SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2014, 02:57 AM
Milton Keynes, England.
Joined Nov 2007
81 Posts
Discussion
Giant foam Jumbo???

Hi Folks!

I had a bit of a throw back to my childhood....

Does anyone remember the huge foam glider that came in a bag???

You'd get it home and as soon as it was out of the bag and pluged together, it would be in the air.....

If you threw it hard, it would loop round and hit you in the back of the head and the wing would keep going past your face!!! Lol....

I would love to get one if they are still about...????
Killer55 is online now Find More Posts by Killer55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:58 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,675 Posts
Sounds like your childhood was pretty recent. You have been able to get foam gliders in bags as you describe, of various sizes up to fairly huge (about 60" span) at just about every model show I've been to for the past few years. You can also find them in Toys R Us and other toy shops from time to time.

I've even seen a few converted to RC and electric power .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 25, 2014, 04:59 AM
Milton Keynes, England.
Joined Nov 2007
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Sounds like your childhood was pretty recent. You have been able to get foam gliders in bags as you describe, of various sizes up to fairly huge (about 60" span) at just about every model show I've been to for the past few years. You can also find them in Toys R Us and other toy shops from time to time.

I've even seen a few converted to RC and electric power .

Steve
Ha! Thank you but I am 42 don't you know!

I've not been to a flying model show for some time....
I have a Toy-R-Us near by so I'll check them out...

60"??? Wow! I did want it for my daughter but also thought of RCing one! If I remember correctly, they flew great!!!

Do you know what they were called???

Dave.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:20 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
214 Posts
When I was a kid in the '70s, the popular foam glider was the "Soaring Sam." As I recall, the wingspan was around 52 inches. You could find them just about anywhere--toy stores, drug stores, etc. They actually flew pretty well. With a Cox .020 Pee Wee on a power pod, they flew even better and I almost lost one of my engines doing this. We also converted a couple to RC by hogging out pockets for the components, but the weight really diminished the performance and I think it was more fun as a free flight.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:20 PM
Milton Keynes, England.
Joined Nov 2007
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
When I was a kid in the '70s, the popular foam glider was the "Soaring Sam." As I recall, the wingspan was around 52 inches. You could find them just about anywhere--toy stores, drug stores, etc. They actually flew pretty well. With a Cox .020 Pee Wee on a power pod, they flew even better and I almost lost one of my engines doing this. We also converted a couple to RC by hogging out pockets for the components, but the weight really diminished the performance and I think it was more fun as a free flight.
Not sure that's the one Moeregaard????

The plane I remember looked very much like a 747??? I think???
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:40 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,071 Posts
Not the cheap version found in many toy stores, here is a large foam glider:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004SN...110_SY165_QL70

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer55 View Post
Not sure that's the one Moeregaard????

The plane I remember looked very much like a 747??? I think???
OK--I remember that one. I think it came along later. The Soaring Sam the usual sailplane characteristics--straight, double-tapered wings, slender fuselage, etc. Some were all-white Styrofoam, while others had white flying surfaces with orange fuselages. In addition to being available in toy stores, you could also find them being sold from vendors' carts at airshows and fairs. Guillow makes a large foam glider reminiscent of the SS, but the one I saw exhibited relatively poor quality.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
214 Posts
Here's some more information on the Soaring Sam, for what it's worth. The SS was made by the Bilway Corp., of New York, and made its debut in 1972. I don't know when production ended, but the life cycle of many toys is relatively short. I couldn't find any current information for the Bilway Corp., either.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
214 Posts
With box art like this, what kid wouldn't want a Soaring Sam?!
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Milton Keynes, England.
Joined Nov 2007
81 Posts
Wow! You know your stuff!

Either that or you got better hits on Google??? ;-)

I don't think it was the SS... The one I remember was all white foam, it had a low mounted (not quite bottom swept back wing that plugged into each side.

I am sure it was a 747 or looked like it???

I think I got bored back then as I also flew RC but now I see the appeal... so much fun to be had! :-)
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer55 View Post
Wow! You know your stuff!

Either that or you got better hits on Google??? ;-)

I don't think it was the SS... The one I remember was all white foam, it had a low mounted (not quite bottom swept back wing that plugged into each side.

I am sure it was a 747 or looked like it???

I think I got bored back then as I also flew RC but now I see the appeal... so much fun to be had! :-)
Here's the glider I purchased some time ago. It approximates the SS more closely than most, but the quality is very poor. The foam lacks the finish of the SS, the wings fit so loosely that they won't stay plugged in and because of this there is very little dihedral. The fuselage when viewed from above has the shape of a banana, giving this thing a permanent left turn. I can't imagine a kid with no modeling experience getting decent flights out of this one. What's sad is that it was obviously designed by someone with some free-flight modeling experience, since it has the lifting stab and aft CG of a free-flight model.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,675 Posts
I don't remember anything that looked MUCH like a 747 but I vaguely recollect some that at least had swept back wings. Something like http://www.skygeek.com/gui2000.html but I don't think that's the exact one.

As near as I can get is this one -
Toys'R'Us Virtually Indestructable Foam Glider (2 min 13 sec)

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,253 Posts
I have (ahem) 5 of those toys-r-us type gliders NIP, and 4 or 6 more for the grandkids to glide around when they're here.

FWIW if you install a 8" long 1/4 square balsa skid under the nose and put a hook on it you have one great towline glider! Might have to put a dead pencell under there also for some weight to add penetration, but if you get one of these 50 feet up on a nice summer day say bye-bye!

Haven't tried this yet.
Foam Chuck Gliders Converted to R/C (2 min 36 sec)
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Today, 12:07 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
At our slope a couple of guys added spars and radio gear and called them "Blue Light Specials". They covered them with 3M77 and plain ol' brown packing tape.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Today, 01:18 AM
Milton Keynes, England.
Joined Nov 2007
81 Posts
I think that's it guys! :-)

The RC one look like a dream and might just get my little girl flying...
I have found 2 stores here in the UK that have them and at 12.99, who can say no???

Thank you for you help.... :-)