HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:24 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Discussion
What planes are winning IMAC?

I looked at 2012 results for various events, but only the pilot is listed. It does not say what plane is being flown. I was curious if the Fliton AJ Extra 330 or any 3DHS or Extreme Flight planes were competitive, or if as in F3A the planes are highly specialized and expensive.
Also, what size planes are the winners flying?
Thanks
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
501 Posts
Jim, IMAC does not fall victim to the " Airplane of the month " syndrome that F3A or AMA pattern does. As long as it is set up well and you have lots of productive practice with most airplanes you will be competitive. I don't have the time to practice as much as I like to but tend to manage well flying unlimited with a 25 year old design.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:12 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,510 Posts
Don't forget that in IMAC Basic, anything goes. In Sportsman and up the airplane must be a scale model of an actual aerobatic airplane.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:28 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
Jim, IMAC does not fall victim to the " Airplane of the month " syndrome that F3A or AMA pattern does. As long as it is set up well and you have lots of productive practice with most airplanes you will be competitive. I don't have the time to practice as much as I like to but tend to manage well flying unlimited with a 25 year old design.
What's the wingspan on that? Looks huge. Do most IMAC competitors use large planes?

Is there a more active forum for IMACers that doesn't require membership (the IMAC site has forums but I can't post there).

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
881 Posts
Anything under 86" is consider a toy in IMAC...and if your not flying a Carden you will be asked to kindly move your toy airplane out of the way so the upper classmen with their Cardens get a good spot on the flight line.

I still participate, I enjoy competeing against myself.

I choose the wrong profession if I think I will be flying in any upper classes.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Anything under 86" is consider a toy in IMAC...and if your not flying a Carden you will be asked to kindly move your toy airplane out of the way so the upper classmen with their Cardens get a good spot on the flight line.

I still participate, I enjoy competeing against myself.

I choose the wrong profession if I think I will be flying in any upper classes.
This has not been my experience at all.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:42 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
This has not been my experience at all.
Why doesn't somebody create an aerobatics class or organization where you can compete with your $300 plane against other $300 planes?

If basic allows anything, it's really not a competition.

We need an aerobatics competition that is fair and regulated but affordable, that has plane parameters that will keep things even and competitive, so that people who want to be serious without spending thousands can do so. There should be gas and electric classes. Maybe pattern and IMAC-like classes. Could use the same rules and flight patterns as current pattern and IMAC, just retooled for this new affordable but competitive class.

Am I nuts? And what type of nut am I? I kinda like Brazil nuts....

OK this is my manifesto for revolution and I'm going to start a new thread with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Why doesn't somebody create an aerobatics class or organization where you can compete with your $300 plane against other $300 planes?

If basic allows anything, it's really not a competition.
I don't agree with that either. It comes down to how well you can fly your airplane, not whether it's the same as the next guy's.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
I also agree! it should be about how well you fly, not how fat your wallet is!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
I don't agree with that either. It comes down to how well you can fly your airplane, not whether it's the same as the next guy's.
Yeah, but if one guy is flying a $10,000 IMAC plane in Basic, and I am flying a Hangar 9 Alpha trainer, it's going to be a little hard to judge. Just making an extreme example to make the point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Sep 2004
68 Posts
This video seems fitting....

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8273610/money-for-imac
cbk07 is online now Find More Posts by cbk07
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk07 View Post
Unfortunately, is a LOT of truth in this video but, you don't have to go crazy just to get started in IMAC.
To answer your question, the planes that win the most, are the ones that have spent the most time in the air practicing.
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:36 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx32tt View Post
Unfortunately, is a LOT of truth in this video but, you don't have to go crazy just to get started in IMAC.
To answer your question, the planes that win the most, are the ones that have spent the most time in the air practicing.
Well, that doesn't really get to the point. I doubt any of them are GWS slow sticks.

Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:03 AM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
180 Posts
Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.[/QUOTE]

You can be very competetive in novice with anything you currently fly if it is aerobatic. There are expenses involved like anything else in life. Go to a local event and talk to a few of the pilots. Not everyone flys the latest & greatest stuff.
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:35 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.
Your call. IMHO if you can afford to fly, you can afford to fly IMAC.