HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2015, 05:21 AM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
Bought a Blade 450X in the end and like flybarless that much I've decided do the conversion on the 3D with this....

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/st...h=turnigy%203d

Will post results when complete.
Smacko41 is offline Find More Posts by Smacko41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2015, 08:41 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
754 Posts
Nirokyosho on youtube did a pretty good review and posted results after 50 flights here
Turnigy 3-D h v2 flybarless system ,50th flight review (6 min 2 sec)
, and was super happy with it. It said it is the same as the beastX in all ways.

Since I also have the 450 3D, it will be interesting to follow you on your conversion.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Feb 08, 2015, 05:58 AM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
FBL Conversion Complete

OK, completed the FBL conversion this weekend and performed a successful hover in the backyard this morning. Wind is up so test flight will have to wait.
The job was surprisingly painless, in part due to using a Blade flybarless head unit and main blades. Although on first look the flybarless set up tool had me scratching my head as to how it's used. I also have the swash leveling plate and pitch gauge, which made setup very straight forward.
The Turnigy 3d-h v2 / BeastX knock off, for all intensive purposes, installs and operates the way a clone should. Although despite using a spectrum DSMX satellite receiver, I can only get it to bind on DSM2 protocol. But if this is the extent of my problems I think things went pretty well.
The only other quirk is the ass about labeling of the connection ports on the back of the unit. Make sure you use the supplied quick start guide to ensure the correct connections are made. There's some doozies, eg, the satellite plugs into the ELE port, and the ESC into the AIL port. For set up and parameter menus, these are a perfect match to the BeastX and I used the Horizon manual for this, along with page 12 of the Blade 450X operating manual, which contains all the correct settings in a handy table. This is important as it has stuff like servo frequency, centre position pulse length and collective pitch range settings.
I've retained the original 3800Kv motor despite Horizon recommending the 4200Kv one when upgrading to FBL. To compensate I bumped the throttle curve up by about 6% in standard mode to match the 450X head speed, but in idle up it's obviously still at 100%.
The only surprise during the test hover was that everything behaved as it should. Out of the box the tail was rock solid with the gain set to 54% and no oscillation in pitch or roll. Full test flight will be needed to confirm this however.
I'm very happy with the upgrade. At over $250 for a BeastX, this simply wasn't an option for me, and another 450X, now superceded by the updated model retails in Australia for 580 bucks! A good compromise? .... time will tell.

BTW, I have a spare flybarred head and 2 x sets of main blades for a 450 3D if anyone is interested!
Last edited by Smacko41; Feb 08, 2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:25 AM
Joined May 2014
754 Posts
Nice! That looks pretty clean for sure, especially when compared to the original flybar setup (like mine...).

Cool the fbl clone worked well. It has pretty good reviews, except like you pointed out, where to plug things into is a hazard to the unknowing.

I'm still just building confidence on my fb unit. Was feeling pretty good, but 3rd flight into it, had a stall on a turn and took the wind out of my sails.

I will be curious to read about your thoughts with how the fbl version flies compared to the fb original.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 04:55 AM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
Handy video for how to use the swash leveling tool. Makes setup much easier.

Blade Swashplate tool (9 min 31 sec)
Old Feb 09, 2015, 07:43 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
3,825 Posts
I have 2 Blade 450 3Ds. One had a minor blade strike on landing and the other is in great shape. I also have many spare parts. I am curious to see if anyone would be interested in buying them. Please send a PM
Electromagnetic is offline Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Old Feb 14, 2015, 09:28 PM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
Have two full flights on it now, both back to back with my 450X for comparison. In summary, it's much more locked in and crisper than the flybar version, but gentler in response than the up spec'ed brother. Not sure why this is as I set it up exactly the same per the 450X manual. Can only put it down the the lower kV motor. I like the fact that it now holds attitude perfectly in piros and doesn't start toilet bowling when descending vertically through it's down wash. I haven't tried a loop with it yet but don't expect any surprises.
Overall very happy with the conversion.

A final comment.... I've noticed Hobby King only sell the Turnigy 3d-h v2 in Europe and Russia now and appear to have pulled it from Aus, HK and American warehouses. Not sure why but given the similarities with the BeastX I wouldn't be surprised if there are some patent related issues there!
Last edited by Smacko41; Feb 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:13 PM
Joined May 2014
754 Posts
hummm, interesting results. I just flew my 3D version again today, and notice how it tends to slosh around more than my fbl micros, and attributed that to no active control. I am amazed at the winds I can fly a few oz heli in without any problems. Sure it bounces some, but I am always in control. I think given the same scaled wind to weight of the 450, there is no way the fb version could handle that.

Did you leave the servos stock? I don't recall all of your changes.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:23 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Dec 2009
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacko41 View Post
A final comment.... I've noticed Hobby King only sell the Turnigy 3d-h v2 in Europe and Russia now and appear to have pulled it from Aus, HK and American warehouses. Not sure why but given the similarities with the BeastX I wouldn't be surprised if there are some patent related issues there!
I noticed that too, they do have a Tarot unit that looks similar, any opinions on it?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=56085
Yeti1234 is offline Find More Posts by Yeti1234
Old Feb 17, 2015, 06:07 AM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
Blade 450X uses same plastic gear servos all round so left them stock.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:04 PM
Joined May 2014
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacko41 View Post
Blade 450X uses same plastic gear servos all round so left them stock.
So the change over just consists of putting in the fbl head, then a fbl control unit? Wow, that seems pretty cheap and easy, might have to consider that with mine at some point.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:29 AM
Smacko41
Australia
Joined Jun 2013
142 Posts
Not quite.....

Flybar Head Assembly $93
Carbon Fibre Blade Set $64
Turnigy 3D-H-V2 FBL Unit $61
E-Flite Pitch Gauge $16
E-Flight Swash Leveling Tool $21
Spectrum Satellite Receiver $40

Total AU$295

You could do it cheaper with clone components, but I chose to go with E-Flite stuff for simplicity (definitely not cost, that's for sure!)
In retrospect I'm glad, because it "Just Works". Hit the blue lights first time and the thing hovered perfectly "out of the box". I haven't even had to touch the gain settings yet.
To put some perspective on the above, the updated Blade 450X retails in Australia for $580, and the old one, which is no longer available, was a more palatable $350 when being run out as a superceded model. Yes, we seem to get ripped off for everything here just because we're so far from anywhere. Although online shopping is slowly changing that.... I digress,
So overall not a bad compromise / upgrade for what I now use as my "warm up heli".
Last edited by Smacko41; Feb 18, 2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:19 AM
Joined May 2014
754 Posts
ahhhh, I see, just a few extra components. So, needed the head, fbl unit, blades, and the rx. I might some day. I have never built a heli, always just bought bnf or rtf stuff, so the finer details of setting something up pass over me. I did buy one of the Forza units for $150 when they were on sale, with plans on doing a build sometime here. I'm sure there will be lots of learning when I actually am hooking and turning things up and on. Maybe I got in over my head too....
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:55 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,552 Posts
I figured once you have crashed and rebuilt a 450 a few times you have pretty much all the building experence you need
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Plane Storage rack