HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2015, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Discussion
kbar gold gyro mount query

Hi

Hopefully a basic query for you guys

Building a tarot 450 and bought the kbar gold gyro with the remote sensor.

How am i supposed to mount this to the heli? Does the main unit go on the gyro mount as per the instructions? If so, where do people put the remote sensor unit?

Appreciate any help

Regards

Adam
Little Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Little Jerry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:54 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,281 Posts
Sensor on the gyro mount

Put the sensor on the gyro mount - it has to be mounted horizontally, with the lead going to the front or to the rear, and just find another spot for the main unit, either squeezed between the frames or mounted on the outside.

The "full size" Kbar (i.e. separate sensor and gyro) is great on larger helis, and has the advantage that there's less vibration transmitted thru the single lead than there is thru the multiple leads to the "mini" Kbar, but the install can be a bit tight on a 450.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:36 AM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Thanks mate

Is there a website that has some info on how to wire this up? There is a aux and colle/esc connection on the kbar that i have no clue what they are supposed to connect to.

I have esc connected to throttle channel on receiver. Then aileron , elevator and rudder connected to kbar from the receiver. Then servos connected to kbar.

Does that sound right?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:09 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
5,019 Posts
See the fu bar thread in this forum for more info and help about the yellow/gold k bars.

One word of advise. Make sure you connect the sensor lead to the correct port on the main unit as connecting it to one of the other ports, especially the one beside it, will destroy the sensor module.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
See the fu bar thread in this forum for more info and help about the yellow/gold k bars.

One word of advise. Make sure you connect the sensor lead to the correct port on the main unit as connecting it to one of the other ports, especially the one beside it, will destroy the sensor module.
This. Also make sure it's not in backwards (not sure if that would damage it but best to not find out) Also don't plug the RPM sensor in backwards or it will burn the sensor. Furthermore if your ESC has an RPM sensor lead make sure to separate the signal line from the positive and negative lines (put the signal pin in it's own housing). NEVER plug a BEC into the RPM sensor port.

The 4 pin port next to the sensor port is 8v and the sensor is 3.3v and it is very easy to accidentally plug it into the wrong one. My advice is to put a dummy plug in that port. Also don't put excessive pressure on the sensor case when sticking it down or removing it or the case can develop splits in the plastic around the screw holes (they should have used something more flexible instead of the brittle polycarbonate that they used)

The full sized unit is really meant for 600 size helicopters and larger not small helicopters like a 450. It'll be a tight fit on an airframe that small.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 20, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:42 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jerry View Post
Thanks mate

Is there a website that has some info on how to wire this up? There is a aux and colle/esc connection on the kbar that i have no clue what they are supposed to connect to.

I have esc connected to throttle channel on receiver. Then aileron , elevator and rudder connected to kbar from the receiver. Then servos connected to kbar.

Does that sound right?
It depends on if you are using a standard reciever hookup or single line.

Aux is used as the single line input for PPM and Sbus, in that case the ESC lead is connected to either Channel 4 or Collective/ESC or Servo (no BEC). With gov enabled, you can choose which one it is in the gov setup but with the gov disabled you can only use Collective/ESC for the throttle.

If you are using a standard reciever then the throttle channel from the receiver goes into AUX and you can use either Channel 4 or Servo (no BEC) for the throttle lead. In this case Collective/ESC is connected to the collective pitch channel from the receiver. Or if you're not going to use the governor you can just bypass the FBL unit and connect the ESC directly to the receiver.

NEVER connect a BEC to Servo (no BEC) or it will damage the unit.

Is this all confusing? Yes, yes it is.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Appreciate the reply, havent fully digested it yet...but...

this is the first time I have heard of a BEC. Is this a required part?

I have a battery, ESC, Gyro and receiver and servos and I thought I had it all.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jerry View Post
Appreciate the reply, havent fully digested it yet...but...

this is the first time I have heard of a BEC. Is this a required part?

I have a battery, ESC, Gyro and receiver and servos and I thought I had it all.
BEC is the power wires (red and black) on the throttle lead (if your ESC has a built in BEC, some don't). You need to be aware of this because if you put power into the wrong port on the Vbar you will destroy it. Make VERY sure you have it hooked up right before you power it up.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
Thanks mate, my ESC (Hobbywing 50A) has a built in ESC according to the specs.