SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:51 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
I'm particularly interested to know how the Wicked 4800 on 3S performs for you; that was the exact upgrade I was considering for my F9f. Happy holidays!
Sonny
There is a guy at our club who has that combo as it goes rather well. Not as fast as the 4000 on 4S
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:20 AM
An unexpected error occurred
Belgium, Flemish Region, Duffel
Joined Apr 2012
907 Posts
Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news.
Yesterday I did two test runs with the Wicked setup of 4800kV motor + EDF type 1, to measure the maximum current.
Today I wanted to measure static thrust, but before I could even reach WOT, the fan just disintegrated!
It just spit out all of its teeth without warning. No FOD (Foreign Object Damage), the inlet channel was clean (I really checked, like I do before every run).

I'm afraid that's really the end for me, I've had it....enough money spent on this.
Phaedra is online now Find More Posts by Phaedra
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news.
Yesterday I did two test runs with the Wicked setup of 4800kV motor + EDF type 1, to measure the maximum current.
Today I wanted to measure static thrust, but before I could even reach WOT, the fan just disintegrated!
It just spit out all of its teeth without warning. No FOD (Foreign Object Damage), the inlet channel was clean (I really checked, like I do before every run).

I'm afraid that's really the end for me, I've had it....enough money spent on this.
it happens to all of use sooner or later. fwiw fans are cheap from don.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:31 AM
An unexpected error occurred
Belgium, Flemish Region, Duffel
Joined Apr 2012
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
it happens to all of use sooner or later. fwiw fans are cheap from don.
I've never had this happen to me before, I'm baffled.
I'm just so frustrated, after all the hours of work I spent on this model yesterday and today.....
Fans may be cheap, but shipping and customs cost a multiple of what you pay for the fan, so I'm really done now....

I need to go and yell at someone.....or break something.
Phaedra is online now Find More Posts by Phaedra
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:13 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,447 Posts
my bad ...... did not look at your location............ does hobby king work $ wise? the fan is nothing special and avail there. easy on the dog
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,950 Posts
Just finished assembly on my Freewing Panther from Motion RC.
Probably won't get a chance to maiden it for about a week.
Glanced thru the manual, which wasn't really necessary.
Other than GG info & throws, you don't need a manual for this plane.
IMO, the build steps in the manual could very often lead to a crooked tail alignment (i didn't see a reason to follow the manual)
I glued the wings on first, then the vertical & then horizontals last.
That made it very easy to get the vertical & horizontal alignment correct.
I have the CG approx 1/4 inch in front of recommended & will be running 1800mah 30c batteries.
Can't wait to fly it.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:56 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,080 Posts
Quote:
Can't wait to fly it.
. Understand.

Guess which plane got in the first flight of the year Jan, 1, 2015? Yep, the Panther got the call. -6F, calm, deep snow on the ground. My toss was bad, but got on the sticks soon enough to correct and away we went. Landing was a skid on snow, almost right at my feet. Packed it in, as one flight is enough in this weather.

And yes, I still fly it 'stock'.

Enjoy!
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jan 04, 2015, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
. Understand.

Guess which plane got in the first flight of the year Jan, 1, 2015? Yep, the Panther got the call. -6F, calm, deep snow on the ground. My toss was bad, but got on the sticks soon enough to correct and away we went. Landing was a skid on snow, almost right at my feet. Packed it in, as one flight is enough in this weather.

And yes, I still fly it 'stock'.

Enjoy!

-6F & deep snow ?
I wouldn't even open my door, let alone go fly an RC plane.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:00 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,080 Posts
Well a man's gotta do what he has to do .... And the Panther met the requirements of a short, but fun flight early on New Year's day .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:01 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2014
375 Posts
Guys Im running 2200mah battery in this plane . I was wanting to know what the cg is for this battery? I went by the manual and what i thought was balanced with this battery unded up being tail heavy so much I couldnt fly it. I had to almost go way foward with the battery of this size.
fishface5 is offline Find More Posts by fishface5
Old Jan 20, 2015, 01:42 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface5 View Post
Guys Im running 2200mah battery in this plane . I was wanting to know what the cg is for this battery? I went by the manual and what i thought was balanced with this battery unded up being tail heavy so much I couldnt fly it. I had to almost go way foward with the battery of this size.
Is this the only battery you have tried in the plane? The correct CG location, measurement on the wing, doesn't change no matter what size battery you use. The placement of different weight batteries will need to change to maintain that balance point. A heavier battery forward of the wings leading edge should make it nose heavy, or if it is tail heavy with a lighter battery, should make it less tail heavy anyway.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:07 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2014
375 Posts
I have read several reviews on motion rc site and most folks that are using the 200 3s battery have to move it all the way foward to get the plane to fly properly. Its a strange one.
fishface5 is offline Find More Posts by fishface5
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:40 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,447 Posts
imo, for some reason power to weight effects needed cg on this one . i have flown mine a many different auw's . as weight increases w/o more power a forward cg really helps stability. by moving the fan forward i can run a light battery and over all the plane is better and cg can be moved back a bit . yrmv.

chuck.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 02:14 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,269 Posts
found this by accident: F9F with the CS12 64 (with the rcblog shroud, apparently)
FreewWing F9F Rcblog64mm12blade (2 min 45 sec)
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:52 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
found this by accident: F9F with the CS12 64 (with the rcblog shroud, apparently)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZ10OfQTFk
those cheaters sound so good . at that power it sounds like an model rocket! if i had enough runway 650watts w/ a 2200/4 cell . took awhile to get airborne . still like mine light and the sound is similar just not as loud.

chuck