Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:20 AM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,440 Posts
Discussion
PL6 issue?

Hi guys,

I've got an intermittent issue on both of my PL6 units I'm hoping you could shed some light on for me.

Ok so basic operation is push yes to confirm lipo, it sits there for 30-40 seconds then the charge cycle begins. Occasionally after confirming lipo, both my chargers will 'hang' I guess you could say? After 5-10, and sometimes I've left it run over 15 minutes the charge cycle still hasn't begun. This has happened on accurate, fast and high power modes. When the issue does present itself, I cancel the charge, go through the menus and start again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it happens over and over until I turn the chargers off and come back a couple hours later and it's all good again.

Any ideas on what might be wrong or what I could be doing differently?
LooseSox is online now Find More Posts by LooseSox
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 01:30 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,221 Posts
What power supply are you using? Have you noticed if it only happens when both chargers are running? Or does it also happen when only one charger is connected to the supply?
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:49 AM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,440 Posts
I'm using a ProtekRC 60A power supply. Both chargers are run off the one supply. They are not always necessarily in use when the issue presents itself but they are usually both powered on. The funny thing is if it happens on one charger, and I swap the MPA and batteries to the other charger, odds are good the issue will be there too.

Can I assume you're thinking a possible power supply issue? I had the same issue with my original PL6 with my old power supply before getting the second PL6 and larger power supply.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:43 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,221 Posts
During the initialization phase of the charge cycle, the charger is matching the input to the output. Normally this takes about 40 seconds. If DC supply fluctuates the input/output matching may have trouble locking in.

In your case I would try varying the supply voltage. Since its easily adjustable on that supply, I would start with 20v. If that helps the issue, increase to 22v. I would not run that supply at 24v when charging 6s packs. Running at 22v-23v will help keep the charger's DC-DC converter out of the buck-boost oscillation range.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:40 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,440 Posts
Ok I'll give that a try. I only charge 3S and 4S packs, as I currently don't own any 6S batteries at present.