Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,258 Posts
Alert
Hobbico Volt Watch 2 shorting issues

Hello All!

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this but since I'm a glider pilot I figured this is a good start.

I've been using the Volt Watch 2 on-board battery monitors for years without any issues. Last year a friend of mine said he lost power to his glider due to a volt watch shorting out and draining his RX battery. I decided to check the 6 I had in use and I found 3 of them that had the potential to short if the wires were moved or bumped in the right, or wrong position depending on how you look at it. I removed the clear shrink wrap and ID plate and then de-soldered the leads. To prevent a possible short I added liquid tape after installing a new set of leads. I also checked the voltage needed to light each LED and added a label to identify the voltage at each one. See photos.

Anyway, I wanted to get the word out to anyone using these monitors and ask that you check yours before this $12 item destroys your $2000 plane.

Happy flying!

Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,689 Posts
Strong work Jim!
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks CB, WD x2, T, DC
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
930 Posts
Sano
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Last edited by seaspb; Apr 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,345 Posts
I never use things like for this exact reason. One more thing to fail. Especially since it is not required for flight in the first place.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:45 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,073 Posts
Jim speaks the truth...I was the one who lost a brand new 4.0 spread tow Xplorer...68 oz...X tail due to this issue. That ship was perfect and setup beautifully. I was pounding the competition with that beauty and its all a pile of carbon shards now.

Voltwatch had little to say on the topic. The product should not be in your ships unless its seriously modified. Just grab it by the leads next to the board and gently squeeze - nothing crazy but ill bet your shorts...now consider contest landings bumps and launches and ask yourself how safe is this product.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
441 Posts
The Hextronics unit, also sold under other names, has a similar problem and has destroyed at least one plane that I know of.
mstone is offline Find More Posts by mstone
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,073 Posts
I have decided that the while convenient to be able to look at blinky green yellow and red lights I cant see it from the air so why does it need to be on the plane? what is really adding vlaue here when I can plug it into the plane between flights and check on the ground if I really need to...so I tore them all out and chucked them in the trash. I typically find that in an hour an enloope pack will discharge about 500-600 Mah out of the available 1950 or so. based ont hat I charge every 1.25 hours and I am well within the window. If I want to get paranoid I can wire up something for an inline check and test it on the gorund. One less point of failure.

The troubling point wiht these products is that the pole locations of these leads could have easily been located further apart and resolved the problem...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
I saw one of those things smoke in a buddies plane (on the ground).
I will never use one, instead, I will plug in (a loaded ESV) between flights. I feel that is a safer option.

Glad you posted this, Jim. Its a good heads up as I know that some people won't fly a plane without one of them in it.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
Yeap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I saw one of those things smoke in a buddies plane (on the ground).
I will never use one, instead, I will plug in (a loaded ESV) between flights. I feel that is a safer option.

Glad you posted this, Jim. Its a good heads up as I know that some people won't fly a plane without one of them in it.

R,
Target
Great thread.
I agree, I have had more than one with suspect wiring. I stopped using them years ago.
Checking with a loaded volt meter is one way of knowing how much juice you have left in the batteries.
I prefer charging between rounds with a lead acid battery as a power source and a good read out charger. This method tells you how much you put back in and a very good way to learn the discharge of your batteries under fire.

Less is sometimes more.
I suppose those on board voltmeters have a place, I just do not favor them.

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:38 AM
Eagles are my nemesis
United States, AK, Kodiak
Joined Aug 2011
163 Posts
You know something, I also find that the plate with the markings which is heat shrunk very tightly to the board is bare aluminum on the underside...about 1 mm above the 2 contacts which are already to close to each other.
The manufacture probably doesn't know aluminum is a very good conductor
Pretty scary!

Chris
slope4evr is offline Find More Posts by slope4evr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rodent R3
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
mostly gliders
SkellefteŚ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
962 Posts
I discovered Volt Magic, not so long ago. Much, much better, with useful features. Check out voltmagic.com

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
That still has the same design with the wires going into the board right next to each other....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
I discovered Volt Magic, not so long ago. Much, much better, with useful features. Check out voltmagic.com

/Ville
I had some of those as well - Target is right same design flaw - grab the leads by the board squeeze and then put your fingers on ice...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Norway
Joined May 2003
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
I had some of those as well - Target is right same design flaw - grab the leads by the board squeeze and then put your fingers on ice...
I donít know, to me the VoltMagic seems much better.
The problem with the one in the first post is that the wires are simply soldered onto the board without any stress relief (or whatever itís called) to avoid movement of the wire at the solder point. Doesnít need many time of moving back and forth before a wire breaks at the solder point.
On the VoltMagic the cable enters at the back of the PCB, looped through a tight slot, before itís soldered onto the front of the PCB. This seems firm enough to avoid any movement of the wires at the breakage point.
Wiker is offline Find More Posts by Wiker
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
mostly gliders
SkellefteŚ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
I use to improve strain relief with contact adhesive.
Our electronic gadgets are not designed for excessive use of force by pushing and squeezing the stuff, but of course they should withstand normal but careful handling.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member