HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:15 AM
Traranisaurus TX
United States, GA, Cartersville
Joined Jan 2014
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyp94 View Post
I was just using a lipo cell checker/low voltage alarm sensor. I'll measure it again when I get home. However there was no puffing and the lipo has not swelled in any way. Is there a way to discharge the 6.0v cell only? Then I'll need to charge the low 1.52v cell individually as well before I can just recharge that lipo normally.

Does anyone know of a good place for instructions on repairing the lipo? If it will be very difficult I may just discharge it and dispose of it. Thanks for the help everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
You DO NOT have a cell at 6V - A cell that high would be on fire.

Your measuring device and/or battery balance lead connector has dirty contacts.
I would get a meter that is specifically designed to measure the voltage in each cell. (like this one.) These meters are inexpensive, and work well. You simply plug the balance connector into the meter, and the meter tells you the voltage in each cell, the total voltage, the voltage difference between the lowest and highest cell, etc. The meter can also be used to LiPo, NiCd, LiFe, or NiMh batteries for receivers.

Just make sure you read the directions to ensure that you are correctly interpreting the number that is displayed on the screen. You also have to make sure you have the correct battery type selected.
N410DC is offline Find More Posts by N410DC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2013
62 Posts
Not all lithium fires are real! (luckily!)

https://jumpjack.wordpress.com/2015/...tio-terminato/

This is my self-made 15Ah/60V Headway LiFePO4 battery for my Electric Scooter.
A devastating thermal runway destroyed one cell and its neighbour; electrolite and something else leaked out of the cell, surrounding plastic melted... but no fire started!

The cause is unknown.

This is why cars mount LiFePO4 (or other chemistries) rather than LiPo!
jumpjack is offline Find More Posts by jumpjack
Old Mar 25, 2015, 02:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Pennant Hills
Joined Oct 2014
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpjack View Post
Not all lithium fires are real! (luckily!)

https://jumpjack.wordpress.com/2015/...tio-terminato/

This is my self-made 15Ah/60V Headway LiFePO4 battery for my Electric Scooter.
A devastating thermal runway destroyed one cell and its neighbour; electrolite and something else leaked out of the cell, surrounding plastic melted... but no fire started!

The cause is unknown.

This is why cars mount LiFePO4 (or other chemistries) rather than LiPo!
Actually I think they use them over Lipo because the energy density is much better, just discharge is slower, but if you have lots of 24v 'cells' then discharge rate doesn't need to be huge.
freemanhimself is offline Find More Posts by freemanhimself
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:52 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanhimself View Post
Actually I think they use them over Lipo because the energy density is much better, just discharge is slower, but if you have lots of 24v 'cells' then discharge rate doesn't need to be huge.
By "energy density" I always think of energy compared with battery weight. On that basis, my A123s have about 50% worse energy density than my LiPos
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:06 AM
Joined Apr 2013
62 Posts
LiFePO4 energy density is lower than 100 Wh/kg: they're used because they're safe, not because they allow longer range.
jumpjack is offline Find More Posts by jumpjack