SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
Suppressed
United States, GA, Guyton
Joined Nov 2012
439 Posts
PlastiDip sticks to the foam great itself, but the lam gives it the extra strength.
murrelljimmy is offline Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by superevan
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelljimmy View Post
PlastiDip sticks to the foam great itself, but the lam gives it the extra strength.
Good to know. I think I might play around with that.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by IFLYOS
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,778 Posts
I didn't do a before and after weight, sorry. However, I don't think it added enough to negatively affect the way the plane flies based on the un-painted ones I have flown.
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
848 Posts
I have recently been searching for a good airframe to use for aerial mapping and have ordered a few different options t test out witht he Zephyr XL being one of them. So far I am unimpressed. I initially ordered 2 of them thinking I would use 1 for spare parts, but, about an hour after I ordered I decided that it was unneccisary and contacted Ritewing asking to cancel 1 of the orders and only ship one. I never recieved a response back and 2 hours later they shipped both of them without making any contact with me.

Then, when they finally arrived, considering the cost of these wings compared to chinese versions I am so far very unimpressed. The foam has mold markings all over it, the edges are completely unrefined and still have the mold seams protruding, and overall the quality is what I would expect from hobbyking, not a supposed higher end foam plane designed in the US. I also ordered multiple other airframes to test to see what was best, with only 2 of them being US designed and the rest being Chinese made. The Ritewing is by far the least refined and worst finish of all the planes I have ordered to date.

What is the deal? When ordering from a US based company that charges more I had expectations that the plane would be higher quality with better customer service than the chinese versions. In both categories I have been severly wrong.
Jman841 is online now Find More Posts by Jman841
Last edited by Jman841; Apr 19, 2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Edited typo
Old Apr 18, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by klique
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,796 Posts
Sorry you are dissatisfied. I have the molder do what is called cracking to get the surface density higher. China EPO is 1.0 or so density. I have my mold open slightly at the end of the cycle to close again to give it an extra sqeeze. This helps density get to 1.5 to 1.7. It's not as clean , but nothing a lite sanding block will not take care of. You will need to smooth and sand entire wing anyways before laminating. Build it and fly it, it flys awesome.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by klique
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,796 Posts
What email address did you email me trying to cancel? I printed your labels immediately and handed them to shipping. They get orders out in order received.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
848 Posts
Ok, sent you the email address and copy of it. I meant to say 2 hours after the email was sent, not 2 days. Sorry for the typo. We will test fly it soon so hopefully it's performance is better.
Jman841 is online now Find More Posts by Jman841
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by Hmerly
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
1,025 Posts
You'll like them. Chris' wings are fantastic platforms.
Hmerly is online now Find More Posts by Hmerly