New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by floquet
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
590 Posts
The "yellow thing" in the build photos is a sheet of fibreglass that pads the thickness of the horn. It's typically CA'd to the top of the horn before the whole lot is glued inside the flaperon. (I'm not sure why the slot in the flaperon is wider than the horn - maybe a fabrication/tooling issue or to minimize the thickness of foam between the horn and the skins.) Anyway the sheet is not flexible...

It's quite possible that the horn itself is breaking up. There have been a few reports of this, though it is very uncommon (maybe there was some prior damage/hard landing). Replacement is the only real option in that case. The best approach is to get/buy a new horn and remove the old one using a heated knife blade. If you search back in this thread you'll find such a repair documented, and I have seen it done without it making a visually appalling mess (in fact it was hard to tell).

Hugh
floquet is online now Find More Posts by floquet
Last edited by floquet; Aug 26, 2015 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,148 Posts
I had one that the glue came loose from the skin causing a flutter. I just wicked in some medium CA and pinched the area until it cured. Problem solved.

I also had a friend that had one horn break at the bend. This is a plane that I owned and smacked pretty hard into a tree. He repaired the wing but it's possible that the horn got damaged in that incident and nobody noticed until it let go in a hard launch.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Blaster
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
168 Posts
Control Horns

We have spare control horns in stock if needed.

Barry
Blaster is online now Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Yesterday, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by mikeff
Joined Mar 2008
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_HLG View Post
Ok, I'm getting flutter I my left aileron... Upon closer inspection, the torque horn is flexing inside the aileron. If I hold the aileron against the fixed TE, the horn will move maybe 1/8 inch fore and aft.
RED
I think the horn is failing like the one pictured below.

We had this on a friend's Snipe with aileron flutter. We tried putting thin CA into the failed fibres but it didn't last more than a couple of launches.

I broke my horns (one pictured) in a heavy nose to ground impact that shortened the front end by 40 mm!
With care and patience and perhaps a hot knife blade, you can get the horns out without too much further damage - see pictures. My wing is now ready for the reinforcement to go back over the support axles. See third picture.

Good luck!
mikeff is offline Find More Posts by mikeff
Last edited by mikeff; Yesterday at 05:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by samc99us
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
4,056 Posts
I think if you wicked laminating resin into that horn you would have a good chance at a solid repair. CA can be very brittle.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
9,148 Posts
I think wicking anything into the broken fibers of that horn is a Band-Aid fix at best.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz