SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by skytek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Discussion
Opening a private flying field

Has anyone here started up their own private flying field? Say one bought or rented a plot of land, laid down a tarmac runway and got any relevant permissions (if needbe). Can it be monetised? Would RC pilots be willing to pay, say, $25 a month for unlimited access to a good but basic flying field?
skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:33 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,963 Posts
Most clubs work under that model.
There are several in the Toronto area already.
Generally you pay by the year, so the finances are more certain.
If you go month by month you will only get any income during the summer.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Most clubs work under that model.
There are several in the Toronto area already.
Generally you pay by the year, so the finances are more certain.
If you go month by month you will only get any income during the summer.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually in Toronto most of the time but a couple of hours west. There are no flying clubs near me so I was just pondering on the idea of starting my own. I'm wondering how much time it would take and what the pay off would be like. If it covered all my costs plus some pocket change for my efforts I'd be happy and I'd have a good spot to fly in myself.

I'm wondering how it works with the membership management and making sure randomers don't show up and abuse the place etc.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 04:27 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,866 Posts
I have had my own field for over 10 years now and it has cost me a fair amount of money to build and maintain. Guys who come and fly are invites only and pay nothing.
This is the only way in my opinion, no BS what so ever.
Overall the field has run me about 1000.00 a year not including my time.
but I love it!

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
A dozen or so miles east of me in a wealthy area, a guy had his own commissioned AIRPORT. just a one lane strip but still. I think he owned department stores or something. It was shown on maps as Miller's Airport. Since grown over-the current owners don't fly.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:46 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I have had my own field for over 10 years now and it has cost me a fair amount of money to build and maintain. Guys who come and fly are invites only and pay nothing.
This is the only way in my opinion, no BS what so ever.
Overall the field has run me about 1000.00 a year not including my time.
but I love it!

Bill

Did you buy a plot for this purpose or do you rent land from a farmer?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:37 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek View Post
Did you buy a plot for this purpose or do you rent land from a farmer?
I don't pay anything for the land but I had to purchase 2 truck loads of soil, rent bobcat, large roller. Then buy seed, fertilizer and riding tractor with sweeper and roller.
I cut twice a week and takes 3 hours per cut. Also I cut weeds by hand and generally fill a wheel barrel 3 times in just a couple of hours.

I fly with the sun at my back, can takeoff in any direction, field is crowned so always dry and it's 2 minutes from home.

Bill
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:38 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
I don't pay anything for the land but I had to purchase 2 truck loads of soil, rent bobcat, large roller. Then buy seed, fertilizer and riding tractor with sweeper and roller.
I cut twice a week and takes 3 hours per cut. Also I cut weeds by hand and generally fill a wheel barrel 3 times in just a couple of hours.

I fly with the sun at my back, can takeoff in any direction, field is crowned so always dry and it's 2 minutes from home.

Bill
What's the minimum acreage I would need? It sounds like you don't have a runway but instead you keep the grass extra short and neat. I would love a really close-by flying field. Right now it's a struggle to find somewhere local. Sometimes the school is available but usually only in summer. The field behind our house is only useable when the crops are cut and there is no chance to land in it. Even crashing in it means walking out through deep mud and water so it's not a great spot. Then there's the local park but often the fields are in use by the soccer kids. It would be great to have a place that's guaranteed to be available every time I want to fly. I don't get to fly nearly as much as I'd like because of lack of locations.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:48 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,866 Posts
I've got 300X300 ft strip with 150 acres of farmland to fly over.

Bill
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:58 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
I've got 300X300 ft strip with 150 acres of farmland to fly over.

Bill
Farmland is not what I'm looking for. What happens when someone crashes their bird in the crops? The farmers don't like us walking through their fields to retrieve our "toys".
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,866 Posts
I grew up on a farm, learned how to walk through crops without hurting anything. Plus, I never crash!!

Bill
Old Today, 10:20 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
I grew up on a farm, learned how to walk through crops without hurting anything. Plus, I never crash!!

Bill
Hahaha, me neither. Honest...
Old Today, 10:21 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
409 Posts
Does anyone else have a view on this subject? Is it worth the hassle?