Question
1s BL setup for ar6400?

I would like to do a BL motor upgrade to my corsair using these components

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_3_1g_.html

Help????

Cheers Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Last edited by fOaMmaSh87; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,659 Posts
Heeeeelllllllppppppppp me
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Jul 2006
710 Posts
I think the 3g motor make less thrust than the stock brushed motor and you need at least a 5g motor.
There some data in the big sukhoi thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
A 1S Brushless conversion is more like a "downgrade". Note that the 60g of thrust for the motor you chose is with a tiny 3" prop and "7.4 Volts"... not that you should believe the thrust rating from HK, anyway.

You'll get less thrust per amp/hour and its a lot more complicated/problem prone than geared brushed. It's not really worth the effort unless you have a lot of Brushless motor experience, because you are just buying yourself problems with limited benefits (It's sounds cool is the only + that pops to mind)

In theory, a brushless motor will last longer than a geared brushed, but in reality, the direct drive nature exposes it to a lot more damaging impact force than a geared motor... and those tiny wires aren't what you'd call robust.

A 2S Brushless conversion, however, yields 2X the thrust (for only about 10g more total weight and a couple $ more total cost vs a 1S conversion), so you actually get a huge benefit for your effort. On the downside, you also get a heavier plane that is more likely to tear off its wings, which in the case of the corsair, can happen often.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
This is one of the best and easiest 1-cell setups I've seen. He has everything you need motor, esc(no soldering), batteries, props and prop adapters. You'll have to figure out how to mount the motor and batteries, no easy task for some so are you sure you want to go brushless?
TODD
http://microaces.com/products.php?pg=1&spg=1#bottom
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:13 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
I've tried many of the Hobby King micro brushless motors and have been disappointed by all of them on a single cell. Even the motors that will fly an airplane on one cell draw so much current that they require a relatively "gigantic" battery.

I also suspect that the micro ESCs use poor quality FETs and further hurt the performance. I've obtained a supply of quality FETs to piggy back or replace the stock FETs. All I need is the time to get to it.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
1S draws way more than the stock gearbox. tho you can save weight, at the expense of amp draw and thust. i hear the ap-05 or the3 3700kv motor gets close to stock thrust.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,704 Posts
Hi Ben,
Not sure what you are trying to do. I used the UM 4-Site gear on 3D kits with success. When I wanted more performance, I tried 1s brushless. No love. Less thrust that the geared brushed motor.
Then I read about Dan's 2s brushless conversion. MUCH more thrust. Hovers the whole way through the battery pack.
$48 for the motor, motor mount, prop, battery (with charging jack) and a pre-wired ESC with a diode to use with your ar6400.
Many of my flying mates have also converted.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=52819
Vince Herman is online now Find More Posts by Vince Herman