HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2003, 01:39 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
NSP Jolly - anyone flying / building?

I just ordered a Jolly Deluse from Northeast Sail. Made by the same folks who make the Ellipsiod, it looks a lot like a smaller (82" v. 110") Ellipsiod.

Thinking of going with the AXI 2820/10 power system NSP sells.

Anyone out there have suggestions / comments?

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2003, 02:33 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
609 Posts
Hi Matt,

My experience is that the AXI is a GREAT motor for sport flying with 7 X CP1300s in a Thermal duration sailplane airframe up to 50oz. I have found that at my altitude of one mile asl a 16X10 prop works best pulling about 40 amps. This motor and a good 40 amp controller offers a lot of performance for not much money.

A Hacker B40L 6- 8 winds, or the Kontronics equivalent with a 70 amp controller and CP1700s works best for competition. Costs quite a bit more too.

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Jun 17, 2003, 02:39 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
I do not anticipate doing any competition flying, just leasurely gliding about looking for lift and relaxation.

Matt
Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:09 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
609 Posts
Matt,

I think your choice is a good one then. The AXI really is a great motor. Probably any prop from a 12X8 to a 14X9.5 would work well for you at your altitude. I wouldn't bother with zapped batteries with that setup. I would also go with the aileron version. Spoilerons help a bit while landing. Keep it as light as possible.

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Jun 17, 2003, 04:27 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
NSP has the aileron version on sale for 149.95 (weekly specials page).

I got the aileron version, and plan to use HS-55s (or maybe 81's, haven't decided yet)

Matt
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:22 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Matt
I have the three channel version with the AXI 2820/10 motor which I fly on 8 cp1700 or 8 cp1300. It is a fine sailplane for the money. I got mine at the WRAM Show before the aileron version was available. I was going to talk to Sal about getting the aileron wing but after flying it for a while I decided it really didn't need any more. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned with such a small rudder. A run-up to altitude usually takes less that 10 seconds and I get 18 to 20 minutes a flight with power to spare. Everybody wants a bit of stick time when I bring it out as it is real easy to fly. Absolutly NO bad habits but it has a very flat glide so spoilers would help if your runway is on the short side. One more note--I even used standard size servos and a HiTec 555 receiver. You will like this plane.

BM

P.S.: Although it is not called out in the plan or I should say instructions (that I could see at any rate) I use a strip of tape on the wing/fuselage joint just for my own peace of mind.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:42 AM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
How did the build go? Is it involved at all, or pretty much plug and play?

Matt
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:50 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Matt
There isnt too much building involved in the 3 channel version. Mount the firewall/motor mount and the battery and servo tray and you're just about done. You need to install the control snakes and control horns and hinge the rudder. Rather than trying to adjust the mounting area for mini servos I just used a couple of standard servos. The drawings give you a pretty good idea of where everthing goes. My bird balanced right on with the equipment placed as per drawing.

The Delux version will take a bit more because of the aileron servos and such but still isn't overwhelming.

I think my next plane may well be the Rapid. A big brother to the Joly it is a 6 servo set-up and about 90'' WS. Until then I'm enjoying my Joly.

BM
Old Jun 19, 2003, 01:21 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillM
I think my next plane may well be the Rapid. A big brother to the Joly it is a 6 servo set-up and about 90'' WS.
I have a Rapid but it's not a 6 servo plane. Contrary to the NSP description (now changed) this plane does not have flaps.

It's still a beautiful plane, although I was VERY disappointed when it arrived to find it didn't have flaps as stated on the NSP web page.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Jun 19, 2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Ric
You just saved me the cost of two servos.

BM
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Ric, You just saved me the cost of two servos.
Bill, I hope I didn't talk you out of the plane.
It is a beautifully built plane. I have two Riechard built planes (I also have the Mefisto) and the quality is outstanding. I wish I could build them that well. The covering jobs are impeccable.

It's strange about the description, because Esprit sells it also and they advertise it as having flaps.
I wish it did - that's specifically why I bought it. It's so nice I couldn't send it back, though.

BTW, I may have only saved you 1 servo. It has a single central spoiler that can be utilized easily by just cutting it free.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Jun 20, 2003 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 05:01 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Jolly Deluxe showed up today, all snug and safe in a very sturdy cardboard box with a huge amount of shreaded paper and buble wrap.

This is a really well built ARF. The wings are straight and very nicely finished, with tight covering and the seams aligned and well secured.

Not much of a build. Just mount the bulkheads, pop in the radio and motor systems and go fly. All control surfaces are hunged out of the box (rudder with nylon hinges, elevator and ailerons with tape.

Gonna be pretty when it is done......

Matt
Old Jun 20, 2003, 09:21 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Only one flaw with the kit so far - no English instructions. There are good diagrams, and having built a kit or two I do not think it is going to br a problem.

Matt
Old Jun 21, 2003, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Matt
I'm sorry that I forgot to mention the fact that the instructions were in Slovak. The diagrams are very well done and you won't have any problems,i"m sure.

Ric
No problem. I love the shape of that whole family of sailplanes. The sight of those elegantly shaped wings against the sky is hard to describe except to say it's beautifully graceful. BTW I also have a Mefisto. Mine is the yellow version and will be powered by a Mega 22/20/3 on 8 CP1700 or CP1300 cells. I'm missing the receiver but I have one on order from my LHS. Should be here next week.

BM
Old Jun 26, 2003, 01:48 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Got the chance to maiden the bird today - brilliant!

The AXI power system climbs the thing at 45 degrees plus, and is really quiet. It flies very nicely. No bad habits, very docile.

Got a bit of lift today, but the air aloft was very disturbed.

The spoilerons worked great. I noticed very little pitch response to the spoilerons coming up, but it definately steepens the glide path. Good thing, too, because this thing does not want to land.

Matt