Closed Thread
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
Yes—I have a #3 camera that I might open up and see about getting the mic into my headset...
That could work if you solder the extra mic to the #11 mic pads in parallel if it doesn't upset the input impedance to the audio section in the camera video processor. But I was thinking of putting a splitter on your headset cable, routing one lead to the headset as normal and the other to a small speaker in the plane. The camera has a pretty sensitive mic, and should easily record the sound if you can hear it without the headset on.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
I damaged a #3 mike when soldering some remote contacts onto the nearby push switch for a time lapse project I built. ( My project is here.. http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#TimeLapseRelayMod I did later successfully resoldered another in to replace it. But be careful, they won't take much heat!
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
My first solo flight-Diamond DA-20:

http://vimeo.com/26323329

Great job Tony, congratulations.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:51 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Tony,

Just out of interest why did you have the camera mounted to the underside of your cap, on top of the cap peak would of been better surely?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Tony,

Just out of interest why did you have the camera mounted to the underside of your cap, on top of the cap peak would of been better surely?
Simon,
Tony may have different reasons.. here's why I've mounted it under.. when shooting as I often do.. up towards the sun or close too it, I believe it cuts a lot of glare out of the video.. it also keeps some wind noise down and keeps the camera cooler in the shade, I feel that may save the battery life a little bit over time.. it's also slightly less geeky looking There IS a downside .. as you speak, your voice is amplified way over the level of others that might be around you replying back.. I'm curious to hear Tony's reasons too.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Ok thanks for that, Im a Glider Pilot (Closed Canopy) i'm looking to mount my Camera when it arrives somewhere in the glider, i was going to mount it behind me where the battery for the Vario sits but i don't think the view would be that goodd. So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:46 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looking for #11 Cam

By chance does anyone State side have an extra #11 cam for sale?

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:42 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
I had a #11 purchased from hxelepro360 which worked perfectly but which the computer would not acknowledge. The seller was very helpful. I ultimately had to send it back to China, but got a new, working camera today.

I was disappointed that the camera didn't work, but more than satisfied with the way the seller handled the problem.

And sorry, FCA, but you can't have it.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:53 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Hi guys. After following through this entire thread for one whole month and with a week of Rcgroups registration problem, I finally can make my first post here to thank Tom for his efforts.

I have ordered this #11 cam from Diana this week. In case you guys are unaware of, Tom was mentioning about 50 minutes start and stop with date/time stamp firmware. It is now available from digitalele889. I got Diana to update it for me before mailing the camera out. Since Tom has done the very first trial on this firmware I was wondering whether this 50 minutes start/stop firmware:

1. would it happen to include the exposure correction like those in version 2 firmware?
2. does the recording stop at 50 minutes and restart by itself again? I was thinking whether it would have the same issue of that 4Gb stop and "cannot start" problem.
starhubber is offline Find More Posts by starhubber
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:20 AM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The camera is still powered when the power button is off, at least part of that keeps the real time clock ticking. ... BUT, if I popped out the battery ... then reinstalled it, the camera would regain normal operation. That is still a possibility with your #11 camera, hence the last resort option of disconnecting the battery briefly. One user claimed that restored his "dead" camera, others have not had that success. But worth a try if the button diagnosis doesn't show anything wrong.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find. If the camera is fairly new and has not experienced crash damage, you can probably get it replaced by your vendor.
Nothing seemed to help. The battery is wired to a PCB with two chips on it then the wires connect to the main board. At first, there was no voltage between the black wire's pad and anything else, but there was between the outer [battery] pad and the red wire's pad (and of course the other battery pad). Flipping the PCB revealed the two chips on the other side. Snipping the battery wires and connecting to the outer pads directly did nothing. At some point voltage appeared between the red wire's pad and the black wire's pad, so I did something.

Moving to the switch. The switch has four contacts, and without instructions, it was like a pig looking at a radio. I was trying to guess how to test it, but it appeared to operate consistently.

Verdict: "He's dead Jim".

Not sure I want to ask a vendor to replace it, after I've been mucking about in there tearing things up... (And I'm in the middle of a move, so not sure I want to confuse the issue with a new address either).

Thanks for all the help.

v/r,
C-F

(With business travel and then packing and moving, I have not attempted to keep up with the thread, so if there was something in here aimed at me since the previous post, I have missed it.)
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:22 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
At Last!

I can now view HD video on my 'not quite so ancient now' Win XP PC. I've bought a used 3GHz motherboard and processor and updated the drivers for my Radeon X800 Pro video card and can now play my #11 HD video with VLC player and do basic editing with AVIdemux. I'd say that my PC setup is the bare minimum but it works! I'll be looking for a slightly less basic editor soon! I flew the EZ* this morning and will post some video later for your comments when I've had time to edit it.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:23 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Tom,

With the latest #11 models do you what the approx battery time is? and how much GB would be used?

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:02 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for that, Im a Glider Pilot (Closed Canopy) i'm looking to mount my Camera when it arrives somewhere in the glider, i was going to mount it behind me where the battery for the Vario sits but i don't think the view would be that goodd. So im liking the cap idea, the only problem i have is that in the UK peaked caps are not allowed in gliders becaue they restrict the view, i don't know if this rule applies in the US.
I wish i were a closed canopy glider pilot ..that seems like so much fun.. but with regard to the cam mounting,.. one thing that works pretty well is to make a rectangular EPP foam base about 2 by 3 inches and 3/4th inch thick, that slips over to clip on a left or right temple of your sunglasses frame near the lens.. and velchro the cam to that instead. Inside a canopy it's not likely to blow off ..and will stay pointing where ever you are looking . JimS
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:12 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhubber View Post
Hi guys. After following through this entire thread for one whole month and with a week of Rcgroups registration problem, I finally can make my first post here to thank Tom for his efforts.
2. does the recording stop at 50 minutes and restart by itself again? I was thinking whether it would have the same issue of that 4Gb stop and "cannot start" problem.
Hi StarHubber.. welcome to the wonderland of RGGroups.. I'm not sure where the "50 minutes" variant came from.. but I do have 2 questions.. can you get 50 minutes on your std No 11 cam's battery? .. or do you need to use a Jumbo? .. can you get 50 minutes packed on on a 8GB microSD chip? ( normally it would hold about 40 minutes max I think) and finally why "50" minutes"? .. normally the cams with continuous record firmware will run till the memory runs out, or battery dies, or you stop them ..which ever comes 1st..I believe JimS
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

With the latest #11 models do you what the approx battery time is? and how much GB would be used?

Thanks
Hi Simon.. the latest models with the continuous record firmware are said (by the vendors) to support 100 minute record times and i believe they will need a 16Gb Class 4 or above microSD chip to do this.. but since i just got a replacement Jumbo yesterday I am about to confirm this and listen for the audio beep phenomena at the end too.. will let you know .. JimS
Closed Thread