HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:21 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
Discussion
JW UL 25oz!!!

I built a super light JW UL that came in at 25 oz. JW's are available at http://www.jwglider.com.

**Build log here**

I flew it today in 12mph wind at Kanan hill in Oak Park. The wind was similar to a typical summer day: some lift but decent DS.

The JW absolutely spanked in the conditions! On the front it is super aerobatic, doing tight loops and racing turns and fast and all the good stuff. On the back, it accelerated faster than I have seen a JW do in light wind. I was worried at first that the light weight would prevent it from penetrating enough to come out of the back, but it turns out that Joe Wurts' airfoil is so perfect that the plane just simply kicks ass.

I took a video while flying. I am horrid at filming while flying to so please excuse both the camera work and the flying style:

JW UL in 12MPH (2 min 56 sec)
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:07 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,986 Posts
I am amazed that this post doesn't have any responses yet...

I really love flying light JWs, and never really warmed up to the planes that are built for the very strong conditions. Give me 10-15 mph, a high and clean shear, a light JW, and my fun meter is at 11.

The high speed stuff is interesting in an adrenalin junkie kinda way. For me, the real enjoyment is with DS acro instead of just doing orbits to try and eke out that last bit of speed. DS acro is best done with something like a light JW where you can really mix things up.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:30 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,868 Posts
I'm just getting ready to build my UL. I'm not sure I'll get it down to 25oz but I'll try to keep it light.
My "lightweight" right now is 56oz. It'll fly in 10+ at Weldon and is a blast to fly. I fly it pretty much every time I go.
The problem is when the wind gets above 20mph it just isn't as fun as my heavier ones:
It doesn't carry momentum and it doesn't "whump".
I've wound it up to 170 so speed isn't the issue.
Same with my combat wings, I prefer a 30-40oz for DS acro.
Maybe it's the hill.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
It is the hill. Weldon is a special thing. It gets windy and the shear is elongated. Places like Parker are better suited to the super light planes, as are most local small hills. My 50oz JW flies in 15mph+ at my local hill but is not nearly as maneuverable as the 25oz dub is in 10 mph. The lighter plane opens up an entire new book of tricks.

Keep your UL light and watch your local hills become awesome acro hills!

Yesterday at Weldon the wind was solid in the 30-40mph range. My light JW stayed on the ground and I flew the 50 oz and 70 oz JWs. The 70 oz was exponentially faster but the 50 oz could do some crazy tight turns and maneuvers. I like them all and I love high wind but having a super light JW will allow me to fly in my local junky wind and have just as much fun if not more.

I just got done flying with Spencer at Piuma in the rain. The wind was probably 10mph and the lift was marginal despite the 1500 feet of frontside. A 56 oz JW would not fly in these conditions. The 25oz dub, on the other hand, had no problem staying aloft and I even managed to squeeze out a few laps on the flat top of the area we were standing. I have no other plane in my fleet that could fly today, the light JW saved the day!
Last edited by Aerogance; Feb 22, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:48 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,908 Posts
Aaron, you need to get a UL jw to Joe.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2015, 09:03 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,868 Posts
Aaron and I will hand deliver.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:32 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,908 Posts
Please do! Would love you guys to visit NZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:02 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Paraparaumu
Joined May 2007
192 Posts
Interesting comment Aaron, I built my JW light and flew it at a hill in Thousand Oaks, but mainly at Parker, and I had no probs DSing it Here in Wellington however many years later, still same JW, it is way too light, just can't get it going. It's due for a rebuild now - much heavier
Bazzie is online now Find More Posts by Bazzie
Old Feb 23, 2015, 02:26 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
Bazzie,
They need to be clean when light to get going fast. I used colored packing tape on mine, and while it gets dogeared easily it is also easy to clean up again with scissors and tape patches.
Aaron
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
Flew the UL again at my local hill. Wind was 18 mph with gusts to 24. The 25oz JW was absolutely ripping the acro!! I would not change a thing on this plane. The weight allows it to fly in our tight groove and it accelerates like a Kinetic. I pounded it in to a bush and nothin happened because it is so light. Super fun!!!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
Forgot to add: the key to a light JW is fast servos. The plane is so responsive at the low weight that you really need fast servos to get the most out of it. I am using 82 mg's on 6.0 volt which are rated at 0.10 speed. This would be the slowest I would recommend. If you can get some lightweight cyclic servos with at least 35oz of torque and speed <0.08 that would be the best.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,711 Posts
I agree with Joe W. While I was never a great DS'er, I was good enough to have a lot of fun flying with Joe, Pat, Joe Z. , DS Dean, Bill Lorenz and a bunch of the old crowd guys at Parker before the speed thing took everything over. There would be several of us DSing at the same time. Sometimes doing mild aerobatics (except Joe W, who would do things we thought inpossible) and sometimes flying combat DS, which could be a riot. I recall we were always looking for smooth, consistent air at moderate speed.

It was fun, and even though I wasn't there as much as the other guys, it was a bring what you got and have fun atmosphere.

I am knocking the speed guys, just saying there can be more to it, like Joe said. I built my first JW heavy, then bought another and built it at 32 Oz. It wasn't as fast, but it was more fun.

I guess what I am saying is, try it, you'll like it too.

FWIW,

Jim
Tehachapi Jim is offline Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Feb 26, 2015, 02:02 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,908 Posts
I agree Jim, I too have found the joy in just DSing. It has been labelled with the crazy SPEED JUNKY brush and it isn't all about that. SO many locals have F3B models and JWs and Reapers sitting unused in their garages and I just can't convince them to come up the hills and fly them. Most don't like the thought of trying to land them, yet they can all land on the spot with them during flat field contests when they only have one shot at a landing....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:51 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,137 Posts
Landing is a breeze with the light JW. I just hand catch it. I can fly this thing anywhere because I can launch over obstacles with ease and then catch it so I don't even need an LZ. I love all my planes, heavy and light. But the super light JW has that extra special magic about it that has me kicking myself in the pants for not owning one years ago.

I find that I have less and less time to do Weldon and Parker trips which leaves me with short windows to fly locally. My local hills are plagued with no LZs, horrid launches and light wind. The featherweight JW seems impossible to break so there is no consequence for trying new flying sites or new maneuvers.

Last Saturday I went to Weldon and flew my heavy planes. I noticed that my DS skills had improved because I was flying the wild maneuvers days earlier with the light JW. 2 second orbits 3 feet off the deck in 12mph wind really hones the skills.

I am trying to get a JW furball going at my local hill with light 'dubs. Hoping a few of the other local guys will check out my plane to get motivated. Maybe we could get some JW combat going!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,868 Posts
The days of finding only speed freaks at Weldon, and probably Parker are long gone.
Come on up and enjoy some of that old timey DS fun. You might even witness a Radian sloping on the back.
Summer evenings are highly recommended.
Early April might get a bit crazy

Bruce Tebo Ds'ing his Radain at Weldon on 9-2-13 (1 min 8 sec)

Weldon DS. Low speed figure eights. JW vs. Bee. "Foamy furball" (0 min 25 sec)
Last edited by 1000MPH; Feb 26, 2015 at 02:52 PM.