop and spinner for my micro Spitfire
Man, it even looks even better now! Hope you get to fly it before you take off for Thanksgiving this Friday!

Gene
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,223 Posts
Hey Pete the Spitfire looks great now with the proper prop on it. Gene the wing is a master piece of workmanship. I think with it all put together that like the real one it's going to be a heavy wing load and would fly fast and be very robust in maneuvers. I like to video it when you get her ready to fly. Hopefully the wing will stay on when you do the power dive pull out,just like in the movie we watched awhile back.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
I attached the wing strut CF rods. I used a scaled up Windsock D.VIII drawing to match Speedy01's (Gene's) ROF plans and foam parts.

I made a wing height template and it worked out well. I did some minor damage to Gene's super tissue covering job (I'll fix later). I have not yet glued anything except the CF struts into the fuselage. After the holidays I will glue all in place and do test flights before I finish this bird.

Pete
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
I did some minor damage to Gene's super tissue covering job

Gene K
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Temporarily CA'ed the wing and cowling in place for a test flight. Gun's and other details including LG not glued in place yet. I also just put some Velcro on the bottom of the fuselage for now until I cut out the battery hatch.

At this time she's one of the heaviest micro WWI birds I have at 40 grs WO the battery.

It won't be a problem though for the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox. My last Nieuport -11build was 38 grs and it flys great.

When I mounted the wing for this temporary test flight I did so by eye and in a hurry it's very slightly tilted to starboard but shouldn't be an issue at least for the test flights.

Oh, funny Gene I only have one of my British pilots ready for the test flights

I am going to wait until after Thanksgiving to do so as I've run out of time.

Pete
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Temporarily CA'ed the wing and cowling in place
(repeat after me, "I will start using UHU Por, I will start using UHU Por, I will....")

Quote:
one of the heaviest micro WWI birds I have
In my hurry to get the wing into the mail, I forgot to weigh it. When I do mine, I'll have to compare it to a simple undercambered wing. However, I think the added weight of the full wing is "outweighed" by the character it gives The Razor. Your build looks terrific.

Like I've said before, Pete, you can make anything fly...and fly well!!!

Gene K
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
How do you mount the struts into the wing and fuse? Just a bit of glue or epoxy?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
oddshot,

Pete's on Thanksgiving holiday (and roadtrip), so he likely won't be able to get back to you right away.

Gene K
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Odd,

I try to line everything up and check all angles not so easy with all the struts involved so I keep test fitting, eyeballing and marking locations. I use just a little CA with a kicker that holds all in place quickly. Later if everything is looking good I go over all struts and their connections with white Elemers glue and let it set up before flying. It's light weight dries clear and is pretty strong then I just repaint as needed over it.

Pete
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Thanks.

Also, the Curtis has a bunch of struts and etc between the wings ... I was thinking that getting everything to line up was gonna be a real problem. The height template you used is the answer. I can see that jig is gonna save me a lot of cussin'!
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Pete,

Can you post a video of the rotating engine, please?

Gene K
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
K, when I return.

Pete