SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:16 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
316 Posts
Coming from flying heli's, planes seem a whole lot easier to me, but I don't know for sure, because I have limited experience. Sim flying planes is super easy. I flew a friends trainer w/o a buddy box, and landed twice without any mishaps.

I am considering this plane too, but don't know how hard it is to fly. Lots of heli experience, just none to speak of on planes.

Thoughts? Any ex-heli folks out there?

Edit:

OK, flying the sim some more: for me, flying is pretty simple, but landing can be a challenge. I don't crash, but land kind of hard, hard enough that I bet in real I'd loose some landing gear. Airplanes come in seemingly fast, whereas with a heli, you come in and stop, then land. much different....
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Last edited by HeliFlyer14; Aug 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:41 PM
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
208 Posts
I started flying a heli in jan of this year. By the end of feb I was flying a Blade SR.. Without crashing!! I also put a lot of time on the phoenix sim. In march I wanted a plane and didnt want to get a 3ch cause I thought I would get bored with it so I bought the Archer as my first plane. Of course I paid like $129 for it then but It was worth it! I believe that with heli experience this would be a good plane for you. I was told it wouldnt be a good first plane for me but I loved flying it and it taught me a lot! I sold it to a gut that flew heli's and it was his first aileron plane and he flew it good too. It will stall on you so make sure you keep the speed up on turns. When bringing it in for a landing just line it up, cut the throttle, and glide her in. At this price I say get it! Worst case scenario you'll have to glue it back together unlike a helicopter that explodes on impact
Cyclone Steve is online now Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:43 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
208 Posts
Plus I think its good at teaching you throttle control which is imparative when you get into some of the more fun planes/jets
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:55 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,093 Posts
Heli flying especially 3D is harder than scale flying. I think you will be just fine with the Archer. Just like a heli you lose speed when you turn and landings will be a challenge but it's a nice calm bird.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:16 AM
Joined May 2014
316 Posts
just bought one from Amain. They have a $10 coupon good through wed 8/20/14 and free shipping.

man, i feel like a sell out to all my helicopter peers, but i guess you have to go to the dark side at some point in life

what batteries have folks been using? i see some cheap ones for ~$7 on Ebay.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:17 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
just bought one from Amain. They have a $10 coupon good through wed 8/20/14 and free shipping.

man, i feel like a sell out to all my helicopter peers, but i guess you have to go to the dark side at some point in life

what batteries have folks been using? i see some cheap ones for ~$7 on Ebay.
Mine is on its way from AdvantageHobby - they have 'em for sale for $88 with free 2 day UPS ground shipping.
I think for first time customers they will take off another 5% with "6MG9D9" in the reference code.

Also, please do share those ebay links
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2014
316 Posts
Here is an example for the battery http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SHIP-Lipo...item1e8ec77d39

I'm not familiar with the brand, but meets the "box specs" of what is needed.

I just searched using "2s 1300 mah lipo ec2". The EC2 is for the connector type.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:11 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,510 Posts
I'm pretty solid into helis mostly Micros. Recently last six months into bigger 250 FBL c/p;s . Last month bought new FBL V450D01 V2 heli. anyway I flew fix wing along time ago and wanted a few Parkflyes to go along with bigger helis.
I bought micro Spitefire and Mig-15. Now just pulled trigger on Archer bnf.
I almost bought it when it was $129.95/ but they sold out. Yesterday went to local h/S but they were out. Anyway deed is done/ plus bought several 150ma 45C for my Nano CP-X's.
Code would not work for me, but what I saved on extra Batteries for my Nano all is well. LH?S gets $6.49 for each 150ma 45c. . I bought a bunch for $4.99. Not cheap but I get mega flights from them. Plus they wotk great in my ASK-21.'s
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:11 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,510 Posts
What I like about HH you order/ same day item ships. Some vendors even USA sit on order for several days.
Got notice bird should be here friday. Fly it this weekend .
Last edited by dankar04; Aug 21, 2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: updated
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:45 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,510 Posts
Archer Has ARRIVED !

Ordered Wensday got it this morning. Put a little charge to battery to test.
My DX5e now has another bird to use . I had to revese Alierons but it works fine. Battery is now charging. I need to add more velco for battery . Hardcore heliman but like other flying birds to. Anyway HH does it agin, another flying model.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined May 2014
316 Posts
Yeah!!! I got mine today! Wow, that box seems big. Can't wait till I can fly this one.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:07 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,391 Posts
thanks for the heads up, just ordered mine
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:15 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,093 Posts
It's a great little plane, can easily get 10 min flights on a single lipo...I think all you need is two and you are set! Really nice little bird! Only small issue was that I had to reglue the plastic latch to the canopy. Debating about getting a spare...
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:25 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom View Post
It's a great little plane, can easily get 10 min flights on a single lipo...I think all you need is two and you are set! Really nice little bird! Only small issue was that I had to reglue the plastic latch to the canopy. Debating about getting a spare...
good info. I now need to order a handful of 1500mah 2s's from Hobby King
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:08 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
208 Posts
I used to fly mine for close to 15min! It would just fly forever. 3 batt will get you close to 45min of flight.