Find More Posts by izak
Air-Born
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
Odometer - Hours - Timer

Hello,
I am looking for a simple hour meter that would work somewhat like an odometer that I can put on my gasser. For our electrics we just use a count down timer on the radio and when done flying, we call that 1 flight and of course over time we have a number of flights that we have flown. However, since the gasser has a longer flying time, I want to install a simple lightweight LCD timer on board that will run when the switch is on. It would work similar to an hour meter on a farm tractor or other industrial equipment.
Does anyone have an idea where I can get such a timer?
Thanks, Paul
izak is offline Find More Posts by izak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,027 Posts
Does it have to be in the airplane? What about using the integrated timer that's in the DX8 and DX18?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by heliphil
Brentwood
Joined May 2005
133 Posts
go to the picaxe forum - you will get some ideas there
heliphil is offline Find More Posts by heliphil
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by izak
Air-Born
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Thanks Phil, I will take a look at it.

Andy, can you give me more details?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by KKUSA
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
izak, an Arduino Pro Mini, and an 8x2 LCD would be ideal for this, since its probably a one-off.

If you are using CDI ignitions on your gassers, you can "Y" the hall sensor, and write a program to start a timer when it senses the hall signal, and stop once the signal has stopped for a period of time, write that to EEPROM, and voila!!! 8x2 lcd's are pretty small. The whole thing would only be slightly larger than a 9V battery.

Where are you in Indy? I'm in N.E. indy.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by jakestew
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
1,223 Posts
I'm planning to add one to our DIY CDI project at some point.

I figure that adding an hour meter will be pretty handy for helping with service intervals. I'll probably also write in a method to do run time/RPM standardization, e.g. an hours @ X RPM type figure.

It's also easy enough to just have a single LED flash out the hour count for a few minutes each time after the engine stops. I'm not a fan of the picaxe, but if it seems easier to you then I guess it's worth the price markup and limited programming language.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by izak
Air-Born
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
izak, an Arduino Pro Mini, and an 8x2 LCD would be ideal for this, since its probably a one-off.

If you are using CDI ignitions on your gassers, you can "Y" the hall sensor, and write a program to start a timer when it senses the hall signal, and stop once the signal has stopped for a period of time, write that to EEPROM, and voila!!! 8x2 lcd's are pretty small. The whole thing would only be slightly larger than a 9V battery.

Where are you in Indy? I'm in N.E. indy.
Thanks KK. It is a one-off.

We live on the north side of Mooresville.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by KKUSA
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by izak View Post
Thanks KK. It is a one-off.

We live on the north side of Mooresville.
Cool, I have some RC buddies in Mooresville. Jay Hurst, Kerry Muncy and a few others. You know them?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by tune by tito
Inventor&Genius Extraordinary
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined May 2006
505 Posts
This will be my choice after looking Microchip, St micro, TI, Atmel, Silicon Labs, etc... Avr Butterfly can do the job very easily of a Odometer - Hours - Timer plus control you CDI at the same time. All micro-controller manufacturer made MCU with Segment LCD controller, however the problem is not the MCU but the LCD Display which come in limited form of numbers only or alphanumeric which can display letter more easy, the price of a Segment LCD is very economical compare to a Graphic display costing much more, Segment Display are ordered in the thousands or ten of thousand which make it economical for the developer.

Atmel AVR Butterfly ------ ATAVRBFLY-ND $21.25 from Digikey
tune by tito is offline Find More Posts by tune by tito
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,752 Posts
Would something like this work?
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70115463

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by jeffs555
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
The Dollar Tree sells a 5 digit pedometer that could probably be modified to work. It just has a pendulum switch to count the steps and that could be removed. Then just feed it with a pulse every six minutes to get a 1/10th hour meter.

PS If your motor is spark and not glow, you can get a cheap hour meter off ebay for ATVs etc, that is powered by the spark. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-F...ca541d&vxp=mtr
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by KKUSA
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
The Dollar Tree sells a 5 digit pedometer that could probably be modified to work. It just has a pendulum switch to count the steps and that could be removed. Then just feed it with a pulse every six minutes to get a 1/10th hour meter.

PS If your motor is spark and not glow, you can get a cheap hour meter off ebay for ATVs etc, that is powered by the spark. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-F...ca541d&vxp=mtr
For the pedometer, you still need some electronics to interface to it, so not very economical, or flexible.

Those spark meters will not work on most RC engines. They use an inductive pickup that wraps around the plug wire. Most gas RC engines have a very well shielded plug wire that will inhibit the sensor from working.