New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by PlotShots
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
Alert
2.4G "Shot Down" by interference?

Guys, this past weekend, my brand new Tiger 2 lost its life due to what can only be described as "shot down" from interference...

Take-off was normal and true. I turned left to have it come back towards me. No issues. It was cruising at approximately 40 mph and straight-and-level. It had reached an altitude of about 150 feet and was passing by me about 200 feet away and 150 feet in altitude. THEN, it turned right, flipped upside-down, and lawn-darted into the field. Control inputs of any kind were useless in the 1.5 seconds it took to hot the ground.

Here are some specs on my equipment:
-2.4 G Spektrum DX7S
-O.S. 55 AX
-CG Tiger 2
-JR On/Off switch
-1,900 mAmp battery pack with 90% capacity verified post crash.
-5th flight of its life. Previous 4 flights had no issues.

Here's a picture I took just after its maiden flight from last week:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374677409.826067.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 62.0 KB
Description:

So what the hell happened?! Are 2.4G radios DANGEROUS???
PlotShots is offline Find More Posts by PlotShots
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Goodnight Irene
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,628 Posts
2.4 is not any more dangerous than the old 72MHg was. Some will disagree with me on that. Check your switches and all connections. I had a flaky connection in a plug on my switch. It was the plug from the switch to the RX. It acted funny on the ground and when I check the plug connections it straitened out. Thought I just had not plugged it in completely. The next flight the plane died.

EDIT; Give his a good read. Much wisdom here IMO. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963025
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Last edited by kenh3497; Jul 25, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,443 Posts
Plots, I've have had the same issue with some of my radio gear, namely Orange RX and Spektrum. I have heard of quite a few people having issues with DSM2 both on Spektrum gear and any other compatible TX/RX units.

For this, I have changed my radio gear, (tx module and rx units) to Corona DSSS.

I had the following issues: (and these failures have been Nitro, electric, and gliders)

Could spend 10-15 minutes flying then model just falls out of the sky, no correction could be made to flight path.

Models would fly for 2-3 minutes then have then same reaction. No modes of interference, no power lines, phone towers, and all my mobiles turned off, and flying alone.

Didn't matter what type of RX unit was being used, failures would happen at its pleasure.

Changing TX Module had no effect.

Since changing my Module and RX units out, I have never had the same issue. Never had drop outs / Brown outs, and have flow the models in the same location on numerous occasions. I am of the opinion that DSM2 is the real culprit.
Parkflyer81 is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,634 Posts
Hard to say what the reasons are.

My only 2.4 I have is a old 6i on dsm2 and I fly all kinds of glow airplanes with it from a old Kadet to a 118mph low wing similar to your deceased Tiger and lots inbetween.

Environmental reasons such as powerful transmissions could obliterate your signal and at speed a crash can happen quickly. Doubt FM would be any better in that situation.

I do believe that 2.4 "Spektrum" anyways is not all that its cracked up to be. Have witnessed a few unexplained loss of control issues with mates that are all using the new 8 and th DSMX... I don't think I'll ever abandon FM.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
Is there any way to check the radio and receiver (other than the retarded range check)? I am planning to call Spektrum and ask them about my symptoms and what could be the culprit.

In the meantime, I am putting together a Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee ARF and reusing the same engine and radio... What a terrifically put together aircraft. I couldn't build it any better for sure!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
...And the location of where I was flying the Tiger was VERY remote. No phones or phone lines, no electricity or power lines, and no neighbors for 5 miles in any direction in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Basically just paradise. Should not have been any interference of any kind.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,634 Posts
I'm putting together a Hangar 9 Cub and using FM. Have seen too many issues lately where I fly to have something this expensive go in for no real reason.

You can use AntennaSearch.com to find out what is in your area although it sounds remote but you never know.

The range check you speak of is the Reduced Power Output check?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by JPMacG
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2006
163 Posts
Check to see if your servos still work. I have had servos go bad in flight on two occasions. They went full deflection and would not respond.
JPMacG is offline Find More Posts by JPMacG
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
I had a nice, long discussion with Spektrum earlier this week and the result was to ship back my radio and receiver to them to check it out. We'll see what the verdict is...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by ace4rc
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,272 Posts
I have seen this happen many times in the Spektrum line of radios. Most at my field are leaving them.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:50 AM
Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,443 Posts
I take it most at your field then are on DSM2? I've not heard as of yet the same fault happening with DSMX.
Parkflyer81 is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:30 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,634 Posts
One single guy where we fly had had a couple of unexplained crashes with the DX8. The last one his transmitter was giving him a strange code error.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
Yeah, I'm finding out that Spektrum is still a kind of beta testbed for JR customers. I really like the ergonomics of the DX7S, though. Perhaps I will look into Airtronics, Futaba, or some other manufacturer...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
By the way, thank you all for your interest in this topic. I would like to know what TX/RX combo you all personally spend your money on to fly and have confidence in it.

THANKS!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
660 Posts
A lot of people use Spektrum with no problems.

Best bet is to get a data logger so if it happens again you might get some useful data on the cause.

I like hitec radio gear. I use the Eclipse 7 pro.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer